Sherwood first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dry air bleed system is no longer part of the current design.
No. The 9000 does have a vent valve that can bleed a little air if/as needed, but it is not a continuous release like the dry bleed was.
SR2 does not even have that.

C0DA57F2-4FF9-43D4-8FD6-E4962A92C142.jpeg
picture from Rob’s post.
This looks like a bleed hole, they call the part that covers it a vent cover, a bleed is what it looks like but I just don’t have any experience with these, what is the connection from the outside pressure that transmits that to the inside to balance? Apeks dry chamber, like most diaphragms that are sealed transfer pressure through a transmitter to the diaphragm, the Atomic transfers the pressure through the grease on a sealed reg. So I guess my question is does the “vent cap” (or is it vent ring) seal tight enough to be a flexible pressure transmitter?
@lexvil dry seal, not bleed. similar in concept to apeks style sealing.

15 - Three pin link acts as a transmitter. it goes all the way up through the body to the pressure plate - 7.

the vent is for opv purposes iirc, it doesn't actively bubble like the old dry bleed under normal conditions.

15 - Three pin link acts as a transmitter. it goes all the way up through the body to the pressure plate - 7.

the vent is for opv purposes iirc, it doesn't actively bubble like the old dry bleed under normal conditions.
I figured that about the 3 pin part but I don’t get where it picking up ambient pressure?

It picks up ambient from the outer diaphragm, part #18 above. Ambient pressure pushes on the plate, part #7, which is transmitted via the pins to the cylindrical part of #15, pushing on the piston head, holding it away from the seat until the higher absolute IP at depth is equivalent to the set relative IP + ambient.

It picks up ambient from the outer diaphragm, part #18 above. Ambient pressure pushes on the plate, part #7, which is transmitted via the pins to the cylindrical part of #15, pushing on the piston head, holding it away from the seat until the higher absolute IP at depth is equivalent to the set relative IP + ambient.
Got it, completely missed that diaphragm! Pretty cool concept, how well does it function in use?

Got it, completely missed that diaphragm! Pretty cool concept, how well does it function in use?
Flow is huge! As big as they brag about.
Haven't taken it deep, so who knows yet? But given my obsession about environmental sealing in my "floaty crap" environment, this first stage ranks pretty high. Easier than packing lube in my Atomics. But having to disassemble the piston each service doesn't save me any time over AA.
But the number of Sherwood divers out here on the Left Coast is between zero and none.

The SR2 Pistophragm!

But the number of Sherwood divers out here on the Left Coast is between zero and none.

At least one, I’ve been diving a Magnum on the North Coast since 1980, although it’s been on my pony since 2010 when I picked up another Magnum. Also grabbed a Blizzard first from LeisurePro cheap in 2012. I swap seconds a lot, and prefer old metal regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom