Shearwater Tern and Tern TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm looking at buying the Tern TX. My shop is trying to get me to buy Scubapro Luna 2.0 AI. Ya'll are right, there are no Tern reviews anywhere and barely any for Scubapro computers.

Here's the only review for the Tern at Amazon.

"Setup was quick once you got around some confusing/inaccurate wording. The product performed flawlessly once in use. Depth, dive time, remaining air, compass, and more was very easy to see. The safety stop info was easily visible with different colors and was clear when it was safe to surface. Access to the dive log was the easiest and most informative info that I've used. Going to buy one for my wife."

I'm looking at buying the Tern TX. My shop is trying to get me to buy Scubapro Luna 2.0 AI. Ya'll are right, there are no Tern reviews anywhere and barely any for Scubapro computers.
Not sure what kind of diving you do, but to me the Tern TX having a built-in compass would be a pretty big advantage of the Luna (which has no compass) -- I really like the compass on my Perdix 2. Especially nice if you're on a night dive and having to tow a flag float while aiming a light also, at least having the compass and computer in one well-lit place.

For the Tern TX read any of the Teric reviews and ignore anything about trimix or CCR. For the Tern, also ignore AI and compass. The interface and algorithm are the same.

Here's the only review for the Tern at Amazon.

"Setup was quick once you got around some confusing/inaccurate wording. The product performed flawlessly once in use. Depth, dive time, remaining air, compass, and more was very easy to see. The safety stop info was easily visible with different colors and was clear when it was safe to surface. Access to the dive log was the easiest and most informative info that I've used. Going to buy one for my wife."

Review here -

We're off to Malta in a couple of weeks and my daughter will be trying out her Tern TX then

I'd start with taking a look at the manuals. Shearwater manuals are known for being thorough and easy to read/understand. The same is not the case for most other DC manuals. I'm not certain about the SP Luna manual.

And, I'd agree on the Teric. The Tern and Tern TX are quite new, so not a ton of reviews yet. The Teric has been around for a while. The Teric and Terns share the same firmware, though some modes on the Teric are not available on the Tern models.

Back
Top Bottom