Shipping to Canada? Think Fast.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It wasn't the printouts... We in Canada are very envious of your American '3 Ring' Technology and the Pentagon knows this. There are '3 Ring' export restrictions to Canada - Keeping us dependent on the inferior '2 Ring' British ERO binders.

Dates back to the '3 Ring' Technology sharing scandal of the 1950's where it was suggested that Canada was the one who leaked '3 Ring' Know-how to North Korea.

Totally Untrue.

wow! mean wow!

and to think I though you Canadians were just after the little round paper knock-outs that scattered the floor from our 3 hole puncher! :shocked2:

<snicker>
2900828520101300361S500x500Q85.jpg
:

fixed that for you... :thumb:

Bring stuff in on a moderately regular basis and I HATE UPS. The brokerage fee is random as far as I can tell but it would be nice if I could avoid it using the Express service.

First choice is USPS, then FedEx and UPS ony if no other option exists. Unfortunately many US shippers will only ship UPS. I have never been charged brokerage on a USPS package, but I have been chaged the PST and GST as well as the $5.00 handling fee. That is a reasonable charge - the UPS brokerage fee is just silly - $65 for a $50 item - and you get the bill days or weeks later.

I now use a service in Point Roberts that will accept shipments from any of the couriers addressed to me - costs about $5.00 per shipment and avoids the whole issue. Point Roberts border crossing is almost always less than a 10 minute wait and I just pay the GST and PST coming back.

I have reached a point where unless something changes to my options, I will not order something from the US if USPS is not available. Again, that is based on my experience to date and can change when (or if) I become the randomn unlucky person. It is too bad that we get screwed as a consumer in a global economy but everybody sees an opportunity to line their pockets with our hard earned money.

I have a lot of friends south of the border that have allowed me to ship stuff to them.....and then I picked it up when I saw them OR they shipped it to me USPS where that was not an option from the seller.

So I just got a box from LP 3 min. ago. $330 of goods, $45 duty/taxes ... No broker Fee. Sent by Expedited - Thank you FedEX. I asked him why some companies only ship UPS surface, he said he had heard 'certain arrangements' can be made and winked. I will assume that he was just making a pass at me - I know what you are thinking, I should have waited until he left to try on the new farmer john from LP.

Anyhow, the computer is still sitting in Windsor, taking in the sights, until the UPS 'broker' gets over to bless it. It was sent Standard by mistake. I have been told not to expect it for a week and to expect a fee - straight form the horses mouth (UPS). apparently it has been tagged 'exception' in RED, which is UPS talk for '3 Ring Binder' (see above). Good thing I got a back up set of gauges from LP.

I'm still mad, and now I look the part in my new farmer john! :D

So, I am back from Belize - all relaxed and with my new certification! My 'new' computer was waiting for me, with charges attached - who could have guessed? So I have attached an exact accounting for those interested. And Steve, I did add a caveat at the end - you are correct in noting this is not close to and exhaustive model - but very useful in the range.

Before leaving I Phoned UPS to try to determine what my 'end cost' would be. I was directed to a table that 'suggested' the amount to be in the $23 to $24 range. I told the UPS rep I was surprised and had expected it to be about $60; she said "nooo, nothing like that". I should have recorded the call! $61.27 - where do they get these employees? Yesterday I called back. It took 'Ted' 7 minutes and 24 seconds to even find the broker fee table (that was unavailable to me as a Canadian) - I had to have him dictate the http address to get it!

As a Canadian (using either ups.com or ups.ca) we can not access (via UPS site navigation or site search functions) the 'bond fees' tables as laid out for US customers from based ISP addresses. UPS web-site code recognizes Canadian ISP location and re-directs inquiries to the Canadian (to US) duty fees page when searching for either Bond or Broker Fees - this was the table I was erroneously sent to previously. The fees charged US recipients is far different from that charged to Canadian recipients, between 1/2 to 1/3rd the cost. Here are the two tables.

Ref: Canada to US bound fees Charged to US recipients can be found here.

Ref: US to Canada bound fees Charged to Canadian recipients can be found here.

Bond/Broker fees are a Combined amount for the following MINIMUM number of Items,
Entry Preparation Charges + Bond Charges (the latter is Min. $5.85 USD) + C.O.D. (Charge to take your money for these charges at your door) + Tax (on all preceding)

Example

My Item was a 1.5 lb Dive computer (2 lb rate) Used, Value $380.00. 6" Cube Box. The cost comparison is as follows, All amounts are from UPS site information and all amounts correspond with UPS Customer Service, and my actual invoices.

Standard Service (drop off required) 8 Day Delivery
$20.90 (Base Rate) + $48.25 (Entry Preparation Charge) + $5.85 (Bond Charges)+ $4.25 (COD Charge) + $2.95 (GST on all these extra charges!) Total = $82.20

Expedited Service (Pick Up Included) 2 Day Delivery
Total = $67.99 USD Inclusive of all charges.

Saver Service (Pick Up Included) 1 Day Delivery
Total = $71.43 USD Inclusive of all charges.

It is important to note that the balance starts to shift as your package becomes heavy and large or small and cheap. For example, if my computer was 10 lbs it would cost me $13 MORE for overnight than 8 day standard. So the rule is not universal, but if you are shipping in the $100 value and up and not too heavy you should consider the alternate options to 'standard'.

I hope this precise example may be of some use to others. This is not an exhaustive comparative analysis but only a single verifiable example (excepting that I was not able to sent a duplicate package expedited and have relied on the tables and the statements of the UPS on line staff - which are suspect and very prone to error).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom