Sherwood Luna vs. Seaquest Diva

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maxjam98

Registered
Reaction score
I have been mulling over which women's BCD to purchase and am having "issues". I have been using a unisex Sherwood Silhouette for about 8 years with few problems, but now that I have had the chance to try on a couple of the ladies' BC's... I am thinking that I was just nuts!

Several websites list the Sherwood Luna as a best buy. Best jacket for the money, basically. However, if I am already going to be spending hundreds of dollars... I want a really GOOD jacket. Several sources say the Luna has weight pockets that are small and interfere with BCD usage.

I looked at the Diva DQ and really liked it, BUT... the 'sports bra' is made of some kind of spandex/lycra and even the store models were already 'pilling' and had abrasions. I am not sure that this material will hold up really well. Won't it eventually lose it's elasticity? I have not been able to find a Diva LX locally... is the sports bra in that one different? I have read that it is neoprene. If anyone has been able to use any of these BC's for an extended period of time... I would love to hear what you have to say about them. Thanks for your time!

Hi! Maxjam98,

I haven't had a lot of dive time in my Diva LX, but I can say I love the fit and the "sports bra" part of it is neoprene and I also like the way it helps to keep the BC in place. It is so much better than a "unisex" BC for me. I am a larger sized woman diver, who got tired of trying to find a well fitting "unisex" BC. I bit the bullet and ordered one through my LDS even though they didn't have one for me to try on (they promised if it didn't fit or I didn't like it they would reorder or find me another type). I haven't been sorry that I went for it.

I have a Luna. I love everything about it except that I've lost a weight pocket once already. I've only used it 5 times. The way the quick release handles are arranged, my octopus pulled it up and it came out. I moved my octopus and it stopped this from happening. I now have an integrated safe second and bc inflator. On another dive, the console retractor pulled the handle up, but the weight pocket didn't come out. I think if I'm careful it won't happen again. I was just getting used to it when it occurred.

I love the postion it floats me in at the surface. It's very comfortable. The bladder in front inflates away from you so there is no squeeze. The cummerbund is very comfortable tome on this one, and it wasn't on a couple of others that I tried. It's easy to use, and has decent pockets. I have recommended it several times on the board, but I don't think there are a lot of women that use it. I'm very happy with mine.

I hope this helps.

I bought the Seaquest Diva LX last year and took it on my dive trip to Turks and Caicos. It was great! I had a unisex previously and the Diva was much more comfortable. I really like the intergrated weights. I hope this helps.

Diane

A dive buddy likes to tease me about how long I hold on to equipment but several years ago purchased a Diva when my comfy old BC finally had to be retired. I know the new BC's designed for women are loved by many, but I miss my old BC! Another diver I met in Bonaire said the same thing as we sat sporting our new BC's. What I liked about the old BC?

Big pockets--I think the Diva's pockets are so small I don't even use them.
Warmer--They've trimmed so much off the new BC's, I felt my old one provided more warmth in front.

The Diva works fine and has many good qualities. I'm not saying don't buy, just saying I must be old-fashioned from the grunge era.

I would like to start by saying that I'm using my husband's name to respond. So, don't get the wrong idea. :)

I have the Diva BC and love it. Yes, there is a nylon type material as the bra part and don't mind it and it is still perfactly intact. I also own an Areis back inflation type and I also like that one. Now you are probably wondering why I own two of them. The Aries is great and I wear that with the Drysuit. I could also wear it in the warmer waters but I choose not to. The Diva is much more of a better fit when wearing just a skin suit. Its cut around the chest and underarms is better than some of the other BC out there.

One word of advice, don't let the material of the bra change your mind about purchasing it. I have at least 70 dives with it both in New England and the Caribbean. That does not include class related dives and open waters. The bra is still in great shape.

Paul's Wife

I have the Luna and really liked it for me. Is there a way you can rent or borrow both and dive in them before purchase? Experience is always the best teacher. What may work for one person may not work for someone else.
:sun:

Several months ago I purchase the Luna and have only used in the pool so far, but am very pleased with my purchase. For me it fits perfect and never feels like it is squeezing you even when fully inflated. The weight pockets are easy to use with the trim weight pockets on the back. As a gift my husband bought me the accessory kit with light and retractor, console retractor. I can't wait to try it in Roatan in 30 days.

Back
Top Bottom