Sheraton Black Rock Dive Shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maggersmagoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be staying at the Sheraton at Black Rock in early September. I'm debating between different dive options, one of which is just to sign up for a guided dive with the onsite dive shop at the Sheraton. This would be for convenience sake, since my partner unfortunately does not dive.

I'm recently certified, and I've never dove with a resort shop before. I feel a little hesitant about it. I was wondering if anyone has experience doing a guided dive with this shop. Do I need to have any concern with safety because of either too many divers on a trip, or inattentive divemaster? I realize I am responsible for my own safety on a dive, but for me that starts with finding a shop I am comfortable with.

Other possibilities if I can work them into my schedule:

-Shore dive with Shaka Doug
-Molokini dive with Lahaina Divers
-Boat dive with Extended Horizons

I tend to get seasick, so I may stick with shore dives this time. Also, I think I'm doing a snorkel trip to Molokini, if I do that I won't go back to SCUBA.

Appreciate any input.

Hi there,

I'll be in Maui Aug 29th-Sept 12th and my wife also doesn't dive. I'm planning to do a few days of shore diving during our stay. Also fairly new. Certified 2 years ago and about 90 dives. I've previously done some shore dives in South Maui but am game for any sites from Makena to Honolua Bay. We are staying in Wailea in South Maui about a 45 min from the Sheraton. I will probably do 1 or 2 boat dives with Mike Severns, Ed Robinsons, or Pro diver. If you want to do some shore dives it's usually calm in the mornings and the diving is very relaxing. Let me know if you want dive during those dates.

Hi There,

I have dove at Black Rock for a number of years and have never seen a big group of divers going out on the guided dive. Usually 2 or 3 but I am there in Jan or Feb.

It sure is convenient to get tanks etc from right there on the beach. I think you will be fine.

With respect to boat diving, I typically go out with Lahaina Divers. My wife is prone to sea sickness and we like their bigger boats. You might be better off doing one of their afternoon dives, or going out to Lanai. It is a long ride to Molokini from Lahaina.

Any way enjoy your trip.

If you're diving Black rock, there really isnt much need for a guide- you can't miss the rock and that's the dive site so it's a pretty easy and straighforward dive. Lots to see. I would suggest a night dive there as well. Again, I don't know that you need a dive, so much as a good buddy to dive with.

Depending on the cost of tanks at the Sheraton, you can (at least you used to be able to) get tanks from Maui Dive Shop at Whalers Village - may or may not be cheaper. Also Pacific Dive in Lahaina but that's a little farther away. If you don't mind driving to Lahaina, then I would highly recommend Pacific Dive on Dickenson Street.

If you're going to Molokini (highly recommended if you haven't done that before), I would strongly recommend going out of Kihei. It's a much shorter boat ride to/from Molokini from there.

re: seasickness - Try Bonine or the less drowsy formula of Dramamine (not the original formula). Look for the active ingredient meclizine hydrochloride. Take one the night before then one again the morning of the dive about 2 hours before the trip. We get people who are quite ill on other drugs or dosage schedules do just fine taking meclizine hydrochloride on this schedule.

The Sheraton dive operation is about the same price as everyone for shore dives in the area. To just rent tanks, it's quite a bit more to use the kiosk at the Sheraton than Maui Dive Shop, but you have far less distance to shelp the tank, which might be worth it. Black Rock is super easy to navigate and dive without a guide, though it sounds like you won't have a buddy, which makes group diving make much more sense.

If you're prone to sea sickness, Lahaina Divers' big 46' Newtons are the way to go. Consider doing a morning charter to Lanai, but you'll want some sea sick meds one way or another if you get on a boat. I'm very prone to motion sickness (even need something on planes) and find Bonine to be excellent with fewer side effects than other meds I've used.

Ugh, meclizine. I took that last year one day at work because I wanted to see how it would affect me. I felt, I don't even know how to describe it, kinda spacy and weird and yucky. Maybe I need to give it another try. If I am moving around and doing something, instead of sitting at a desk, it might not be so bad.

I would prefer to do Molokini out of Kihei, I just didn't want to have to leave the hotel at 5am to be there by 6am. I'd never be able to drag myself up that early.

Yes, the point of the guided dive at the sheraton is just to have a built in buddy, and be able to schedule it on short notice. It sounds like a simple enough dive that I shouldn't have any problems using that shop.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

If you want to snorkel or scuba Honolua Bay, avoid the boats to save on the $150 charge just to bring you there. Drive on the coast line highway heading into the upcountry. After you pass Kapalua resorts, DT Fleming Beach you will start to see the signs for Honolua Bay. Map out the area so you understand where to park your car, to find the shorter walk to the shoreline thru a dirt road that leads to somebody's house that is next to the kiosk of reef info at the beginning edge of the stone beach. No sand beach, bring a friend to watch your stuff, leave nothing in the car! Enjoy the swim out, pick your area to look by reviewing the kiosk reef map. Ignore the signs that says no beach access! No one should be asking you for any money -it's free open access to the ocean statewide! Have fun but be safe first!
This spot is the best snorkeling site off the beaten path!

Not a bad idea if you have no dive buddy to explore Black Rock with. Hiring a guide is a good idea, especially for the night dive. I did it once and would do it again with Lahaina Divers. We met in the parking lot, they bought all the gear, short walk to the beach starting south going north.

If you are going to do it yourself, see it during the daylight hours before you do the night dive. Becoming familar with entry/exit is a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom