Sherwood Avid BCD Recall?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KPmel

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I purchased a Sherwood Avid BCD off ebay 2 years ago. I do not know the exact age but would estimate it to be circa 2006 or 2007. I had some issues with the power inflator sticking open and inflating the vest at a slow rate. I did a Google search on this issue and found a notice on the DAN site stating some Sherwood Avids are subject to recall for issues with the power inflator. I did a search of the Consumer Product Safety Commission site and found no confirmation of such a recall.

Can anyone shed any light on this issue for me? Is there possibly a recall on this BCD that I need to have serviced? I should add that my inflator is equipped with a Grey button. In the course of my research I think I read somewhere that BCDs with a Blue button were not subject to recall or that defective Grey button inflator units were being replaced with Blue button units.

Thanks.

I took my 2004 vintage Sherwood Freedom to the pool today to check things out and have the problem mentioned on the DAN site. Just blip the button once and it constantly inflated the BC. I took it apart and cleaned it to no avail. Mine is not within the serial number range on the DAN site as it is maybe a year newer and it has the blue button. Ordering a new inflater tonight.

This was the DAN site:

DAN | News

The serial numbers are different on the DAN site and the CPSC site. Interesting.

What happened later?? did got fixed?? I dont know if you read this since is 2015, but im curious i got one BCD , maybe of this ones falulty.

Back
Top Bottom