Shipping to Canada? Think Fast.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gummybun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is a general FYI post - meant to help cross border relations (Canada/US) on all the classified forums. If the staff can find a better place, please move me.

U.S. sellers (and Canadian buyers) need to be aware of the unfair commercial practices of the major courier companies (mostly UPS but also FedEx).

US sellers need to know that Canadian buyers are forced to pay 'broker fees' (undisclosed to the sender at the time of posting) upon delivery. If these fees are not paid the items are returned to the seller and the recipient and/or the seller will receive collection agency letters at a later date for the return cost of the merchandise. For this reason the buyers usually just 'cough up' the funds. But these fees can be significant and often are in excess of the value of the merchandise itself.

You can source many discussions if you google 'ups canada class action' - But no class action has yet been or is 'on track' to being successful.

It is important and useful to know that the offending service is the 'standard service' often touted to unwitting non-business users. If you spend an extra $10.00 or about 20% you can get the expedited service (3 day by USPS/FedEX) and with this service you get the goods sooner, at a choice of times, and NO BROKER fees. --- You Save Money By Sending Faster --- The Broker Fees are no small amount and often create friction between buyer and seller - even though it is by no means the sellers fault. I have asked sellers to use the more expensive method and they have been 'down-sold' service by the courier companies, and they have chosen it thinking that they are doing me a favor! They are just unwitting pawns, lining the pockets of UPS.

The Rules.

USPS Ground - 50/50 chance of Canada Customs 'surcharge' for inspection, but no broker fees.
USPS '1-3 day' - No Broker Fees, Tracking, Fast.
FedEX Standard - 50/50% chance of Broker Fee
FedEX (all classes above Standard) - clear sailing
UPS Standard - 100% chance of Broker Fee
UPS (all classes above Standard) - clear sailing

Motto - Faster is Faster (and Cheaper)

The only way to stop this practice is to use the marketplace - spread the word.

Where are you getting your information? I have much experience with shipping from the US into Canada and I do not see the same things you do. My experience is first hand:

USPS Ground - 100% (100+ shipments from <$10 up to $600+) free of anything relating to any customs charge....also comes with tracking
USPS '1-3 day' - No Experience
FedEX Standard - No Experience
FedEX (all classes above Standard) - 10+ shipments 100% charged brokerage fee + customs charges
UPS Standard - - 2+ shipments 100% charged brokerage fee + customs charges
UPS (all classes above Standard) - 4+ shipments 100% charged brokerage fee + customs charges

I am not actually saying your information is not accurate however it is not information that should be put out there as fact when it is not entirely true.

This is a general FYI post - meant to help cross border relations (Canada/US) on all the classified forums. If the staff can find a better place, please move me.

U.S. sellers (and Canadian buyers) need to be aware of the unfair commercial practices of the major courier companies (mostly UPS but also FedEx).

US sellers need to know that Canadian buyers are forced to pay 'broker fees' (undisclosed to the sender at the time of posting) upon delivery. If these fees are not paid the items are returned to the seller and the recipient and/or the seller will receive collection agency letters at a later date for the return cost of the merchandise. For this reason the buyers usually just 'cough up' the funds. But these fees can be significant and often are in excess of the value of the merchandise itself.

You can source many discussions if you google 'ups canada class action' - But no class action has yet been or is 'on track' to being successful.

It is important and useful to know that the offending service is the 'standard service' often touted to unwitting non-business users. If you spend an extra $10.00 or about 20% you can get the expedited service (3 day by USPS/FedEX) and with this service you get the goods sooner, at a choice of times, and NO BROKER fees. --- You Save Money By Sending Faster --- The Broker Fees are no small amount and often create friction between buyer and seller - even though it is by no means the sellers fault. I have asked sellers to use the more expensive method and they have been 'down-sold' service by the courier companies, and they have chosen it thinking that they are doing me a favor! They are just unwitting pawns, lining the pockets of UPS.

The Rules.

USPS Ground - 50/50 chance of Canada Customs 'surcharge' for inspection, but no broker fees.

The only way to stop this practice is to use the marketplace - spread the word.

wow! who knew, iv'e shipped many items to canada and never had a buyer tell me about this, but then again they usually ask for usps international express mail delivery. thanks for the heads-up

USPS Ground - 100% (100+ shipments from <$10 up to $600+) free of anything relating to any customs charge....also comes with tracking

Well you have been lucky...:confused:I have been hit with customs charge at least 50% of the time. Its starting to really piss me off. I ask the postal attendant and she said its random.

Good thread by the way...

Where are you getting your information? I have much experience with shipping from the US into Canada and I do not see the same things you do. My experience is first hand:

Thank you ScubaSteve, you question me but then go on to say you have no experience with half of what I am putting out there (in your own words!). I know you from other threads and I know you love an argument. Good for you - but I have no axe to grind, I am putting this out because so few people south of the border hear about it - till it happens, then they do not want to ship to Canada. You don't want to hinder friendly trade to Canada do you Steve ...?

Look at the search links I suggested. Look at the class action suits. You live in a bubble if you refuse to do the re-search. It is a fact.
Here, I'll help you get started, go here...

UPS &#8220;Brokerage fee&#8221; class-action Ronblog

I have a lot of real first hand experience too Steve - You want to trade numbers? - do you really want to have a pissing match? You might get wet.

I do not say there is no room for improvement on recording the 'reality' of numbers. This is only meant a heads up for buyers and sellers. By all means add your experience (Steve) and everyone else - it is all good - but please do not doubt or dismiss others reality based on your limited experience.

With this information we will all be better of selling and buying and being good 'borderless' friends at large. Right?

I've shipped several times to Canada, and use USPS International Parcel. I tick 'Gift' and insure the item for full amount on the Customs form. I don't know if this is a way to get around this situation (I'm not suggesting that you break / bend the law), but so far I haven't had any fees incurred.

The Rules.

I am not actually saying your information is not accurate however it is not information that should be put out there as fact when it is not entirely true.

Thank you ScubaSteve, you question me but then go on to say you have no experience with half of what I am putting out there (in your own words!). I know you from other threads and I know you love an argument. Good for you - but I have no axe to grind, I am putting this out because so few people south of the border hear about it - till it happens, then they do not want to ship to Canada. You don't want to hinder friendly trade to Canada do you Steve ...?

Look at the search links I suggested. Look at the class action suits. You live in a bubble if you refuse to do the re-search. It is a fact.
Here, I'll help you get started, go here...

UPS &#8220;Brokerage fee&#8221; class-action Ronblog

I have a lot of real first hand experience too Steve - You want to trade numbers? - do you really want to have a pissing match? You might get wet.

I do not say there is no room for improvement on recording the 'reality' of numbers. This is only meant a heads up for buyers and sellers. By all means add your experience (Steve) and everyone else - it is all good - but please do not doubt or dismiss others reality based on your limited experience.

With this information we will all be better of selling and buying and being good 'borderless' friends at large. Right?

WOW you are an angry individual and are in need of some therapy of some sort. Your need to read before blowing up. I could care less if you recognize me or where from. And I am thrilled that you think you know me. You really seem to get upset at being questioned. You also seem to want to beat your chest like a tough buy ("do you really want to have a pissing match? You might get wet" - are you for real???). FYI, I added my "QTY of shupments" so the reader would know what I am basing my experience on. I for one have no need to beat my chest. You can feel free to if you want. Do you know what gets me upset? When somebody passes information off as fact and then costs somebody else a lot of money. That is potentially what you could have done if your post was left as is. What you posted is far from fact. It may be your experience but it is NOT RULES. I never said I had experience with everything you added. I questioned where you got your information and still do since you did not answer. Further to that, I find it very funny and quite telling when an individual cannot accept when they are questioned.

The bottom line is gummybun, All I did was question where you got your information because my experience was different. I did NOT say that my information was all that anybody would experience......whereas you did say that by claiming that what you wrote were THE RULES. Pass information off as information and not fact. Hence my last statement:

Now, if you really want a pissing match, we can take it either to PM or another thread and I welcome it.....this way we do not detract from a good topic (but only when the information is passed as experience and not a 100% guarantee). Where you say I love an argument......a little bit wrong. This is perhaps more accurate: I am not afraid to confront a person and will not back down from someone who is passing unsafe or incorrect information.

And this is a question to all so that clear information is provided. When shipping USPS, have you actually been charged "customs charges" or have you been charged taxes? I believe every single shipment that I received using USPS was charged tax (GST) but not a single one has had any sort of Customs Charge. GST and Customs Charges are very different things.

Any USPS shipments I have received either arrive with no additional cost or I get charged sales taxes and a $5.00 Handling fee. I always request USPS priority mail and if it cannot be sent USPS then I will not make the purchase as I have had a bad experience with both UPS and FedEx. Over the Christmas period I had four deliveries on which I paid on two, luckily they were the cheaper items.

If a US company insists on only using UPS they are probably missing significant Canadian sales as most of the people I know will not use UPS for cross border purchases.

And this is a question to all so that clear information is provided. When shipping USPS, have you actually been charged "customs charges" or have you been charged taxes? I believe every single shipment that I received using USPS was charged tax (GST) but not a single one has had any sort of Customs Charge. GST and Customs Charges are very different things.

Unfortunately Steve I have been charged Customs...the postal employee gave me a long drawn out process to get my money back...I had to prove the product was made in the USA and send them all the documentation.

There have been times I don't get stung...I should keep an eye on the shipping labels to see if the seller is checking "gift".

Oh well...

Back
Top Bottom