Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That said, I have been thinking about changing to bungee. But, with some kind of configuration where one pin failing won't cause the computer to fall off.
Sounds like this is what you might be searching for.

I should clarify that what I got was the Tern TX, but without an AI transmitter, mainly for the compass setting that the Tern doesn't have.

I Iooked at the compass u/w but haven't tried it out yet.

oops...delete

It beggars belief that Shearwater skimped on using a sapphire crystal for the Tern. At this price point it is simply inexcusable, as sapphire crystals are used on plenty of very cheap wristwatches.

I first noticed something was wrong when I saw the DeepBlue youtube review and there was a large scratch down the front of the Tern's screen. I'm guessing that was on the 'screen protector'. And now others in this thread are talking about similar scratches on their Terns. What does Shearwater expect owners to do - buy third party replacement screen protectors?

It beggars belief that Shearwater skimped on using a sapphire crystal for the Tern. At this price point it is simply inexcusable, as sapphire crystals are used on plenty of very cheap wristwatches.

I first noticed something was wrong when I saw the DeeerBlue youtube review and there was a large scratch down the front of the Tern's screen. I'm guessing that was on the 'screen protector'. And now others in this thread are talking about similar scratches on their Terns. What does Shearwater expect owners to do - buy third party replacement screen protectors?
I would assume the new owners want to increase revenue and also these are entry recreational level computers. Typically scratching doesn’t show up under water, do they not include the screen protector like with the teric?

Sounds like this is what you might be searching for.

Nope. That design has the single failure point earlier referenced. It relies on the strap pin. One sihts the bed and the computer falls off the wrist. Bye-bye.

The only solution is a single band that goes through both pins, like a NATO strap.

I first noticed something was wrong when I saw the DeepBlue youtube review and there was a large scratch down the front of the Tern's screen. I'm guessing that was on the 'screen protector'. And now others in this thread are talking about similar scratches on their Terns. What does Shearwater expect owners to do - buy third party replacement screen protectors?

If it comes with a screen protector and scratches are not going through the screen protector to damage the underlying screen, what difference does it make if it’s sapphire under there or not?

Nobody I know seems to have any issue at all with buying an aftermarket screen protector for their phone. And most of those don’t even come from the factory with one installed.

It beggars belief that someone would buy the least expensive watch-style computer that Shearwater offers, have it come with a screen protector from the factory, and then complain that the underlying screen isn’t sapphire.

How much of a premium does Garmin charge for their dive computer to get the version with a sapphire screen? Would you like a Tern Sapphire that costs that much additional?

Nobody I know seems to have any issue at all with buying an aftermarket screen protector for their phone. And most of those don’t even come from the factory with one installed.

It beggars belief that someone would buy the least expensive watch-style computer that Shearwater offers, have it come with a screen protector from the factory, and then complain that the underlying screen isn’t sapphire.

How much of a premium does Garmin charge for their dive computer to get the version with a sapphire screen? Would you like a Tern Sapphire that costs that much additional?
Maybe garmin charges a premium for battery life and gps.

Maybe garmin charges a premium for battery life and gps.

I was talking about things like, for example, the Garmin Fenix 7.

The Standard and Pro Solar models are glass. The Pro Solar is $600.

The Pro Sapphire Solar is the same thing but with a "Power Sapphire" lens and it is $700.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom