Shipping to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Dear all,

I have just sold a used dive computer to a guy based in Northern Thailand, I live in Hong Kong and was wondering about duties / taxes etc.

The computer is one of the newest around, but is being sold as used (I have genuinely used it).

Any advice on where I stand here? Are duties applicable?

I don't want the poor guy to end up saddled with a bunch of extra charges, so I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

it seems to be a lottery. If you are unlucky it will be stopped and customs will want a contribution.

On the other hand it may arrive with no problems at all

Would Fedex be an easy option, do you think?

You shipment will MOST LIKELY be stopped, depending on what and how you declare.
It's their standard procedure I believe. They really play by the book.

I've had numerous shipments coming in to Thailand and every time Fedex is involved, I pay tax.

Just this morning, I went to the custom house to pick up a package consisting of light arms assembly, and 'negotiated' with the customs officer for a lower tax rate. Paid the tax but no receipt [go figure :eyebrow:]

It's really a random game for me, but so far a 100% hit rate with Fedex.

apparently UPS is the same

they reckon (thai customs / mafia) that anything sent by courier is worth something and therefore fair game for "tax" with no receipt or a receipt for a lesser amount than they take

best bet, normal regiestered post, with insurance your end, with the name and address all in Thai

thats always worked for me :D

you can label it chicken feet etc .........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom