Shell collectors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How does one reply to this? I will reply in bold print

In December 1951 two Californians

You can delete any part of a quoted message you want in order to make it clearer what portion you are responding to. Just make sure you keep the code at the beginning and end of the quote. Note that I added the three dots to indicate that a part of your original quote was deleted. For example, your quote above looks like this with the BB (Bulletin Board) code:

Code:
[QUOTE="sam miller, post: 8005790, member: 8985"]How does one reply to  this?  I will reply in bold print

[B][I]
In December 1951 two Californians[/I][/B]...[/QUOTE]

The trick is to make sure that you keep this part to mark the beginning:

Code:
[QUOTE="sam miller, post: 8005790, member: 8985"]

And and this part to mark the end:

Code:
[/QUOTE]

Accidentally forgetting an opening or closing part, especially one of the square brackets like "[" or "]" will really confuse the Scubaboard BB editor. Changing the original quote beyond indicating what part you delete would be considered bad form. It is common to see parts in the middle of a quote deleted and indicated by inserting: <snip> as-in snipped out.

It is OK to emphasize a word or phrase with a color, bold, or underline in a quote as long as you indicate that you added it for clarity. For example:

How does one reply to this? I will reply in bold print

In December 1951 two Californians

Red added for clarity.

Is this helpful? It took me a while to figure it out.

Sam, Thanks. Your shell knowledge is seriously more extensive than mine. The only thing I can comment on is about the dive magazines not ever having anything on shell collecting. But I've only been diving since 2005, so it's only the last 12 years that I refer to.

Akimbo gave one way to do reply to several parts of a quote in separate sections, but with our new system there is another way that may save some time.

1. Highlight the first quote to which you want to respond. You should get a choice of quote or reply. Choose Quote.
2. Repeat with every section to which you want to reply. You can do it with multiple posts.
3. When you are ready to reply, you will have a button that says "Insert Quotes." Select it and identify the quotes you want. You will find them all in order, with the person to whom you are responding identified.

In terms of enhancing the beauty, for my tun shell, I soaked it in diluted bleach for a few minutes to remove what periostracum remained, then just rubbed mineral oil on it once it was clean to give it a nice shine. Beach finds are usually more beat up, and I don't usually do anything to them. My sand dollars got soaked in hydrogen peroxide to whiten them and then coated with diluted white glue to strengthen them.
Most of the shells I have found, maybe because they have been unoccupied for awhile, are pretty well encrusted so I do bleach soak and then scrub them. And because I want to bring out some of the natural color and texture enhancement that it would have in the ocean but didn't want the varnished look I tried tong oil and have been quite pleased with the results so far.

1. Highlight the first quote to which you want to respond. You should get a choice of quote or reply. Choose Quote.
2. Repeat with every section to which you want to reply. You can do it with multiple posts.
3. When you are ready to reply, you will have a button that says "Insert Quotes." Select it and identify the quotes you want. You will find them all in order, with the person to whom you are responding identified.

Here's an example with pictures: New to ScubaBoard and xenForo? Here's NetDoc's user guide..., Post #8

Info on linking in and outside Scubaboard: Links in Scubaboard Posts

Most of the shells I have found, maybe because they have been unoccupied for awhile, are pretty well encrusted so I do bleach soak and then scrub them. And because I want to bring out some of the natural color and texture enhancement that it would have in the ocean but didn't want the varnished look I tried tong oil and have been quite pleased with the results so far.

Baby oil works great.

Baby oil works great.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It certainly does ..I agree 100%
But the oil can migrate to the surface of the table and stain it and of course oil is a magnet for dust.

I have washed and through dried many of my oiled display shells and coated them with Hair Spray. There are probably as many hair sprays on the markwet as there are sea shells. I have done some experimenting and found that he cheep 99 cent store variant works best, seems to have more shine to it.

When the shell becomes dull and needs recoating wash and dry the shell and spray away

Certainly less dusting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Watched a show on tropical house hunting that featured modern Sam Carlos. It is no longer a dusty little camp ground. The people paid 1.2 Million for a water front home.
Over 65 years ago I was camped on the same beach for free and had the same view, along with copious amounts of Hee Heees, coyotes and assorted creepy crawlers with no AC.
But lots of big fish, Mexican scallops and conches.

SAM MILLER

I don't know why, but I have never had the remotest interest in shell collecting.

A number of years ago my wife and I were on a beach in Grand Cayman, and a man showed up with some beautiful large conch shells his son had just collected, cleaned, and polished (whatever). He was planning to sell them. When I told him what the fine was for taking those shells, he quickly took them back to his car.

Along those lines, I am curious to hear from those who collect where you may have found countries (Caribbean, Mexico), areas and dive ops where collecting is both legal and allowed. Years ago I searched extensively and found 3 spots in the Carib. and 2-3 in Mexico (though I believe you need some sort of permit in Mexico).

Back
Top Bottom