Sherwood Blizzard Regulator 2005 Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deciding with the ATX50 regulator and the DS4 first stage along with the ATX50 Octopus, which type of valve should I go with? DIN or YOKE? I do live in the U.S. and all of the tanks I have rented so far have had yoke valves on them. I will eventually buy my own tanks but for now I will just be renting them. But If I get a Yoke adapter that should allow me to use both style of tanks without much of a problem correct? Also you can just screw them on by hand correct? No tools are need are they?

http://experts.about.com/q/1649/1229270.htm:
First, get a DIN style regulator and a yoke adaptor. This is an adaptor that screws onto the threaded part of the DIN style 1st stage, basically converting it into a yoke style. This type of adaptor can be screwed on by hand, but is kind of bulky if you use yoke valve cylinders most of the time.

How bulky are they?

So I am assuming getting an adapter is what I should do? Is that what you people do when found in such a situation?

Also I found this document on explaining the difference between a DIN and Yoke valve. For anyone new out there you might be interested in reading this.
http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/dinyoke.htm

Also would you guys recommend getting the ATX50 Octopus? Or just a ATX40 Octopus? From what I have been reading the only difference is the that the ATX50 has the
venturi (IVS) and cracking resistance control (CRC) and also the hose is supplied with 3/8" UNF thread, but can be produced with 1/2" UNF to order. And the ATX40 does not. I guess if there isn't a big price difference I will go with the ATX50 Octopus.

One last question, what are Oxygen compatibility kits? I noticed they talk about those on the Apeks website.

Thanks

MikeyJay:
D I do live in the U.S. and all of the tanks I have rented so far have had yoke valves on them. I will eventually buy my own tanks but for now I will just be renting them. But If I get a Yoke adapter that should allow me to use both style of tanks without much of a problem correct? Also you can just screw them on by hand correct? No tools are need are they?

How bulky are they?

So I am assuming getting an adapter is what I should do? Is that what you people do when found in such a situation?

Also I found this document on explaining the difference between a DIN and Yoke valve. For anyone new out there you might be interested in reading this.
http://www.ukrecscuba.org.uk/ukdiver/dinyoke.htm

Thanks

Two things to look at IMO...

What does the adapter and Din regulator stack up to? Some do get to a little long and can poke you in the head, neck, back, whatever. If that's the case it may not be a good choice as a default configuration.

If your typical rental tank is either LP steel or Aluminum then yoke may be the path of least resistance. Most or all current yokes are good for high pressure (230BAR/3442PSI) so you're even covered there.

When you invest in your tanks you will probably end up with a convertible valve and can then swap out the valve adapter on the regulator to be DIN from then on if you so choose. Din is largely regarded as a superior connection.

I guess what I'm saying is that running a DIN with a yoke adpater long term may get in the way and it is surely one extra failure point so I'd avoid it as a standard configuration. For DIN users on vacation or snagging an extra cylinder it's a good solution.

Pete

I've used a Yoke adapter on my ATX200 and I think it only makes it protrude maybe 1/2 inch more than before I converted it to DIN. Certainly doesn't poke me in the head. If you go DIN, buy an adapter. Many resorts only have Yoke tanks, and only some have adapters (usually the ones that service European customers)

If you will only be diving with Yoke tanks for a while, you can always buy the reg as Yoke and then buy an Apeks conversion kit to config it as a DIN reg ($55 USD on Leisurepro). Your local reg tech can put it on when you get your reg serviced, or if you know what you're doing (you can easily wreck the reg if you don't) you can change it over yourself.

When you buy your own tanks, IMO, DIN is the way to go.

An ATX40 Octo if fine. You don't need to fine tune breathing resistance when you are bailing from a dive.

All of the LP ports on the DS4 are 3/8" UNF. The reason the ATX50 second stage is available with a 1/2" UNF hose is that regs like the ATX200 (FSR first stage) have a 1/2" primary LP port. Not having to deal with a 1/2" port is one of the reasons the DS4 first stage is favoured by the Tech-heads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom