Sherwood Oasis/Blizzard and the never ending Piston vs Diaphram

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with you the point of overkill has been reached on piston designs. The Mk 25 flows more air than it needs and the excessive flow rate just aggratates the potential for a freeze up in cold water.

As for the saltwater/crap in the ambient chamber issue I agree with you to an extent. But I have to point out that many diaphragm designs still have this problem. I don't think the dynamic sealing surface thing is an issue as I have not seen this as a problem in normal use.

Personally, I am old fashioned and really liked the SPEC boots and environmental silicone approach despite the extra mess when servicing them.

There is however a dry balanced piston design around. It uses a small diaphragm to transmit ambient pressure to the mabient chamber, and schrader valve to increase the ambient chamber to ambient pressure on descent and a one way valve to vent excess ambient pressure on ascent. It's simpler than it sounds and does keep the ambient pressure chamber dry.

i´m agree with DA..

i´ve dived SP for centuries with sometimes poor maintenance using my workhorse regulator for diving air and pool training....this is a old SP piston models and still in very good shape.....nowadays a thing which has not dry sealed system...(even in tropical weather) is a bad regulator which will be destroyed for corrosion just in the first dives...

i´m amanzed of that....

i hate to dive in open water with jet fins......i like long free dive ones...here current tend to be VERY hard..for open water we can use other things differents than the goods JJ and GI said for the DIR bible...

i like DIR philosophy but i fed up of the way too narrow to think sometimes of these guys....open water here is not like wakulla caves.....i won´t die if i´m not 100% DIR....

MechDiver:
What are moisture retention fins that would alleviate drymouth? There is no moisture to retain, thats why you get drymouth.

MD
Hi there, I also used to sometimes get the dry mouth syndrome, all I did to aleviate it was remove my reg', take some water in my mouth, swill it around and then spit it out and then replace my reg'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom