Shipping update?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW, I finally received my Lifeline on Monday and I was able to register for an MMSI on Boat US as a diver. I love the product and I am glad I finally received it, I just wish Nautilus had been a little more up front and honest along the way. As I side note, it is very easy to program the MMSI, but apparently not so easy to change it if you want to use the MMSI of the boat you will be on for the day.

I would think that you would want to maintain your own independent MMSI. Is there a reason to want to adopt the MMSI of the boat you are on?

Since I teach at a LDS that is listed as a dealer, I stopped by yesterday to ask if they had some coming/in stock. The manager told me that she's been calling every couple months to check on their standing order for (10, I think) units, and every time been told "soon".

Right now they don't have any; haven't heard a peep regarding units in transit, or even if they are shipping. Actually, they've heard "absolutely nothing, like a black hole".

...A dealer.

All the best, James

Hold onto your transmitter buttons, fdog! They are here and they LOOK GREAT! I just picked mine up here at DEMA. Yay!

That's a good thing Pete! ...Obviously dealers are a bit further down on the food chain, though.

All the best, James

Mine arrived today. :D

Looks good, the connection to the PC and setup is simple.

Fdog- have them call directly next week. (everyones at DEMA right now) I know part of the problem on the pre orders is that they want to re-verify the orders prior to shipment and it takes time. When Mike called me he was very helpful and had his office staff ship it out the next morning.

Here is an update for the MMSI registration information. Thanks to a member post on another forum.

NOTE: MMSI regulations vary from country to country. Please check with your local authorities on how to obtain your MMSI. In the US please follow the instructions below as laid out by the organization Boat U.S

Technically, as a Boating organization, our MMSI registration database was created for Fixed Mount VHF’s on board recreational vessels cruising in U.S. waters only. The MMSI numbers themselves are coded as such. However, with the influx of VHF Handhelds that have hit the market, we have made accommodations for those to be registered as well, since they were also to be used in connection with boating.

Now the technology has expanded to non-boating related VHF Portables which also require an MMSI, yet there has not been an entity created to register them for an MMSI coded to signal this type of use. We are discussing this issue with the Coast Guard and FCC, but in the meantime, since Boat U.S. appears to be the only potential source for an MMSI for this type of VHF, here is what you can do:

Go ahead and obtain your MMSI through the Boat U.S. database at MMSI Registration for VHF/DSC but when you get to the second page of the application complete the required fields as follows:

Visit: MMSI Registration for VHF/DSC

Boat Type: XXX-Unspecified

Registration or Documentation #: None

Home Port: Area where you are most likely to be diving

Capacity: 1 (or more if you regularly dive with someone)

Radio Installation Type: Portable VHF/DSC/GPS

Remarks: This is a portable VHF for Scuba Diving and not associated with a particular boat. It will be used in [these] areas.

You will be able to login and update the registration at any point to include current locations should they change periodically.

If you have any questions, please let me know. Have a wonderful day and happy diving!

Kristin L. Loyd Supervisor,

Special Programs Marine Insurance Admin
(Surveyor Referral, MMSI, Captain Locator, Seaworthy Magazine)
kloyd@boatus.com
800-395-2628 x3561

Hi fdog,

Nautilus Lifeline and our distributors have been trying to contact everyone on the pre order list as fast as possible. We are shipping pre-orders in sequence where possible once we are able to verify that the shipping address and order amount is correct so it is important to let your dive shop know to contact us or their distributor to confirm their information so that we may complete their order. Thank you!

Wow, thanks to Boat U.S. for stepping up and solving the problem!
:D

NOTE: MMSI regulations vary from country to country. Please check with your local authorities on how to obtain your MMSI. In the US please follow the instructions below as laid out by the organization Boat U.S
Now the technology has expanded to non-boating related VHF Portables which also require an MMSI, yet there has not been an entity created to register them for an MMSI coded to signal this type of use. We are discussing this issue with the Coast Guard and FCC, ...

Thanks for the instructions, but my particular interest is the information that the FCC has non-boating use of Marine VHF on its radar (no pun intended). I've been inquiring about this in the thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/nautilus-lifeline/367463-what-legalities.html without getting much of a direct response. This is encouraging, particularly that BoatUS is allowing MMSI registration for scuba use after talking to the FCC.

Do you have any further information on when the FCC might be publishing any clarifications to the rules for Marine VHF use that would allow it by a diver unassociated with a "boat" or "vessel", and what form those changes might take?

Also in a post on Oct 27 you said
... Regulations do currently vary from country to country but everything is in flux right now as all signatory countries to ITU (International Telecommunications Union) are in the process of harmonizing requirements to be same around the world. The United States has been leading the way and other countries are switching over to the same requirements.

Do you have any information on the expected timeframe of this harmonization?

Please update this board with any information you receive on these subjects. I'd also welcome any links to where I can read about either or both directly.

Hoping to be a customer soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom