shipping across country, who's best

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rubbachicken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i need to get a package weighing about 15 pounds shipped from boston to salem oregon
who's best/ cheapest and relaible

thanks peeps

I arrange to have everything from $50,000 navigation computers to multimillion dollar aircraft engines shipped and Fedex has never let me down. Don't know if they're better or worse than UPS, just that they're on their A game. The same cannot be said for the USPS who I wouldn't trust to ship anything without biting my nails waiting to see if it gets there undamaged (or at all).

-Dan

The US Postal Service was good enough for the Hope Diamond :D

Package your item properly, no matter what shipper you use it may encounter some rough handling. USPS offers tracking and insurance and neither costs very much and overall the shipping costs are usually less expensive than any other carrier. You might see if your item will fit in one of the flat rate Priority boxes, if it does then it's only $8.95 for shipping.
Ber :lilbunny:

I arrange to have everything from $50,000 navigation computers to multimillion dollar aircraft engines shipped and Fedex has never let me down. Don't know if they're better or worse than UPS, just that they're on their A game. The same cannot be said for the USPS who I wouldn't trust to ship anything without biting my nails waiting to see if it gets there undamaged (or at all).

-Dan

You do know that USPS and FedEX kind of work together right? USPS shipments ride on FedEx aircraft.

The US Postal Service was good enough for the Hope Diamond :D

if you look at the stamp - it says 1958 or smth like that. so it's been 60 years ago. service can deteriorate.
i have nothing against any mail carrier (well with the exception of DHL that are PITA when sending smth abroad) just an observation.

I use ups for things that are hard to break. Best thing is if you insure it and it gets trashed keep proper documentation and they pay off fast.

You do know that USPS and FedEX kind of work together right? USPS shipments ride on FedEx aircraft.

And that's where the commonality ends....which makes their piss poor performance even less excusable. Even with assistance from a world class organization they still can't manage it.....it's amazing the difference between an organization that relies on quality, pricepoint, and service as opposed to a typical government agency.

-Dan

And that's where the commonality ends....which makes their piss poor performance even less excusable. Even with assistance from a world class organization they still can't manage it.....it's amazing the difference between an organization that relies on quality, pricepoint, and service as opposed to a typical government agency.

-Dan

The Postal Service isn't a government agency. No shipper is perfect and when you are the 3rd largest employer in the world there's bound to be a few people who are new and make a mistake but someone downstream usually catches the problem and gets the mail headed in the right direction. The vast majority of the mail (95+%) makes it to its destination on time. The Postal Service needs some work, yes but they are trying and adding some great services. I'm not terribly familiar with UPS or FedEx services, do they deliver on Saturday? Sunday? Holidays? USPS delivers 365 days of the year with no extra charges for Saturday, Sunday or Holiday delivery when you send something Express Mail...they DO deliver on Christmas day. Plus the post office doesn't add surcharges for residential or rural deliveries, forwarding, address corrections or fuel.

Besides, who else visits so many households so often that they often save people's lives when they notice the mail hasn't been collected. THAT is a service the other carriers CAN'T provide, familiarity with the customer's everyday lives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom