Sherwood Blizzard Regulator 2005 Model

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeyJay

Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a Sherwood Blizzard 2005 model off the web. I am new to diving and was wondering what anyone thoughts were on this choice of regulator. I do plan on diving a lot near and around Michigan. I also was reading that this is nice reg for cold water diving (Michigan). So if anyone has any thoughts, ideas please let me know. I am looking for something durable and reliable, and that will work for shallow and deep as well as warm and cold-water dives. Also when you buy a brand new regulator from a dive store over the internet, does the regulator need to be serviced before use? Or do they come serviced when you buy them?

Here is a link to a post I made last month detailing my purchase decision. As you will read my only real concern was the ease of breathing concerns.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1150519&postcount=3

Just this afternoon I made my deepest yet dive spending time at 78 feet. The one thing I did notice that I had no ease of breathing issues whatsoever. It was also a dark and chilly 44F and everything was nice. In fact my buddy for this dive was using a Sherwood Brute and she had no issues whatsoever!

My wife was with me on a second dive to 60 feet, her deepest yet and while she is probably not as stong respiration wise she had no problem and did not notice any degradation what-so-ever.

I don't discount the reports that at some point it becomes an issue but I'm more confident than ever that these will serve our needs for a good while to come.

Any factory fresh regulator should be ready to dive providing you are up to making up the hose connections. Some dealers may put a new unit on a flow bench to check things out pre-sale, not likey online. If you have a problem or even suspect one you're playing the mail game instead of diving. Have you visted a local Sherwood dealer or 2 and put your cards on the table? You may find the $$ close enough make buying local and getting local service a no brainer.

Pete

I have an Apeks ATX200 on the right post of my doubles, and my (5 year) old Sherwood Blizzard on the left post (backup). There is a noticable difference in the performance of the two regs, with the Apeks being very much easier to breath at 80 feet or more.

Since an Apeks DS4/ATX50 is in the same price range at the Blizzard, I would buy it over the Sherwood any day.

Performance aside, the Blizzard has been a trouble free reg in ever all water temps (35F to 80F) and depths up to 130feet.

If you are looking for a regulator that will grow with you and that you will never have to replace, I would look at the Apeks. They have a lifetime warranty, but be careful that the place where you buy it is an authorized dealer. You will never trade it in...

Are local dive shops the only dealers in Apeks regulators? I haven't found any sites on the Internet that sell them. I was also wondering what the difference between the Apeks TX50 and the ATX50. It looks like the TX50 is a backup Octo regulator, from the picture on Apeks website. But I also noticed that they make a ATX50 Octo reg. One last question, what is a rough estimate of how much the ATX50's are going for? One LDS told me $520.00 for the ATX50 and $225 for the ATX50 Octo or maybe it was for just the TX I can't remember. Does this sound about right?

Thanks for everyone's help.

ATX50
atx502ndstagelowres.jpg

TX50
tx50.jpg

Secondary Air - ATX50 Octopus
atx50_octo.jpg

Forgive me for I am new, but If I were to purchase say an Apeks ATX50 regulator aka the second stage, a first stage is not included with the regulator? I wasn't sure why darkstar said DS4/ATX50, but I guess now I know why. I just assumed that when you purchase a regulator both stages are included. Please correct if I am wrong. Also I noticed the DS4 only has 1 high-pressure port, is this suitable? Also what do most people choose DIN or A clamp versions

DS4 & Adapter
ds4.jpg

DS4 stands for Dry Sealed System. This regulator is as simple as it gets with no turret assembly. It enjoys 4 MP ports 3/8 UNF & 1 HP port 7/16 UNF. This unit is economical and is equally suited for both the beginner who is single tank diving and the multi cylinder technical diver.

MikeyJay:
Forgive me for I am new, but If I were to purchase say an Apeks ATX50 regulator aka the second stage, a first stage is not included with the regulator? I wasn't sure why darkstar said DS4/ATX50, but I guess now I know why. I just assumed that when you purchase a regulator both stages are included. Please correct if I am wrong. Also I noticed the DS4 only has 1 high-pressure port, is this suitable? Also what do most people choose DIN or A clamp versions

DS4 & Adapter
ds4.jpg

DS4 stands for Dry Sealed System. This regulator is as simple as it gets with no turret assembly. It enjoys 4 MP ports 3/8 UNF & 1 HP port 7/16 UNF. This unit is economical and is equally suited for both the beginner who is single tank diving and the multi cylinder technical diver.

There is a bundle called the ATX50 that comes with an ATX50 second stage, but the default first stage (I think it's a DST) has a swivel that is not favoured by tech divers . I mentioned that ATX50 second stage just becuase it seems to be easier to find these days. The TX50 is just a little heavier with a wider exhaust T. Some like it better.

I prefer DIN. I think yoke adapters will eventually be phased out.

Unless you have a computer with transmitter, 1 HP port is all you need.

I use the Blizzard as my main reg. I had the diveshop tune it for summer diving because it May Come Tuned for winter diving. Hard to say if it needS adjusting from mail order. I believe Winter diving tuned makes it. breath a bit harder but less prone to free flow. I like the reg and in the last 2 weeks I was at 120'. I am also a small guy and I don't usually suck hard on the regulator.

When purchased I dove in 34-36 F water then had it tuned or loosened for the summer. No problems.

The TX50 is the older model of the apeks range. It is (as mentioned) a little larger, and has alot better exhaust dispersion. The ATX is nice and light though. I have the ATX,
As for the first stage, the stadard first stage for the 50 model is the DST (dry sealed turret). If specified you can get it with the DS4 first stage (which is what I did). It is a little more compact that the turret version, and yes it only has one HP port. I don't think that this is a major downfall.
As for DIN or yoke, I (and I think most others) prefer DIN as it is more compact and lower profile as well as it has a captured o-ring, which means no more extruded, torn, or dried out tank face o-rings. The only catch is availability. If you have your own tanks and they are DIN by all means go ahead. Otherwise, check with your LDS and they will letyou know which is more prevalent in their area.
Lastly as for the question of which first (DST or DS4) or second (STX or TX) stage to get, everyone will just tell you what they have. Make your own decision based on personal preference. You don't have to worry about the TX going out of service either it has the same internals as the ATX....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom