Sherwood: Maximus or Oasis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oasis's feature is that it provides for a "wet" breath. There are 2 vanes near the demand valve lever that capture the moisture from your exhaled breath, on the inhalation- this breath passes over the deposited moisture and eliminates drymouth.

The Maximus is as described below in other post's. Practically every model from Sherwood/Genesis is bulletproof.

Dear All,
Thanks for all the advices. We have finally bought the Oasis on Saturday and I think Oasis will be fine for her for a long time.

If you weren't told there will be a small steam of bubbles from a black plug on her first stage. It's the dry air bleed feature which contributes to Sherwood's simplicty. It will only cost her several breaths per dive. Without a hood she will be able to hear it.

Pete

I like all the Sherwood balanced regs for simplicity and ubiquity of support. My wife has a Blizzard that works great and I have an older Oasis. The Blizz has all the anti-drymouth features of the Oasis plus breath warming features for cold water. All Sherwood regs are inherently freezeup resistant because of the dry bleed system. The dry-bleed also keep the reg clean inside which is good if you don't like to take the risk of servicing your reg every year.

The Maximus has some extra swivels and an adjustment knob hat seem gratuitous to me. Simpler is better. Go with the
Bliz!

I have a maximus and never dove it it yet. its a used one i got from a freind. the under arm hose seems difrent at first but not bad. its too bad im diving apex other wise i would use it. its just sitting packed away. i thought about using it for deco's but no one used it or that.

We've used our Maximus rigs for deco bottles . . .

After they were rendered O2 clean & compatible.

I bought an Oasis as my first reg, four years ago. It has worked well for both warm water and cold. I think that it is a great entry level piece. I've never had a problem with drymouth. I am moving up to an Atomic B2, but I'm going to save the Oasis for my wife who may be getting certified.

David

RaymondCheung:
Dear All,
Thanks for all the advices. We have finally bought the Oasis on Saturday and I think Oasis will be fine for her for a long time.

I've been diving my Oasis since '88. I love the moisture retention system. I recently bought the Zeagle Envoy and definitely notice the dry-mouth. Can't bring myself (yet) to install the Apollo bio-filter.

The Oasis never let me down, has been serviced regularly, and has been as cold as 53* and as deep as 130'.

The Envoy breathes much better in odd positions, though.

Ive got a Maximus and well i like it and i dont . Underarm is nice at times and gets in the way at others . Breathes good past 130 , and remained trouble free for the year i used it and now its been replaced and its for sale.

I got to use a Maximus this past weekend, and I did not like it. I am sure there was something wrong with the adjustment, but It was either hard to breath, or a slight turn of the knob and it would freeflow. I normally use a Flathead VI, and this was the shop owners personal rig.
I am still unsure if I liked his Wisdom computer. There was a lot of information on the screen, but the screen was a bit small, but I guess to get a small package they have to make the writing small.

Back
Top Bottom