Shearwater Teric as a Daily Watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RobPNW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Fenix 5X watch that I got for the various activity features that is has. At first, I was pretty religious at using all the features but I have found over time that I basically use it as a watch, which of course is total overkill. I was looking at getting rid of it on Craigslist. I also was looking at the possibility of getting a Teric as a dive computer. Question is, can you basically disable the dive features of the Teric if not diving that week and just use it as a daily watch? I assume if all the features are active, it would burn through battery life fairly quickly if using only as a watch. But if I can disable the dive features during those times, maybe the battery life would be okay. I would be using it for diving a couple times a month or more if on a dive trip. Is there a way to go into the settings and put it solely in watch mode? Does anyone do that, and if so, how much battery life do you get on a charge with limited features active? My only desires for a watch would be to keep time, multiple time zones, decent watch face, alarm etc. Getting the new Garmin Descent watch would be a waste for me personally, because as I said before, I would likely not use many of the non diving features. Thanks in advance.

Too big and heavy for me, but that's personal. Yes, you can turn off the AI and the compass to decrease battery consumption. Somebody else will have to give you battery life as a daily wear watch.

upload_2021-4-10_15-29-14.png

Looking at the web site it advertised 50 hours in timepiece mode vs 30 in dive mode. That 50 hours sounds really low to me so if anyone has real world experience let me know. I mean recharging every two days as only a watch? Thanks.

Single time zone. I wear it daily on dive trips, but not when home (too big & heavy).

I have a Fenix 5X watch that I got for the various activity features that is has. At first, I was pretty religious at using all the features but I have found over time that I basically use it as a watch, which of course is total overkill. I was looking at getting rid of it on Craigslist. I also was looking at the possibility of getting a Teric as a dive computer. Question is, can you basically disable the dive features of the Teric if not diving that week and just use it as a daily watch? I assume if all the features are active, it would burn through battery life fairly quickly if using only as a watch. But if I can disable the dive features during those times, maybe the battery life would be okay. I would be using it for diving a couple times a month or more if on a dive trip. Is there a way to go into the settings and put it solely in watch mode? Does anyone do that, and if so, how much battery life do you get on a charge with limited features active? My only desires for a watch would be to keep time, multiple time zones, decent watch face, alarm etc. Getting the new Garmin Descent watch would be a waste for me personally, because as I said before, I would likely not use many of the non diving features. Thanks in advance.
So I use a garmin mk2 and love It the only other feature I use on It outside of diving is notifications and just started using the biking app with my one wheel It may seem stupid because you won’t use anything out side of diving but it’s not having notifications on your wrist is amazing and It tracks your heart rate and all that the way I see It is have and not need It rather than need It and not have It ya know plus if you don’t get the Air integration model you can save some money and possibly find one on eBay like I did just my 2 cents

I don’t know anything, but I’m not surprised by that 50hr spec. Actually keeping time with a quartz resonator and counting circut uses effectively zero power but that big colorful display is pretty hungry by watch standards, keeping the full-featured CPU on standby costs a bit too. Not Shearwaters fault; any comparable product will face the same limitations. Apple is boasting about 18hrs!

I don’t know anything, but I’m not surprised by that 50hr spec. Actually keeping time with a quartz resonator and counting circut uses effectively zero power but that big colorful display is pretty hungry by watch standards, keeping the full-featured CPU on standby costs a bit too. Not Shearwaters fault; any comparable product will face the same limitations. Apple is boasting about 18hrs!
So that’s another feature I love about the garmin I currently have 49% battery life left and it’s saying 8 days left on the charge I’m usually going a week or so on a charge on my MK2 the only downfall is that It isn’t an OLED display like the teric is so the brightness underwater isn’t the greatest even with the light turned all the way up but I can still see Everything

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 164
My teric battery doesn't even last a week when it's off.....

I frequently wear my Atmos mission 1 on land, mostly because it does text and email notifications. The battery lasts a long time, and it seems to have been extended even further by the last firmware update. I also use the GPS when out in a boat or Kayak.

My teric battery doesn't even last a week when it's off.....
You need to send it back in then as that is not normal - I had mine serviced for battery drain as did many others and it’s been fine since then. However, I agree with others that it’s a bit big and heavy for a daily watch.

You need to send it back in then as that is not normal - I had mine serviced for battery drain as did many others and it’s been fine since then. However, I agree with others that it’s a bit big and heavy for a daily watch.

Battery was replaced in January. It was fine for a month, but its now worse than it was before.

Back
Top Bottom