Shipping tanks ahead when traveling in the U.S.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're overthinking the whole thing. A good diver who is fluent in diving doubles can dive an AL80 with no issue while on vacation. I routinely switch between 2 different rebreathers, diving AL 80's and diving steel 100's when out of town, and barely skip a beat.

By the time you're fluent in doubles, you'll likely also own a singles wing. My collection of wings ranges from an 18# wing for tropical diving with no wetsuit to 30# wing for NC coast diving to Zeagle BC with a 44# wing. Switching is easy.

I owned a set of steel 50's that I dove with when I got certified in 1985. I have zero desire to go back to small doubles. If I feel the urge to strap on doubles, I'd likely go with LP95's. If I want 100cf of air, I'd just dive a steel 100.

I am going to expand the OP's question for my situation. I am going on a dive trip but I am driving there should I leave my tanks (2 AL80s) at home and rent or bring them with me? I was planning on bringing them since the only cost I incur doing so is trunk space and hauling them around.

I am going to expand the OP's question for my situation. I am going on a dive trip but I am driving there should I leave my tanks (2 AL80s) at home and rent or bring them with me? I was planning on bringing them since the only cost I incur doing so is trunk space and hauling them around.

Toss them in the trunk ... when I drive and dive I bring all my cylinders.

As for the OP. Shipping full sized cylinders is silly unless you are selling them.

Depends. For Al 80's the cost of rental isn't too much more then the cost of fills. But if you like using your own tanks and don't mind the hassle of getting them filled for each trip then absolutely, take them along. On this Florida trip the trunk was filled with 2 120's, 2 100's, 2 80's, 2 72's, a 30 and a 19. Lord help us if we are ever rear ended!

10516659_10205995495948260_8850729002234321091_n.jpg

A properly packed car for a trip to Florida :D Plenty of nitrox, O2, trimix & deco gas, a rebreather, sorb, and a cooler full of Diet Mt. Dew up front. Somewhere in there are some clothes...

View attachment 220643

A properly packed car for a trip to Florida :D Plenty of nitrox, O2, trimix & deco gas, a rebreather, sorb, and a cooler full of Diet Mt. Dew up front. Somewhere in there are some clothes...
Not bad. But Sunday I'll try to snap a few shots of what you can do with a truck. :)

Ok I am taking the tanks ( in the trunk of my Buick):D Thanks folks!

2airishuman Side mount maybe a better option than back mounted doubles if you want to dive doubles when you travel. All you need for side mount tank mounting is travel side mount tank kits and the side mount bc. No bands or manifolds and rent 4 tanks and switch tank hardware between dives. If I was going to doubles I would go side mount because of the flexibility and ability to gear up the tanks in the water on a shore dive or enter the water with one tank from a boat and mount the other one in the water, my old back can't handle that much weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom