Shop Closing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The plus side is that you can get fast service and repairs on any gear(read as you don't have to mail it off and write off days/weeks for maintenance time).

Not my LDS. ScubaToys got my 3 regs repaired and returned faster than my normal LDS (Which sells gear I won't buy).
Great with the Nitrox stick, though their hours are inconvenient. They run frequent trips.

My other LDS beats even ScubaToys prices, is very nice, but won't fill my pre-90 STEEL 72's. They're about the same distance away as the other. No training offered, they refer to an independent instructor

LDS3 moved, and I can't find it. Mainly a tech training place. Slow to fill tanks, too.

LDS4, 5, and 6 closed.

Anyway, my condolences. It sucks when your friends move away...

My point is that people buying from .com's in order to save a buck, which are not located near them are very much shooting themselves in the foot. You don't fit into this category. I wonder if your purchasing would have gone the same route if your LDS/internet shop choice weren't the same.

I actually shopped with them when they were a "non internet" shop. Their prices were much higher then. So it was nice to see them have an across the board "price drop" and still continue with great customer service.

However, if the shop operators has been 'ass-holes' like I've seen in several shops, then I would have prob taken a majority of my business elsewhere, even if that was online. (but in that case I believe it is the shop that puts themselves in that predicament, not the customer). I think most other folks would have done the same thing.

Hey, "Birds" I think it would be good to stop by the shop in the next week or while Divers Supply is still open and let Howard and the guys know they will be missed and give them a big THANK YOU!!
I called the Macon HQ today and told them that same sentiment.
I'm going tomorrow and get my last fill from that big ole compressor that I will surely miss seeing. Howard said she's still there so far.

K, you would make one heck of a great scuba shop owner/manager.

The store is already picked over pretty good, as of this morning. I did buy a spear gun for 30% off. I wanted another HP100 but no discount on tanks. They still have lots of wetsuits and BCD's if someone is looking for that.

The store is already picked over pretty good, as of this morning. I did buy a spear gun for 30% off. I wanted another HP100 but no discount on tanks. They still have lots of wetsuits and BCD's if someone is looking for that.

I hate to tell you guys this, but when any shop (regardless of what they sell) closes that they have multiple stores, they always use the closing store to discount and sell the items they want to move/sell in a hurry. (it allows them to liquidate and sell below MAP on items, etc because the store is closing).

they will always transfer any stock that is high profit margin or can easily be sold at one of their other stores (or via mail order) to another store. (like their HQ store in Macon or their store in Marrietta).

I didn't expect them to have much in great deals there.

Discount on tanks all depends on how much over stock they would have. they can always transfer those tot another shop and sell them elsewhere.....

And that is where I was trying to say. Shops like this need to put pressure on the manufactures to lower prices for non online shops so they can compete with online shops. Don't get me wrong I love buying things from someone I can talk to and they show me how it goes but at the same time with times as hard as they are now most people myself included can't afford to pay an extra 20 or 30 bucks. I have a local shop that fills my air and does all of my repairs and maint. Somethings I will buy from that shop others I won't.

I think its more about changing the pricing model. there are some things that you just cannot get with online/mail away businesses. those include:
-in-water training
-fills
-expert fitting assistance (those that utilize that service then buy on-line are an issue)
-rapid turn around on service or some kinds of troubleshooting

pricing will end up being adjusted to reflect both the actual costs of delivering the service and the value of the service in the marketplace. however there will continue to be casualties as the pricing models evolve. thats just the way it is, no one is to blame. better managed and positioned businesses that correctly guess the future and move to meet it will win out, others will die. so be it, that is what keeps the economy healthy (and ladies and germs it is, this recent cycle is a natural phenomena but I digress...)

Evolve or die.

btw, anyone know where I can get my buggy whip serviced?

(no comments, actually I know where...)

I'm gonna make a small assumption and say that there are far MORE brick and mortar shops than viable internet shops. Your LDS might be an internet shop, but they may be undercutting the prices out of SEVERAL other people's brick and mortar shops. Where are those people supposed to go when their gear needs servicing or repair? I guess it doesn't matter to you what happens to all the other shops out there since your LDS is undercutting everyone elses prices, sucks to be everyone else!

Matt, are you turning into a commie? :rofl3:

Hey, "Birds" I think it would be good to stop by the shop in the next week or while Divers Supply is still open and let Howard and the guys know they will be missed and give them a big THANK YOU!!
I called the Macon HQ today and told them that same sentiment.
I'm going tomorrow and get my last fill from that big ole compressor that I will surely miss seeing. Howard said she's still there so far.

K, you would make one heck of a great scuba shop owner/manager.

maybe we should all pitch in and buy "la machina azul"

Martin,where have you been hiding at?

working my butt off!

ready to do some diving though, asap. I'm dried out. haven't been under water in almost 2 months. at this point I'll pretty much get in anything, I've got tanks ready to go. tomorrow?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom