Shell collectors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam Miller III

Scuba Legend
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
CALIFORNIA: Where recreational diving began!
# of dives
5000 - ∞
TMHeimer is the self acknowledged shell collector of the SCUBA Board.

I suspect there are others who have unconsciously or consciously collected sea shells;

1) By purchased them from local individuals while on a diving vacation trip- the shells were purchased and not harvested by divers therefore by purchasing a sea shell from a native aids the local economy .

2) By walking along the beach and discovered a lovely dead shell wash in the surf line that beckoned to be picked up and transported to some foreign land for others to see.

3) By diving and accidentally discovering a sea shell that jumped inside the exposure suit consequently had to be collected as a souvenir of the trip

4) By visiting the local home town shell shop and purchasing shells

And it is suspected there are other methods of acquiring sea shells too numerous to list

What about other members besides TMHeimer of the SCUBA board have you been a participant in the unconsciously or consciously collection sea shells ?

If so what happens to them after returning to you land locked shown bound home?
Are they displayed for all to see ? How ? Where?

An inquiring mind wants to know

SDM

It is an extremely rare event when I take a shell. I focus on taking images instead. Although I understand the concept of supporting the local economy by buying shells from locals, I think it also promotes the further collection of them by the seller.

I got very irritated here at home when one of our rabid animal rights devotees sold baskets and baskets of shells as well as dried starfish, etc., at her store.

If a find a shell, and nobody is home, and I think it is really cool I might take it home. Have done this on a few occassions. Have left a number of pretty shells with critters home where I found them. If I dove an area where they were abundant and not many other divers I would view that as a plus IF I was a shell collector which I am not.

In my younger days I was an avid shell collector. Once I got certified, I moved from collecting dead shells on the beach to live shells while diving. Through my training in college as a biologist, I began to record the collecting location for each shell so that the collection would have some scientific/museum value. I built cabinets to house the shells and organized them by family. I got a couple of glass cabinets to display the more showy specimens.

As I got older, collecting live snails began to bother me for several reasons, so I quit. First, I learned that many of the snails I collected live were very old animals. For example, even the little diminutive mud snails we have in our local bays here can be over 50 years old! Second, although my collection does have some scientific/museum value, it wasn't really being used that way.

So today, I do have a part of the collection on display in the lobby of the science building here at my university. So at least other people can enjoy it. At some point, I will probably also consider donating it to a museum.

I still really enjoy collecting shells for "pretty window sill" displays, but I ensure that anything I collect is dead and that includes the shell not having a hermit crab resident.

Before she got her first underwater camera Merry collected and identified shells she found on the shore or empty underwater. She has books and a closet full of shells. One day we were diving on a local shipwreck where the sand was littered with Spiny Pricklycockle, Dallocardia quadragenaria shells. As we were about to begin our ascent I saw a shell in her hand. I looked down and saw one that was much larger. I handed it to her and she tossed her find back.

After we got home we told our friend Paul Kanner, a collector of shells worldwide about our find. He suggested we contact the Registry of World Record Size Shells. They asked for at least four photos with a micrometer measuring every part of the shell. The previous record was 150mm long. Mine was over 162mm. I presently still hold the record for largest Spiny Pricklycockle, Dallocardia quadragenaria. It's the only shell I've ever collected. Beginner's Luck.

DSCF12091741_zpsemizbeks.jpg

_DSC0483_zps0204t3lc.jpg

_DSC0481_zpsrj7f5qta.jpg

Before she got her first underwater camera Merry collected and identified shells she found on the shore or empty underwater. She has books and a closet full of shells. One day we were diving on a local shipwreck where the sand was littered with Spiny Pricklycockle, Dallocardia quadragenaria shells. As we were about to begin our ascent I saw a shell in her hand. I looked down and saw one that was much larger. I handed it to her and she tossed her find back.

After we got home we told our friend Paul Kanner, a collector of shells worldwide about our find. He suggested we contact the Registry of World Record Size Shells. They asked for at least four photos with a micrometer measuring every part of the shell. The previous record was 150mm long. Mine was over 162mm. I presently still hold the record for largest Spiny Pricklycockle, Dallocardia quadragenaria. It's the only shell I've ever collected. Beginner's Luck.

View attachment 411360

View attachment 411361

View attachment 411362

Very good story...but as machinist by trade (even though I no longer work as a machinist) you are using calipers to measure the shell, not micrometers. I hate correcting people but I always feel the need to when it comes to tools.

BTW, this is a micrometer, an outside mic to be precise. The also make inside mics to measure an ID rather than the OD and they also make depth mics for measuring bores,etc.

mitutoyo-disk-micrometer-metric.jpg

Very good story...but as machinist by trade (even though I no longer work as a machinist) you are using calipers to measure the shell, not micrometers. I hate correcting people but I always feel the need to when it comes to tools.

BTW, this is a micrometer, an outside mic to be precise. The also make inside mics to measure an ID rather than the OD and they also make depth mics for measuring bores,etc.

View attachment 411365
Sorry. I was a machinist for 40 years and know my tools but used micrometer as a generic term.

Sorry. I was a machinist for 40 years and know my tools but used micrometer as a generic term.

Wow, I had no clue you were a machinist. My people! LOL

There is always a larger pricklycock out there somewhere.
Yet another new keyboard on order....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom