Sheep Crabs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you look closely on the left side of his body down by his waist & you have to look hard you'll see a hose & the shinnie reg. connector.

Happy Diving
John

Has anyone ever eaten one of those mean, nasty-looking sheep crabs? Are they any good?

My buddy and I got about 4 one night while lobster hunding (couldn't find any lobsters).

They tasted great, but it's wayyyy to much work for how little meat there is. The shell is very thick and as hard as a rock. Lobster crushers or pliers won't work for these guys, we wound up using a small sledge hammer to get them open and even that was hard.

They are also really big and finding a huge pot big enough to boil them was a problem.

- MikeT

I took a few once to see about eating them. It was really not worth it- the legs shells were so thick and massive I had to get a small saw to cut through them (and I'm an experienced crab eater- I often don't use the claw crackers; I just use my hands). The shells were so thick that there wasn't even much meet in there, and what I found was sort of... blah.
I found it's not worth it.... but on the flip side, I have a friend who loves eating them. Then again, he loves eating everything.

I personally like crab the best when it is served TO me. Hunting seems like too much work--then there is the whole killing/cleaning aspect. :D

I was talking with SnakeDr and we were wondering about the taste. It is nice to swim over the mean and ugly beasties thinking...I could have you with butter if I wanted.

On the other hand, they probably sit there and think...I could reach up and pinch you if I wanted.

:D

shoupart:
It was really not worth it- the legs shells were so thick and massive I had to get a small saw to cut through them

heh.. I believe it.. Those guys seem like they have pretty tough shells...

CompuDude:
Have dremel, will dine.

;P

Now there's an idea...centrally located power source at the table with enough outlets for the number of diners. Each diner has his/her own dremel with cutting wheel.

Might be like eating crab at the dentist's office.

riguerin:
Never tried. Here's an excerpt from an old California Diving News article:

"Are sheep crabs good eating? Yes, but why try to take them? Only the big ones have enough meat to make it worthwhile and who at home has a crab steaming pot two feet in diameter? Then you have to bust through the thick shell to get at the meat."

Maycvr03.jpg
I SWEAR to you my husband has that same Zeagle BC but in BRIGHT neon green... The entire back inflate is this green... and he still uses it! He has a matching 2nd stage and a bright green rolling duffle to complete the ensemble (circa 1993). I think he sticks with it just to annoy me! Well, at least it's easy to see him in the murk.:sappy:

Back
Top Bottom