Shock cord to webbing help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveFass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was wondering how you strap down something like a backup light. I get that with the bulb end pointing to your feet you can use a bolt snap to clip one end of the light to your shoulder's D-ring. But the other end of the light needs to be secured too.

How exactly do you do that?! I can make a loop of shock cord, but how do I fasten the loop to the webbing? Should I add another D-ring?

To make it more complicated, I'm using a Dive Rite Transpac, which has the 1" webbing and the quick release clips. I guess it's okay to cover up the QR clip with the flashlight so long as I use the QR clip on the other side. Other ideas welcome. Thanks.

SteveFass:
I was wondering how you strap down something like a backup light. I get that with the bulb end pointing to your feet you can use a bolt snap to clip one end of the light to your shoulder's D-ring. But the other end of the light needs to be secured too.

How exactly do you do that?! I can make a loop of shock cord, but how do I fasten the loop to the webbing? Should I add another D-ring?

To make it more complicated, I'm using a Dive Rite Transpac, which has the 1" webbing and the quick release clips. I guess it's okay to cover up the QR clip with the flashlight so long as I use the QR clip on the other side. Other ideas welcome. Thanks.

Might be cheating, but I sew mine on. Make a loop around the webbing, large enough to accomadate the light. Secure the ends to each other with small zip ties.

Position the loop where necessary. (Good Idea to put the rig on.)

Mark the spot. I just hand sew a couple stitches around the bungee and through the webbing. All it's doing is keeping the bungee in the right place.

Works like a charm.

Tobin

I do it like most other Hogarthian/DIR configured divers - throw a few loops of inner tube on there when you're threading your backplate. You want to put an extra one on there so that if one breaks you've got a spare without having to rethread your backplate harness.

Or you can simply add another keeper.
Thread one end of the webbing through the keeper, then feed it through your shock cord loop and then feed it on through the other slot in the keeper.

the K

I sewed a 3" piece of shock cord (bungee) to the webbing. Heavy needle and nylon fishing line. I sewed each end to the edge of the webbing so nothing is protruding on the back of the webbing. I tried the Inner tube pieces but found them to be a bit small (too tight) to secure a PCa lite. But I did use Hogart's favorite color bungee.

Cool - that's so simple I never would have thought of that. But it's too permanent for me.
Boogie - I still don't get what keeps the ring of rubber suspended in space. There must be more to it I'm not getting.
Kraken - I like your idea with the weight keeper. If I make the shock cord loop with a zip tie, then if I want to temporarily remove the loop all I have to do it snip the zip tie. Another zip tie puts it back on again.

Ya see there, Steve !!!
And everybody thought I was just pretty !!!!

the K

Boogie711:
I do it like most other Hogarthian/DIR configured divers - throw a few loops of inner tube on there when you're threading your backplate. You want to put an extra one on there so that if one breaks you've got a spare without having to rethread your backplate harness.
Actually its pretty easy to add another one without having to re-thread the harness. But its still is good to have two in case one breaks during a dive.

With a Transpac:

Open the QR insert the loop of inner tube and close the QR so that the loop of inner tube goes around the shoulder strap. Then insert light.

Think: "simple"

I just tie a piece of bungee around the harness. Picture is worth 1000 words so here...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom