Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any reason why? That works pretty well on the Teric and Garmin watches
Agreed - the 4 button interface works really well and it's actually easier/faster to change individual settings as you don't have to move through all of the settings to change 1 thing like you do on the 2 button Perdix. Not a big deal - but definitely nothing wrong with the 4 button interface at all.

If it had GPS, I'd be all over it. I like that they have an AI model. I'm concerned with the size, it's slightly smaller than the Teric. I love the price point.

As for the 30 hours in dive mode, I don't really know how to compare that against your 50% battery loss in 7 hours of diving, but it sounds like it's draining a little faster than expected. Do you have any sense of how much time you have the computer in dive mode, while not actually diving? If it's about an hour per dive, then that plus the 7 hours actually diving would add up to 15 hours, or 50% of the expected time. But, that sounds like a high estimate, to me anyways

Keep in mind that that 30 hour spec is with specific parameters. I think it's something like Brightness on Medium and compass and AI off.

@scubadada probably was using different parameters. When I dive my Terics, they are on Brightness High (unless it's night time or I'm in a cave), AI is on, and the compass is usually on, too.

Keep in mind that that 30 hour spec is with specific parameters. I think it's something like Brightness on Medium and compass and AI off.

@scubadada probably was using different parameters. When I dive my Terics, they are on Brightness High (unless it's night time or I'm in a cave), AI is on, and the compass is usually on, too.
Yes, I dive on high brightness with both AI and compass on :) I love the floating north pointer, all I need for drift diving in SE FL

If it had GPS, I'd be all over it. I like that they have an AI model. I'm concerned with the size, it's slightly smaller than the Teric. I love the price point.
GPS and AI would be expensive. I personally dont see the value if you use it only for scuba diving. I mean its gotta be 1 tenth of 1 percent that navigate to a specific spot in the ocean for a dive.

We do it in Monterey CA to find the ballbuster 100 dive site but the boats always have GPS so........

I had a Teric. I got away from it as soon as I got it back from Dive-tronic with a new battery. If they made a 2 button Teric or the other new one with only two buttons, I'd likely buy one.

I love the simplicity of the two button config. It does everything possible, and there are only three possible combinations: 1, 2, or 1+2

with 4, the possibilities and complexity go WAY up. . You got the options of pressing 1, 2, 3, 4, 1+2, 1+3, 1+4, 1+2+3, 1+2+3+4, 2+3, 2+3+4, 2+4, 3+4 ... and after any of those, the same options present themselves. That's the far end of any possibility, but I like simple things.

With the Teric I always found myself puzzled as to what button to go to to get to what I wanted to do, and a couple of other sequences of presses later I was totally distracted from diving and was futzing with fracking buttons. With either of the Perdi or now the NERD, it always starts the same, you scroll through and select. I find that very easy and intuitive without having to ingrain the menu mapping.

I find it a lot more straightforward and I get to enjoy the dive more.

The NERD took some positional trials before I got it low enough to be in sight but not blocking the view.

Agreed - otherwise they might want to just name it the Shearwater "Terd" to keep the naming convention :wink:
Shartwater:dork2:

So AI (obviously), compass, and $125 differentiate the Tern TX from the Tern ($775 vs $650). The Tern is a smaller Peregrine commanding a $120 premium for the watch format. (Peregrine MSRP was originally $675, but I see them for $530 everywhere now.) The Teric looks decidedly chunky next to the Tern, but I've never felt like it was a "daily-wear" device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom