Sherwood SR2 low cracking effort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has the reg been serviced prior? Is the poppet seat an OEM one?

Has the reg been serviced prior? Is the poppet seat an OEM one?
Excellent question, Bob!
If the seat is old with a deep groove, the groove allows the poppet to slide toward the orifice, thus putting a little more slack in the spring.
We're talking hundredths of a millimeter, but it's enough.

"It ain't rocket science, but it sure is precise!"

I did replace with a kit and spring from… just found a nick in the seat. :oops:

1707855288730.jpeg

Northeast Scuba Supply Store

That's from insertion, and the seat scuffing against the lever foot.
No problem. It's outside the circle of orifice sealing.

Well, if 0.7" is the highest you can get with the knob out but microadjust in all the way, then you might indeed take the old spring and deliberately stretch it so its resting length is 2-4 mm longer. That distortion may add enough to the equation that the spring will be stiffer at its working length. Interesting for experiment's sake, though it also increases the chance that it might fracture in the future.
For a shim, McMaster-Carr 95630A217 (McMaster-Carr ) fits the Scubapro balance chamber, and may well fit the Sherwood as well.

That's from insertion, and the seat scuffing against the lever foot.
No problem. It's outside the circle of orifice sealing.

Well, if 0.7" is the highest you can get with the knob out but microadjust in all the way, then you might indeed take the old spring and deliberately stretch it so its resting length is 2-4 mm longer. That distortion may add enough to the equation that the spring will be stiffer at its working length. Interesting for experiment's sake, though it also increases the chance that it might fracture in the future.
For a shim, McMaster-Carr 95630A217 (McMaster-Carr ) fits the Scubapro balance chamber, and may well fit the Sherwood as well.

I’ll install the shims I have them and test… Just frustrating why a fairly new regulator would need to be shimmed up.

Two shims, very little help. Weird thing is when I adjust and raise the levers as high as I can with no leaks and good purge, if I move the adjuster a little bit It will violently FreeFlo and I’m not able to stop unless I turn the tank off. I noticed when this happens the lever drops.

Poppet upsidedown?

Poppet upsidedown?
No, no. I have the poppet tool for whatever that’s worth. Tried another spring, went up .8, plus two shims… knob all the way in, close to 1.1. Breathe OK no diaphragm lever separation..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom