Shipping your gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone shipped their gear (fedex, ups, etc) to their destination? I'm flying standby, and don't want to take the risk of losing my luggage. My fins don't fit in a carry on. :)

It looks like the price will be the same for getting my stuff down to my destination, and I have someone there that can get the package. What do I need to look out for? Any tips?
I checked into this. The cost to ship was hundreds of dollars - one way. Far cheaper to pay for an extra bag and/or overweight charge. If all you're talking about having to check are fins - who cares? Worse case, they get lost, you get some more when you get there. Still probably cheaper than shipping everything.

I checked into this. The cost to ship was hundreds of dollars - one way. Far cheaper to pay for an extra bag and/or overweight charge. If all you're talking about having to check are fins - who cares? Worse case, they get lost, you get some more when you get there. Still probably cheaper than shipping everything.

Hundreds of dollars to ship where? You can ship USPS or UPS/FedEx ground for $50 or less anyplace domestic while avoiding excess baggage charges and not schlepping your gear through airports. A good example of people doing this in another context is ski gear. Now that airlines are charging up to $350 to bring skis, lots of people are shipping their skis/boots, even to heli-skiing lodges in Canada.

How about shipping doubles and deco bottle along with gear from Chicago to Straits of Mackinac? Thanks

I think there are special permits involved in shipping compressed gasses. That would likely be the costly part.

On fed-ex website, I put the dimensions of the box I"m using, and the weight, and they said $14 to ship MI to FL. But that's fins, suit, BC, boots, nothing fancy.

I did check with UPS. As long as the scuba cylinders are empty, they just go as a regular package without the haz mat contract. Has anyone done this, and if so, how were the doubles, deco cylinder packaged? Thanks

Last summer, I shipped all my gear (less weights and tank) dry suit etc from Chicago to Mermet Springs with the Post office. We just saved the box and they packed it up and sent it back to me once the gear was dry. It was about $70 both ways.

I just shipped with UPS. It was $20 to get it down there. It cost me a little more because I declared a value and got it insured.

where you feel it is in international shipping. I compared shipping to florida v.s. mexico and ....

I shipped ground.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom