Shell collectors ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Laurie S.
I've been collecting, and buying, shells since I was a child. When I'm at my home in San Carlos, Mexico, as I am now, I'll be collecting to do double duty--ceviche and shells."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
At last ---A honest diver with a honest reply ..

A lot of old diving memories were elicited from your post.

FYI a little history;
In 1955 Ernesto Zaraota who was a wealthy local who enjoyed the sport of spearfishing organized the first ( and only} Inter American Spearfishing competition between Mexican and American (aka Californian divers) to be held the then unknown never dove at Bahia de San Carlos It was not much of a contest as the Americans sweep the field.

The winning American team was composed of (as I recall) The Long Beach Douglas Air Craft team of Howard Patton and John Gaffney. Sadly Howard passed away several years later from a commercial diving accident. John went on to establish the very active dive training organization NASDS- National Association of Skin-diving Schools- (now SSI) which since John's demise about 15 years ago no longer exists.

In 1955 I was a young USAF officer stationed at Luke AFB in Glendale Arizona. One of my fellow officers was the late Kit Horn who had swam for UCLA , but most importantly had worked part time for Rene Bussoz at Rene Sporting goods, which was changed to US Divers and in 1954 sold to JYC & company which is now known as Aqua lung.

We teamed up as work out partners -swimming and lifting to the point we were poster boys to what a USAF officer should look like - big shoulders & chest and a pencil thin waist (those were the days!)

We read in "Skin Diver Magazine ; a magazine for "spear fishermen" and skin divers" about the spear fishing meet at San Carlos won by The Long Beach Douglas Air Craft team.

We decided to build some spear guns based on the design developed in 1938 by the late Bill Barada (LA Co UW Instructor) and go for a look see at this place called San Carlos

The base salvage yard was a treasure trove of Co2 bottles, tubes and just plain junk every thing needed to construct a Barada CO2 gas gun and we did- five of them.

The "Spear gun five" Kit & I and three enlisted air men took off for San Carlos, Mexico. Several miles below the border we stopped at a Mexican Immigration shack signed our name in a spiral bound note book and gave the official one gringo dollar and were on our way to adventure.

We almost missed the sign for Bahia ..it was and for several years a very small faded board nailed to a post. We turned on to a rutted dusty seldom used and certainly never repaired road. Finally we reached the end where we were met by. two Mexican families who where as happy to see us as we them.

Our purpose was to spear so into the water we went -only to discovered the guns worked flawlessly but the points were not holding -- never the less we did manage to land enough fish to share in a communal feast ,

We also gathered an abundant amount of the huge heavy rock scallops as well as a bag of the conchs which littered the floor of the bay and were early inductees into the world of Mexican ceviche.

As a group we never returned - transfers, separations and discharges. So many good and great memories of the "Spear gun five"

I returned annually until 1963 -possibly 1964, when civilization when trailers begin dotting the land and the Yacht club was established at the point.

That last year I was shooting a rubber powered California long gun called the "Bottom Scratcher" and speared a 38 or was it 48 ? pound Pargo- aka red snapper which I shared with other campers. a few days later I ventured in to the Yacht club to learn they had a Pargo contest in progress and the largest was a 15 pounder..

The passing parade of diving history....FYI it did Not begin with PADI

SDM

Laurie
From my files a bit about the Bottom Scratcher Spear gun -- Double horror Collecting Sea shells and a SPEAR GUN !

Oh the horror of it all...

I didn't build it ...but it was a DIY garage built gun..

My all time favorite spear gun is a "Bottom Scratcher." It was designed/developed in 1939 by Wally Potts and perfected by the Bottom Scratcher spear fishing club of San Diego, California. It is the original California long gun, constructed of by the joining of a simple tube SS handle containing a one piece trigger to a 1&1/4 inch dowel barrel, and a long balance bar that was either made of wood or SS.

In the very early days if spear fishing around 1950 Wally sold a Bottom Scratcher gun to Paul Hoss a member of the Dolphins spear fishing club which had won the very first spear fishing meet in Laguna Beach in the Summer of 1950. When he sold it to Paul who lived in a suburb of LA, Jack Prodanovich is reported to have said to Wally that "Selling a gun up north was like selling guns to the Yankees." And he was correct. Paul disassembled the gun did some modifications that improved the trigger pull and began producing a very close copy affectionately became known as the "Hoss gun" by the "Yankees" of Los Angeles and Orange County.

The Hoss copy was cosmetically and functionally identical in every respect except for the Sturgil muzzle which was the muzzle of choice for all guns used by serious Yankee spear fishermen. The guns which were made by Wally and Paul were all custom made therefore no two were exactly identical. It was reported substantially less than 100 were made in a 30 plus year period by Wally and some where between 20 and 30 by Paul in about a 10 year period. Needless to say they were difficult to obtain and are now scarce and highly prized by those who own them, or collectors of diving memorabilia.

Known through out the spear fishing fraternity as the "California long gun" and on occasion the "Long Tom," they were made for long shots at big fish in then the clear unpolluted waters of SoCal.
I was fortunate to have ended up with two. My own personal custom gun and a friend's who after being chased out of the water by a shark decided that spear fishing was not for him, so he sold it to me a half what a bare unrigged new one costs -$20.00.

My guns measure 7 foot 9 inches plus the point which can have many configurations and lengths adding as much as a foot if the Prodanovich point impact aka power head was used. It has a sling pull of 4 foot 8 inches and the 5/16 diameter SS arrow rides on the first rails to be installed on a spear gun. It has a balance bar that extends approximately 15 inches behind the trigger mechanism.

It was made during the era of the kettle cured rubber. I can't recall when surgical rubber for spear gun slings became popular but I think in the mid 1950s. I used 28 or less inches of surgical tubing for power when it became popular and readily available. I do vividly recall the first time I test fired it at Ships Rock off Catalina using the then new surgical slings...the Arbalete type slide ring exploded totally disintegrated ! The arrow went flying in to the blue water never to be seen again by man--or at least me...so slide rings from aerospace material was custom made. A number of years later Joe La Monica who developed the Voit/ Mares/JBL gun began producing a very strong SS slide ring which I modified and converted my guns to use.

My first and my favorite gun has a custom (aka home made) "San Diego" style "dump pack" constructed from a piece of SS sheet, a SS Piano hinge, several lengths of WW 11 webbing and a SS rod as the release pin. The dump pack contained 200 feet of yellow 1/8 Polypropylene line fan folded into small bunches secured by two pieces of a bicycle inner tube (they won't rot) terminating with a small WW11 water purification bag modified into an automatic Co2 inflation float. It has a 15 inch SS balance bar

Gun number two is equipped with a huge six inch "Riffes Reel," produced and marketed about 40 years ago by a now defunct San Diego company by the name of Aquacraft. The reel holds about a jillione miles of hard lay tuna trolling nylon line. I can not recall how much it holds and I have never been reeled there fore cannot accurately state with any reasonable amount of certainty the amount of line on the Riffe's reel but it is a lot! It originally came equipped with a 15 inch balance bar, which the former owner trimmed to eight inches. I found this too short and extended it to it's original length of 15 inches by the addition of a piece of 1 &1/4 wood dowel.

Do I still use the guns? Heck no, especially when one Bottom Scratcher/Hoss gun sold on E bay several years ago for $2500.00 plus dollars.

I have several custom wood guns I made about 30 or more years ago that I currently use, but another story for another time.

But-- I still have wonderful memories of the Bottom Scratcher and years gone by.
SDM,111

Last edited:
Interesting that @TMHeimer the SCUBA board resident sea shell collector who is so verbose on collecting sea shells, alive, or dead has not posted..

SDM

Last edited:
?
Interesting that @TMHeimer the SCUBA board resident sea shell collector who is so verbose on collecting sea shells, alive, or dead has not posted..

SDM
Here I am. I did not reply because your OP didn't ask me to... to quote you "I expect there are others....An inquiring mind wants to know". "So verbose" may not quite make deletion by the Mods, but I SUSPECT you expected my response. Did you look up Chepar's post of 2002 entitled "Shell Collecting?" and my first reply in 2008? I KNEW eventually I'd just HAVE to respond, but was holding my tongue and enjoying the various views.
I doubt most SBers will do (try) a search, since my experience has been that divers generally don't give a hoot about shells (granted, my limited 12 years experience reading dive mags and 10 years of SB). They'd rather talk about fish, sharks, octopi--despite that (IMHO) shells are probably one of the most beautiful creations of nature. Some posts here refer to octopi and measurement tools. BUT, I have sincerely enjoyed the posts of others on their experiences. That's what I THOUGHT the thread was about.
I have no idea what your reply to Laurie S. has to do with your OP question. Do you? Lotta nice history on yourself, though.
I was diving at Paddy's Head, Nova Scotia TODAY (where ironically I did my OW dive 1 on the OW course in 2005) and found a nice big New England Neptune (again, ironically, I found one going out on that OW course on OW dive #2 in 2005). As in 2005, I boiled the Hell out of that hermit crab and the shell sits in my collection with the other one. That what you want to hear?
Folks, I really don't want to get into the "taking of live shells" debate. You can do a search for the 2002/2008 Thread for that. I am a shell collector and do it "environmentally sound"--as per Conchologists of America suggests. I don't BUY shells from bushel baskets. I have always been curious as to why divers have no interest in shells, yet in places like Sanibel and Mexico Beach (FL panhandle) beachcomber/shell collectors are everywhere, like it's 1976.
Look forward to your upcoming posts (if there are many, or any).

Last edited:
I don't kill sea life to take their shells. I've got enough miscellaneous assorted stuff that I don't feel the need to collect shells for myself, but our 4-year old daughter likes them. So, I've bought a shell collection (small misc. assorted) at a shop on St. Thomas, collected various washed up shells on a beach around Jupiter, FL, picked up a couple of empty abalone shells off the Channel Islands of California (after asking onboard if I could where we were at the time), and I bought a conch shell in Nassau on a cruise ship stop.

Shells are one of the means of offering a connection to the sea for non-divers. Even if it does mean quietly enduring their telling me 'You can hear the ocean' in the shell, and putting off till they're older explaining that 'No, you really don't.'

Richard.

yes they are! and I'd be surprised if Mel allows you take them! I know for a fact that she curtailed your red grouper 'puppy dog' harvesting
She doesn't and I wouldn't take them, I buy bits in the poke store already smoked. I would kill one if that's the only way I could get one, but then I'd have to learn what to do with them.

I don't kill sea life to take their shells. I've got enough miscellaneous assorted stuff that I don't feel the need to collect shells for myself, but our 4-year old daughter likes them. So, I've bought a shell collection (small misc. assorted) at a shop on St. Thomas, collected various washed up shells on a beach around Jupiter, FL, picked up a couple of empty abalone shells off the Channel Islands of California (after asking onboard if I could where we were at the time), and I bought a conch shell in Nassau on a cruise ship stop.

Shells are one of the means of offering a connection to the sea for non-divers. Even if it does mean quietly enduring their telling me 'You can hear the ocean' in the shell, and putting off till they're older explaining that 'No, you really don't.'

Richard.

Thanks Richard. You know something was killed when you bought those shells in St. Thomas. I got a live Queen Conch on a snorkel boat there to St. John in 1999. Illegal (I had no idea honestly at the time), and the Captain said to "stow it under here if they ask"). It remains in my collection. Queen Conch are "endangered" (I say quote, because it's only in some areas, like the FL Keys, where everybody ATE THEM).

You know something was killed when you bought those shells in St. Thomas.

Yes. I figure the odds of doing significant damage to endangered populations is lower buying a bunch of really small shells, instead of big ones. Shells like that big conch shell, well, could be another story. And I'm not likely to get on the Internet to research an offering when I'm standing there mulling over a spontaneous purchase decision.

That said, it's kind of a 'guess and go' matter of conscience.

Richard.

Thanks Richard. You know something was killed when you bought those shells in St. Thomas. I got a live Queen Conch on a snorkel boat there to St. John in 1999. Illegal (I had no idea honestly at the time), and the Captain said to "stow it under here if they ask"). It remains in my collection. Queen Conch are "endangered" (I say quote, because it's only in some areas, like the FL Keys, where everybody ATE THEM).
Although I have no beef with your collecting, I'm glad not everyone does it. For the same reason as the conch story above. Now, I eat the crap out of conch, or at least their tasty meats, and I have a conch shell on the mantle that was a wedding gift from a divemaster in Belize, but the difference (in my mind) is that I would kill the inhabitant of a a shell to eat the contents, but not for it's house. But to each their own. I have not noticed a shortage of shells on the beach or in the water, except maybe for the triton's trumpet, which I wouldn't take because they are the only predator for the crown of thorns, and I like reef more than I like pretty shells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom