Shipping a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seansrs36

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am going to Phil in May to dive. It seems the resort I am going to only has AL 80. I am used to diving with my big steel tank. I am wondering would it even both worth it to ship my steel. Has anyone had experiences doing this? I was thinking of bringing just my 40 cf pony but it is a pain to sling when I have my camera gear. Would love to hear what others have done.

I can tell you to ship a tank from Fl shop to Alaska was going to be 140 so you could be looking at an easy 200 rt
What about buying a used on an bringing home a souvenir it would save 1/2 the shipping and you can get some deals. I just did a quick trip to Portland or for 2. Hp 119s good deal was had and I spent a day visiting a friend.
Check Craigslist see what is out there

Steel tanks are rare here in the Philippines so buying one here will be difficult. You can do it the Filipino way via a "Balikbayan Box" - ocean freight charged per volume and not by weight. Comes out pretty cheap but very slooow (45-60 days) so you have to plan ahead. Or you can ask your airline of choice regarding shipping steel cylinders. I've heard it's a hassle but I do not have any personal experience with this.

Some resorts do have 100 cu.f. Al tanks but they charge a little extra for them. You might be able to make a special request with the resort. This is assuming of course that it is the large volume of gas that you want that is why you are bringing your steel tanks along.

The Balikbayan Box is an easy way to get it here, But I have found it much more difficult to ship things "cheaply" back to the states...

Is it the bouyancy characteristics your most concerned with or something else? How big is your steel tank?

If cost is not an issue the airlines can bring it for you, but if it is HP you need to check w/the resort and make sure they can fill it for you..

Cheers,
Roger

As Pao said, steel tanks are hard to find here. I used to have a 100cuft steel tank, but sold that and got several smaller LP72s instead. Given the statement about slinging a 40, I assume that you're after greater volume? If so, then the suggestion for renting Al100s might be the way to go, or since not everyone carries them, there are shops in Metro Manila that sell Al100s for about the same as the cost of shipping your tank.

Unless rules have changed, a scuba tank, or any pressure container, must be shipped without a valve installed. So you will probably need a visual inspection at each destination, and the valve re-installed to use the tank. Do you want the steel tank that desperately ?

I am going to Phil in May to dive. It seems the resort I am going to only has AL 80. I am used to diving with my big steel tank. I am wondering would it even both worth it to ship my steel. Has anyone had experiences doing this? I was thinking of bringing just my 40 cf pony but it is a pain to sling when I have my camera gear. Would love to hear what others have done.
Why not just bring a set of bands and a plate and dive two al 80's as independent doubles means an extra set of regs but a lot of gas. Or I really think you will be surprised that vacation diving warm water with a al80 is not all that bad. I thought I would really suck down my last vacation al80 s but found that consumption was down and I got two very nice 63 min dives

i say just go with it and leave the tanks at home

No just have not been on in awhile. I would think about the side mount. Where can I get an AL 100 in Manila? I will be there for a day before going to Crystal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom