Sherwood Maximus Tuning for Warmer Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
When I did pool dives, I learned it was OK to set the reg pretty much just past the free-flow state.

When I dove cold (38F), I learned to tune the opposite way -- detune all the way, then open just enough so that it draws "reasonably". That avoids free flow (I'm living proof that a true newbie, doing OW/drysuit certs together, can get even a Sherwood to freeze -- start of 2nd dive, beaucoup weight, cold,... :)

Question, water's warm again (70F), and I've got 24 dives, feel comfortable, but my air consumption is high. Would easing the draw tend to cut my air consumption, improve my SAC? I'm trying to figure out if detuning (setting a hard draw) may actually be contributing to my fairly rapid air consumption.

(I dive freshwater w/12 pounds in a full 5 mm, 8 lbs for diveskin/core warmer, buoyancy OK, maintaining a desired constant depth, cardio good -- runner when not diving, not fiddling with my inflator)

Thanks!

Your reg adjustment is just one of many things (as you will find out) that will affect your SAC rate. Your posture under the water, physical fitness, comfort level, anxiety, nervousness, movement under the water, and kicking style will all have some effect on your SAC rate. When you find the ideal combination of them all that works for you, you may find that along with your SAC rate decreasing, you may likely use less weight.

As far as your reg goes, the way that you adjust it is moreso a comfort and functionality thing than anything else. The Maximus is nice in that you can adjust it across a reasonable range with only a quarter turn.

hope that helps.

Your Max can be set such that it will free flow when all the way "out". I actually prefer this arrangement because I can easily adjust it for the conditions. I use it as my 2nd primary on doubles. I keep it snug when using my 1st primary. If I switch to the Max for any reason I can quickly adjust it to near cracking pressure for the easiest breathing possible.

There are so many things that affect your SAC rate. Your mood (leading to more anxiety, etc.), obvious physical stress from current or hunting or such, shooting pictures, your buoyancy (if not neutral, always kicking to overcome negative/positive buoyancy), etc., etc. Experience will reduce this rate.

--Matt

markfm:
(I'm living proof that a true newbie, doing OW/drysuit certs together, can get even a Sherwood to freeze -- start of 2nd dive, beaucoup weight, cold,... :)

That's a claim to fame, Mark. You might be the only person on the planet to have managed that. :D

Would easing the draw tend to cut my air consumption, improve my SAC?

Not generally. I would expect that you'll get more mileage out of of the warmer water than the setting on the reg. The only thing that really improves SAC is improving your breathing patterns, relaxing the tension in your muscles and improving overall control of buoyancy and finning.

I'm trying to figure out if detuning (setting a hard draw) may actually be contributing to my fairly rapid air consumption.

I wouldn't think so unless you're going pretty overboard on it can causing CO2 buildup by inadequate ventilation. It is possible to set a Maximus to breathe stiffer than a Slurpie straw so opening it up will help you comfort wise even it doesn't help your SAC.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom