Shelter in Place Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dubious

Contributor
Reaction score
I think most of the world is under a shelter in place order. Some are able to get to open water, but others do not have that luxury. What kind of diving are you doing at home? Videos and/and Pictures?

I bought this used DUI drysuit from scubaboard and have been waiting to try it out. With 4 kids at home, my wife-buddy and I can't get to the open water since we have no one to watch our kids. I could no longer wait, so I went down to the basement to kit up and did my shallowest dive yet. I might just have to purchase that intex pool that has been sitting in my amazon cart if this goes on much longer.

I’m itching to go, but haven’t had a chance yet. Maybe next weekend will make it to the ocean. Last dive was back in January in RI, and a DUI suit similar to yours came in handy!

Your video reminded me of a desperate dive I did last September in Connecticut River. While I found some pockets that were maybe 6-8 feet deep, I felt strange standing up in the middle of the river, waist deep... The things we do to get wet close to home!

Shore dives. I had to talk with a couple LEOs who stopped to question us yesterday, but they ultimately gave up and left us to our diving activity.

Shallow solo shore dives (wet) all winter. Nothing has changed for me (yet). And the LDS is open. Have to look at social distancing at the more popular (still not much weedays) summer sites I'll drive to. Being retired is a blessing in these times. No weekend dives. Just dived today.

LDS just re-opened for air fills 3 days a week. They were waffling as to whether they were "essential" because they service police and fire so shut down for a couple weeks. No classes, but they will sell stuff, rent gear, and fill tanks. I suspect they'll do maintenance, but it might be slow because most of their staff were furloughed. They are also encouraging people to dive, which is within the parameters of our local rules on this: Outside recreation is encouraged, as long as 6' is maintained. The local parks staff have 6' sticks they're wandering around with.

Some of our local beaches are closed, some are open. Some are temporarily closed on a beautiful weekend because Her Honor determined we couldn't be trusted to socially distance ourselves, but are generally open otherwise. (Her Honor is right: People are idiots. A grocery store designated aisles one way only, put up do not enter signs on one end, and had constant announcements on the speakers reminding people, yet people still wouldn't follow the rules. Debate the rules if you like, but it's a private store and they can make 'em.....)

Yes, people are idiots. We all have stories in these times. China & now Russia have some sort of tracking way of knowing who's out & about when they shouldn't be. Maybe that's one thing the commies (and former commies) are doing better than us. There is no way a private store should be making rules that may differ from what is best. But it seems that store is doing it's best to keep people in line (literally too) and safe. We have those arrows too, and some disobey (I've heard), but no "do not enter" signs or announcements.
I go out to get groceries and solo dive. Let the idiots do their thing.

I hold my breath while I wash my hands, face, and glasses when I get back from the hospital everyday. I consider this a variant of static apnea.

this is what I will see in a few weeks ........hopefully; house on the right and cottage on the left
new house drone pic.jpg

I live right on the waterfront in Morristown, NY,,,been busy with numerous projects and delays due to weather. First chance I'll do some "under time". Temps are coming up slowly, but that's not an issue. Tanks are filled and gear is ready!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom