Sheridan Dive-9/18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well- let me start off by saying that we made it back in one piece...The sea's were angry, like an old man sending back soup! We had a solid 6-8' without any relief in sight. I think we were the only boaters out there too. The CG were flying around inshore which gave me some relief knowing that at least they were out there. Once we got to the site, I dropped the anchor, and surprisingly enough, it landed on the bow. We dropped down to find 25-30' vis, with 88degree waters at 80'. Tons of baitfish, jellies, and of course, our toothy friends - the baracuda. We saw alot of juvenile grouper and snapper of all types, and a small octopus. Not sure where the GG's went, but there were none. I would like to dive this in the spring or late fall, because I felt like i missed out due to limited vis. All in all, it was better than being at work.

good lord man! 6 to 8 foot seas and you still went out. What kind of boat do you have? I start to think "alternate spring dive time" when I see "seas 2 feet" on a NOAA report.

The sea's on the way out were ok- but they progressively got worse while we were approaching the wreck. So after 45 min's of being under, when we surfaced things were getting pretty ugly. I decided to head in and thats when we hit the 6-8's. I know better not to go out in 6-8, but I do know when to call it the day.

Oh man, thats even worse, It's one thing to have to call a trip on account of rough seas, but to be out there and then come to realize you have to go back through that gives you one hell of a sinking feeling (no pun intended).

Little glad I didn't get to go out with you guys, I know that you guys were banged up coming in. Figured the vis would be around that, but it sounds like you had a nice dive. Back in NJ now....:( But hey got a cruise coming up in 9 days so I got St Thomas, Dominca and Aruba to dive!! :)

jokerswild:
The sea's on the way out were ok- but they progressively got worse while we were approaching the wreck. So after 45 min's of being under, when we surfaced things were getting pretty ugly. I decided to head in and thats when we hit the 6-8's. I know better not to go out in 6-8, but I do know when to call it the day.
That stinks, I'm glad I was not out there with guys, like I said befor, glad you'll made it in in one pice.

Yeah I want a report as well. I am going out to St. Pete Reef this weekend with my boat and I want to know what the water is like.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom