Shell Suit Squeeze

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Tom McCarthy

SF2/rEvo/Tempest Dive Boat
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just picked up a used tri-laminate shell suit the other day. I've always used a neoprene dry suit. But I finally got sick of the lack of movement in it. So in an attempt to improve comfort I went for the shell suit. Last night I tryed it out in a pool. In only 8 feet of water the squeeze was unbearable. I couldn't for the life of me get rid of it. When I added air it would only take the pressure off my chest. I tryed moving the air around by changing positions but it would just squeeze like heck wherever the air wasn't. Mostly my arms my legs and the crotch areas. Any suggestions?

Tmccar1:
In only 8 feet of water the squeeze was unbearable. I couldn't for the life of me get rid of it. When I added air it would only take the pressure off my chest. I tryed moving the air around by changing positions but it would just squeeze like heck wherever the air wasn't. Mostly my arms my legs and the crotch areas. Any suggestions?
Sounds strange..
How thick undersuit you use? With shell suit it should be a lot thicker compared to Neoprene one,

i dive shell suit with just shorts on, iv dove to 135 feet with it and what i do is just add air and every now and then go upside down to get some air in your feet hah, helps a bit.

Tmccar1:
I just picked up a used tri-laminate shell suit the other day. I've always used a neoprene dry suit. But I finally got sick of the lack of movement in it. So in an attempt to improve comfort I went for the shell suit. Last night I tryed it out in a pool. In only 8 feet of water the squeeze was unbearable. I couldn't for the life of me get rid of it. When I added air it would only take the pressure off my chest. I tryed moving the air around by changing positions but it would just squeeze like heck wherever the air wasn't. Mostly my arms my legs and the crotch areas. Any suggestions?

I'm guessing you weren't using your regular undergarments when you were in the pool. If you use undergarments warm enough for the water in your area you should have no problem.

ahhh, ya know, right after I posted I started thinking about the fact that I was only wearing board shorts and a t-shirt. I think you guys are right, the squeeze might have been to to a lack of insulation padding me a bit. That interior was kind of rubbery and the light pressure of the suit on my skin was probably turning into an indian burn and I couldn't distinguish one pain from another. The pool was 90 degrees so I didn't wear anything thick under it. I'll try it again in a real shallow dive off my dock with full undergarments on. Thanks for the advice all.

Don't be afraid to put gas in the suit! On the surface - with valve closed/face in water - add gas to suit - move around a bit. Vent gas to to descend and of course add gas as needed. This should get you comfortable and stretch out the suit.

scubazach:
Don't be afraid to put gas in the suit! On the surface - with valve closed/face in water - add gas to suit - move around a bit. Vent gas to to descend and of course add gas as needed. This should get you comfortable and stretch out the suit.

I did that. I filled the suit to max capacity with the valve closed all the way. I looked like the Michelin man on a snorkling trip. This was the only comfortable way to have the suit. Unfortunately I would probably need over 50 pounds of lead to get down. :wink: Definately not a good way to dive. Any leaks or loss of filling ability and it would be a one way ticket. lol.

If you are transistioning from a neoprene suit, you will discover that the squeeze is much sharper and biting in a shell suit and that you cannot comfortably dive with as little air in the suit as you can in a neoprene suit.

DA Aquamaster:
If you are transistioning from a neoprene suit, you will discover that the squeeze is much sharper and biting in a shell suit and that you cannot comfortably dive with as little air in the suit as you can in a neoprene suit.

So basically use more air and add more weight than with my neoprene suit?

Yes...but if you get too much air in the suit, it gets unstable. Basically, youi want to add just enough air to keep the squeeze to comfortable levels.

Personally, I have a pair of tri-lams and a pair of neoprene dry suits and the only time I dive either of the tri-lam suits is when I absolutely need to use dry gloves (both my neoprene suits have neoprene seals.) And that happens very rarely as overall I have found that neoprene suits are warmer and my hands stay warmer in wet suit gloves in a neoprene suit (sweat pants and shirt over polyproplene underwear for undergarments) than they do in a tri-lam (400g thinsulate undergarments) with dry gloves.

I really prefer the way a neoprene suit swims compared to a trilam. It's much more streamlined, and since you can comfortably use it with very little air in it, you can acheive unusual attitudes like standing on your head with no fear of having all the gas rush to your feet.

Fit is important in either suit, as too small a suit means restricted mobility. But...a neoprene suit is a bit more forgiving as it will stretch where a tri-am will not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom