Sherwood Magnum nitrox ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As Thal said unless you are using mixes greater than 40% all regs are ok. And the statement about having to clean them once they've been used with "regular air" whatever that is also is a load of crap. Unless that air is full of oil or other contaminants and then you have even bigger issues to deal with. This is yet again another example of the lack of education in basic Open Water courses. It does not have to be a nitrox course to address these issues. It can be discussed at the same time as when we tell students not to go down to Bubba's fillin station to get their tanks filled. And yes it is also alot of CYA on the part of the manufacturers.

Just bought a new magnum myself. will i use it with nitrox, you bet! once i get certed on geezer gas. still confused though. maybe i should return it and get a different brand? thoughts please...

If Sherwood is standing by their statement that if must be converted and cleaned, then yes, I'd return it just as a matter of principle. Your LDS will be willing to trade it for a different brand reg.

If Sherwood is standing by their statement that if must be converted and cleaned, then yes, I'd return it just as a matter of principle. Your LDS will be willing to trade it for a different brand reg.

+1 agreed

I am not the official spokesman for Sherwood Scuba, I am one of the sales representatives.

But here is my line of thinking, if Sherwood or other regulator was to list every gas the regulator was not intended for the list would go on and on. For example, not to be used with Nitrox, not to be used with Argon, not to be used with Tri Mix, not to be used with Acetylene.... you get the picture.

No where in the Sherwood manual does it state "ready for Nitrox use", so why would we assume that it is ready? Other regulators promote that fact that they are Nitrox Ready, why would we assume it is safe to with Nitrox if the manual doesn't say that it is okay?

There are a couple of Sherwood Regulators that are Nitrox Ready out of the box, those are the SR1 and the Gemini.

Hope this clarifies things a little better.

Shouldn't matter whether he's the "official spokesperson" or not.

Apparent authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in pertinent part: "Apparent authority is a term used in the law of agency to describe a situation in which a principal leads a third party to believe that an agent has authority to bind the principal, even where the agent lacks the actual authority to bind the principal. In such circumstances, the law will hold the principal liable for the acts of the agent, out of fairness to the third party. "

Out of the box the Magnum reg is not Nitrox Ready. There is a kit that you can get at any Sherwood Dealer, and they can install the kit. The whole thing should cost you about what it costs for an annual service.

Good diving,

Sherwood Rep

Sherwood Scuba states as a matter of policy that our regulators "out of the box" are not Nitrox cleaned. In order to dive with Nitrox up to 40% it is reccomended that you have the regulator Nitrox cleaned and that you use the Nitrox parts kit.

If you choose to do otherwise that is your decision.

Good diving,

Sherwood Scuba Rep

first off, thanks for taking the time to participate here and answer users questions.

But why doesn't Sherwood catch up with the "rest of the dive industry" and offer all of it's regs as "nitrox ready"? I don't know of another "mainstream dive gear manufacturer" that doesn't offer this?

I am not the official spokesman for Sherwood Scuba, I am one of the sales representatives.

But here is my line of thinking, if Sherwood or other regulator was to list every gas the regulator was not intended for the list would go on and on. For example, not to be used with Nitrox, not to be used with Argon, not to be used with Tri Mix, not to be used with Acetylene.... you get the picture.

No where in the Sherwood manual does it state "ready for Nitrox use", so why would we assume that it is ready? Other regulators promote that fact that they are Nitrox Ready, why would we assume it is safe to with Nitrox if the manual doesn't say that it is okay?

Does the manual say it's safe to use with regular air? (perhaps it does... I don't know as Sherwood doesn't post all it's regulator model manuals online).

if not, how can we assume it's safe to use with regular air by using the above consideration?

the times I've used Sherwood gear, I've been very happy with it. I just don't see a reason to make the customer pay an extra $150 bucks to have to upgrade a regulator for it to be "nitrox ready" when this is easily done by every other manufacturer of dive gear.

I look forward to in the near future when Sherwood upgrades it's manufacturing process to include this.

There are a couple of Sherwood Regulators that are Nitrox Ready out of the box, those are the SR1 and the Gemini.

It clarifies nothing. I'd expect way more from someone in your position. This is a lack of knowledge, liability dodging, or a scam ... read the NOAA documents!

All regulators and all other gear (with the exception of cylinders and valves that will be used for partial pressure filling) are "NITROX Ready" out of the box. They are not "Oxygen Service" ready (which is something else entirely).

There is no reason, what-so-ever that a new regulator should not be used for any mix up to 40%.

Poseidon does, there is a table in their Extream manual that lays out the gas each type of Extream regulator is ok to use with. Maybe Sherwood should do the same.

Please define "Nitrox Clean" or "Nitro Ready"? And remember you are talking to an engineer.

No, you clarified nothing.

Back
Top Bottom