Shearwater Teric as a Daily Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

January was when they replaced your battery, not when they discovered a fix!
Wwhen was your Teric manufactured? That would be the more relevant date.

They assigned it a new serial number when they replaced the battery in january so that's, the new day zero I presume.

I have anniversary teric, so released at 1/2020 and it has now developed battery draining problem . Have send it back after diveseason.

Weird...mine too (also a 1/2020 purchase, but not an anniversary model). I have lost 10% in the last 3 days with it powered completely off. The funny thing is it was fine in the year and a half I have owned it but I never had a chance to get it in the water. I took it on a dive trip last month and ever since then the battery has developed the draining issue.

EDIT - contacted ShearWater and mailed it off for repair today. Will report back.

Battery was replaced in January. It was fine for a month, but its now worse than it was before.

They have had at least two rounds of issues with bad batteries from their supplier. It is unfortunate. I have 2 Terics and they have both had their batteries replaced 2 times (each). But, now they are solid. When sitting turned off, they seem to drain *roughly* 10% per month.

The good thing (to me, anyway) is that I have never missed a dive because of a battery issue. When I've had issues, the battery has been draining faster than it should when stored, but it still lasts PLENTY long enough to get through 3 or 4 days of diving. The issue has only meant (to me) that I needed to remember to put it on the charger a day (or a few days) before going diving - IF it has been sitting for a while. Now that my batteries are fixed, I expect I could charge them, let them sit for a month, do a week of diving on a liveaboard and not have to charge my Teric the whole time.

And, when I've sent mine in for battery replacement, I send it Priority Mail (2 days to get there), they turn it around in 1 to (at most) 2 days, and send it back the same way. So, 1 week total from sending it off to getting it back.

As for use as a daily wear, I tried that when I first got my first one (soon after they originally came out). I was getting right around 50 hours. That was as good or better than the Moto 360 smart watch I had previously. Now, the newest firmware (released today) has added some power management options. I suspect you could set the Teric up to get much more, if you wanted.

Personally, I tried it, just to see. But, I don't normally wear a watch at all. And when I do, I want something very thin and light. So, the Teric is not my choice for a daily wear watch - unless I was on a dive trip and felt the need to wear a watch for some reason. Then it would totally be fine.

Also, just for the record, when you put the Teric in Watch mode, all the dive stuff IS turned off. You don't need to turn off AI or anything like that. If it's in Watch mode, the AI IS off.

As of January they have not figured it out, because that's when my Teric battery was replaced.
You might be missing the point. The point is NOT when your battery was replaced, bur rather when was your Teric manufactured, i.e. what SN is it? What year is it?

You might be missing the point. The point is NOT when your battery was replaced, bur rather when was your Teric manufactured, i.e. what SN is it? What year is it?

The main circuit board was replaced in Jan. when the battery was replaced and they gave it a new serial number, so the original mfg date doesn't seem relevant at this point.

The main circuit board was replaced in Jan. when the battery was replaced and they gave it a new serial number, so the original mfg date doesn't seem relevant at this point.
We don't mean the replacement, we are asking when the battery/board in the original unit that you sent back was manufactured? If you don't know that, then when did you first buy the Teric?

We don't mean the replacement, we are asking when the battery/board in the original unit that you sent back was manufactured? If you don't know that, then when did you first buy the Teric?

Early 2019-ish. I can't find paperwork with old serial number.

Back
Top Bottom