Sherwood Magnum nitrox ready?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kinda P/O'd right now.. I just bought a Sherwood Magnum, and it was selected from the shelf immediately following my selection of a Sherwood computer, from a Sherwood rep! During my conversation with this rep, I specifically asked about the nitrox features of the computer. Why then, would a Sherwood rep w/ an ounce of morality immediatley push upon me, the first time buyer, a reg that was not suitable for use with mixed gas?

Silly me?

I'm confused now. I see the magnum (I have an early 2000s version) all over touted as Nitrox ready for under 40%.

Case in point (2/3 down)
Another case in point

Are these sellers wrong?

I'm kinda P/O'd right now.. I just bought a Sherwood Magnum, and it was selected from the shelf immediately following my selection of a Sherwood computer, from a Sherwood rep! During my conversation with this rep, I specifically asked about the nitrox features of the computer. Why then, would a Sherwood rep w/ an ounce of morality immediatley push upon me, the first time buyer, a reg that was not suitable for use with mixed gas?

Silly me?

You will be fine. See post #3

Legal-speak:

Not Nitrox Ready = up to 40%

Nitrox Ready = 40%+

A non-nitrox reg will not suddenly blow up at 22%. A "nitrox" reg will not suddenly blow up at 41%. Atomic regs are rated to 80% (what, at 81% they catch fire? What O rings and seals are rated to 80%? You wanna tell me how that works??).

Nitrox diving usually means 32% or 36%, and I would dive any reg with those mixes. As divers we have two choices: Learn how stuff works and then use are brains, or read what's on the box and blindly follow.

That's my opinion. YMMV.
...if Sherwood or other regulator was to list every gas the regulator was not intended for the list would go on and on. For example, not to be used with Nitrox, not to be used with Argon, not to be used with Tri Mix, not to be used with Acetylene....

See what I mean? No reg rates for argon, acetylene or trimix. This is song-and-dance time. Nitrox is industry standard.

Where does Sherwood "state as a matter of policy that our regulators "out of the box" are not Nitrox cleaned."? I just finished reading the Sherwood Scuba Owner's Manual for the MAXIMUS SRB7600 and nowhere in that manual does it state that the regulator is not cleaned for nitrox use. Since the owners manual is the only documentation that a diver has for the regulator I would think it would be mentioned in the manual. Are you the official spokesperson for Sherwood Scuba?

The only place I had found anything with Nitrox ready is the Cylinder valve manual.

This is from the manual:

ENRICHED AIR KITS​
Sherwood valves come from the factory clean and lubricated with an oxygen compatible lubricant.
However, to convert Sherwood Scuba valves for use with air mixtures containing up to 40% oxygen,
Sherwood Enriched Air Conversion Kits must be installed. These kits contain proper o-ring and plug
seat compounds for use with air mixtures containing up to 40% oxygen. Used valves must be cleaned
for enriched air use prior to installation of kits by a technician trained for enriched air service, by a
recognized enriched air training agency.
Kit p/n​
3506-30N for type “A” yoke style packing (see page 10) (parts for one valve)
Kit p/n
3606-50N for type “B” DIN style packing (see page 11) (parts for one valve)

Sherwood regulators are not nitrox ready unless you rebuild them with the Nitrox kit, the new SR-1 according to the the owner's manual on page 6 has to be dedicated to nitrox or air , you can't switch

Sherwood regulators are not nitrox ready unless you rebuild them with the Nitrox kit, the new SR-1 according to the the owner's manual on page 6 has to be dedicated to nitrox or air , you can't switch

Here is page 6: (I added the red highlighting)

WARNING
Nitrox: The SR1 is manufactured for use with standard air or enriched air nitrox
(EAN) with an oxygen component not to exceed 40% at a maximum pressure
of 3500 psi (240) bar. If the regulator is used with standard air at any time
it will no longer be suitable for use with nitrox unless it is reconditioned for
nitrox use by a dealer or other expert trained in the proper cleaning methods.
Reconditioning involves cleaning to remove residual hydrocarbons that may
have been introduced through exposure to standard air. Failure to properly
clean the regulator may increase the risk of fire when used with nitrox. Such
risk could result in death or serious injury.

This appears to be the standard "cover our corporate butt" in case someone uses the reg and manages to hurt them self.

As I stated in my original post, I have been using Sherwood regs with Nitrox since 1997 and have had no problems and I will continue to use them with Nitrox. The bottom line is, do what you feel is comfortable to you.

Just bought a new magnum myself. will i use it with nitrox, you bet! once i get certed on geezer gas. still confused though. maybe i should return it and get a different brand? thoughts please...

I got my 10 year old Sherwood Magnum Blizzard and octo serviced recently. No one asked me if I wanted the nitrox service or regular service. I had no idea I should ask. Now I wonder which one I got. I also wonder if I asked for one and got the other, how would I ever know?

Hey guys ... that's all so much happy horse pucky. All regulators are "NITROX Ready up to 40%." Each and every one. The use of EAN up to 40% does not require any special prep of any kind. Where the confusion came in, and has been exploited by those who are either greedy or who have failed to read the stuff that Wells and Rutkowski wrote, was with cylinders that were filled by partial pressure mixing. You see, such cylinders (and valves) were exposed to 100% oxygen in the blending process and thus need to be oxygen clean. There really in no such thing as NITROX clean or NITROX service and I would not trust my gear to anyone who used those terms.

Back
Top Bottom