Shooting the Big Bag!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never shot a 75 pounder, but I'd guess that there's no room for error with one that big.

..the mistake I made was biting off more than I could chew at a depth and obligation that I feel might have put myself or someone else at risk if the situation went really far south.

Thank you for that honest answer. A lesson to be kept in mind for all of us.

MBH I am assuming that same folding method is used for the 50lb SMB . I ask this because of the size of the bag...seems like pulling it out would be akin to the magician pulling out the endless hankies...but I am not seeing a better way to fit this in the quick draw bag

MBH, that bag holder looks like a solution for solving a non-existant problem. Just stuff the bag between you and the backplate. I personally attach a small piece of bungee with a blot snap on it and clip to the left d-ring, or the bottom of the plate in case it comes out. Plus, it give you something to yank on.

Last time I was on FL, I borrowed a bag from someone and didn't bother to even look at it before the dive. So, from 70' I launched a freaking Halcyon life raft. That was fun to "sail" in the current.

MBH- I do almost the exact same thing as you except I do a "Z" fold and then stuff it. I do it so the top fold pulls straight out so the whole bad just zips right out. I also just expose the little D ring and rip it when I need it. Nice and easy.

RTodd- the DR sleeve is pretty much the same as the MC pack from Halcyon. It's easily accessible, always deploys in a predictable manner, and it won't float away if you every have to make equipment adjustments during the dive. How is this "solution" any different from using bungee and a bolt snap? If anything I think the sleeve is a lot cleaner. Not bashing it, just interested to hear your opinion.

MBH- I do almost the exact same thing as you except I do a "Z" fold and then stuff it. I do it so the top fold pulls straight out so the whole bad just zips right out. I also just expose the little D ring and rip it when I need it. Nice and easy.

RTodd- the DR sleeve is pretty much the same as the MC pack from Halcyon. It's easily accessible, always deploys in a predictable manner, and it won't float away if you every have to make equipment adjustments during the dive. How is this "solution" any different from using bungee and a bolt snap? If anything I think the sleeve is a lot cleaner. Not bashing it, just interested to hear your opinion.

BEcause it hangs down underneath the place which is an unnecessary dangly since the bag can be tucked into the plate (even without a pocket) or into a hip pocket.

It's definitely not a dangly, it is sandwiched between the lower back and your tanks. It is invisible once the rig is donned. I think having that bolt snap and bungee sticking out from behind your back represents more of an entanglement hazard. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Battles, In the pics the pouch is definately below the bag. Are you saying the way you wear it is to push it up behind your back when you put on the plate?

I have a H storage pouch and its ugly to remove a bag while in midwater with a drysuit, dry gloves and all that. The 4.5ft closed SMB fits nicely in my left pocket though. Gotta shoot anything really big from deeep :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom