Shelter in Place Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dumb phones won't solve the problem really. Any phone has to connect with a tower. Phones almost always connect to multiple towers simultaneously. Triangulation is the trivial matter of correlating signal levels from the log produced by a couple of those towers. That's assuming you're worried about your carrier (or any other, since your phone will talk to other towers) or a government body accessing your location. Acquiring location data directly from a smartphone log makes less legwork and probably fewer court orders.. hence why law enforcement is always interested in that stuff. Personally I don't worry about any of that. I do worry about businesses (google, apple, Samsung, etc etc) having the data because typically businesses like that suck at security. Find one that doesn't have a press release about customer data being exposed in the past few years.
My reply was in a certain context in a discussion consisting of a sequence of posts.

the idea of a dumb phone defeating triangulation was not what I was referring too ...if it doesn't have a battery (power source ) it cant be tracked till you put the battery in and turn it on , if I have to tell you that ..........its too late

here in Canada you cant buy burner phones ,

I'm sure you can, you just have to go through the extra hoop of obtaining a stolen credit card number.

lol or get some one who doesn't care in in their name .....

Actually it may possible to buy a prepaid SIM in store and a prepaid top-up card too, for cash. You'd just have to know what/where/how. E.g. I used to have a Cingular SIM where $100 was good for 12 months, and you could buy refill cards at Walgreens. I bought that SIM online from Walmart or some such as I recall, it was probably obtainable in-store too.

Obviously, the handset itself has an IMEI number so you need to pay for it in a way that can't be traced to you as well. Fleebay gift cards can be bought over the counter, too, so that just leaves the delivery address to work out.

This is South of your border, so you may have to go for a drive ...

Ya forgot to dump the air from yer BCD ... had ya done that you might have been able to hit the bottom.

:) I noticed that after seeing the video but I don't think it would have mattered. I was sprawled out on the seats that go around the hot tub. That said, I am more than willing to try again....

well needing a burner is not a top priority , it just might have been nice to have in the future ......again BETTER TO HAVE AND NOT NEED THAN NEED AND NOT HAVE

In my extra time I now have I've been looking back though old photos. Messing with the cat use to be a favorite pastime. May have to revisit that activity. :)

C9Ybpc.jpg

LlqHlp.jpg

Kind of cool virtual dive...

Virtual Dive - Mohawk

Wazee Lake in Wisconsin is still open. It's a county, not a state, park. Campgrounds are closed, but park is still open for day use. I'm probably up there next month for tech class dives.

IP Blocked

Edit: I don't know why the link shows IP blocked. It's valid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom