Shearwater Perdix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3) when you get a deco stop greater than your presetting (say 6m) and you are required to do say a 9m deco the time shows only the first deco stop (of say 2min at 9m) and the 6m deco is not shown except in the TTS ( so if you had 2min at 9m and 16min at 6m it only shows 2min at 9m and the TTS shows 18min +/-) -id like it if it showed me the 6m deco and the 9m deco at the same time one under the other

You can see your next and subsequent stop (deco schedule) while on an actual decompression dive. It's on the dive setting, dive planner menu which can be activated in real time during a deco dive. I find this feature very useful when on a technical decompression dive.

Take note however, that the planner will not give you warnings such as gas limits, CNS limit violations or isobaric counter-diffusion risks due to sudden helium switches.

I had the Petrel 2. Same computer as the Perdix, in a less bulky box. I then bought a SeaBear H3, used them both for a couple of months, then sold the Petrel.

SW customer service is awesome. I broke my Bluetooth dongle. I emailed them to inquire about purchasing a replacement. They sent me one for free. It's not just about dealing with broken computers - which are very rare for SW. It's also about accessories and firmware updates.

I don't think there is any need for me to repeat all the praise, so I'll just mention the things I did not like about the Petrel 2.

- It was too bulky for my taste. It's 39mm thick. The Perdix is much better, but it's still 39mm thick at its thickest part. My H3 is 13mm thick, I think, and does everything the Perdix does. The OSTC 3 uses the same type of battery as the Perdix and it's much thinner (22mm, according to their specs).

- The buttons are fairly easy to hit by accident. I personally know 2 divers who told me they've had an accidental gas switch happen on their Petrel or Perdix without them knowing it, because of accidental button presses. At least one SB member posted that he's had the same thing happen.

- I don't think the buttons are very ergonomic. It's not as easy to reach the far side button with my thumb as I'd like. Obviously a minor nit.

- Hard to feel the buttons with gloves on. I had many occasions of pressing a button and wondering why nothing happened only to figure out that my finger or thumb was slightly off and not pressing the button. But, I couldn't tell that by feel.

- Those last 3 things put together resulting in my conclusion that a better design would be to have the buttons on the front side (a la the Ratio iX3M), instead of the right and left sides. Having at least 3 buttons would be nicer, also, to eliminate what someone else already mentioned about having to scroll all the way through the menus all the time.

- The Perdix does not have an option for Air Integration. I have always enjoyed having AI on my computer for recreational dives and I have since started using AI (on my backup computer) as my main tank pressure gauge on my technical dives as well.

The Perdix is a GREAT computer. But, don't believe the statement that nobody who bought one ever regretted it.

Since you're talking about buying something for next year, I would point out that several announcements are expected regarding tech-capable computers (and, presumably others) at DEMA which is at the beginning of November. One thing that is definitely expected is ScubaPro to announce the release of their version of the H3 and for it to have an AI option. If you don't need a new computer before then, it might be worth waiting to see if something is announced that appeals to you even more than a Perdix.

I had the Petrel 2. Same computer as the Perdix, in a less bulky box. I then bought a SeaBear H3, used them both for a couple of months, then sold the Petrel.

SW customer service is awesome. I broke my Bluetooth dongle. I emailed them to inquire about purchasing a replacement. They sent me one for free. It's not just about dealing with broken computers - which are very rare for SW. It's also about accessories and firmware updates.

I don't think there is any need for me to repeat all the praise, so I'll just mention the things I did not like about the Petrel 2.

- It was too bulky for my taste. It's 39mm thick. The Perdix is much better, but it's still 39mm thick at its thickest part. My H3 is 13mm thick, I think, and does everything the Perdix does. The OSTC 3 uses the same type of battery as the Perdix and it's much thinner (22mm, according to their specs).

- The buttons are fairly easy to hit by accident. I personally know 2 divers who told me they've had an accidental gas switch happen on their Petrel or Perdix without them knowing it, because of accidental button presses. At least one SB member posted that he's had the same thing happen.

- I don't think the buttons are very ergonomic. It's not as easy to reach the far side button with my thumb as I'd like. Obviously a minor nit.

- Hard to feel the buttons with gloves on. I had many occasions of pressing a button and wondering why nothing happened only to figure out that my finger or thumb was slightly off and not pressing the button. But, I couldn't tell that by feel.

- Those last 3 things put together resulting in my conclusion that a better design would be to have the buttons on the front side (a la the Ratio iX3M), instead of the right and left sides. Having at least 3 buttons would be nicer, also, to eliminate what someone else already mentioned about having to scroll all the way through the menus all the time.

- The Perdix does not have an option for Air Integration. I have always enjoyed having AI on my computer for recreational dives and I have since started using AI (on my backup computer) as my main tank pressure gauge on my technical dives as well.

The Perdix is a GREAT computer. But, don't believe the statement that nobody who bought one ever regretted it.

Since you're talking about buying something for next year, I would point out that several announcements are expected regarding tech-capable computers (and, presumably others) at DEMA which is at the beginning of November. One thing that is definitely expected is ScubaPro to announce the release of their version of the H3 and for it to have an AI option. If you don't need a new computer before then, it might be worth waiting to see if something is announced that appeals to you even more than a Perdix.
I've tried the Petrel and the Perdix and the Perdix is SUBSTANTIALLY thinner on the wrist. The 39mm part is quite well compensated for by the radius of your arm.

I hear good things about the OSTC, the H3 and I've tried the iX3M and liked it. There are a lot of options out there. All that being said, there's a reason the SW computers are as ubiquitous as they are.

I own both a Perdix and a Petrel. The Perdix is significantly more streamlined. However, I actually prefer the form factor and robustness of the Petrel, even when diving fully loaded with stages and a scooter.

I find the Perdix easy to use though I am strictly recreational. The menu system is a delight to navigate compared to previous wrist/puck DCs I have used. Any computer requires that you really know what it is telling you and how it works to get the best out of it. You cannot just go on autopilot and look at the screen. Well you can of course but I never feel comfortable with that approach. It does what I need it to do simply and reliably and the interface simplicity reduces the chance of my making a mistake.

My main issue was mounting. The supplied straps are just difficult to use and not comfortable for me. Surgical tubing was the same. I finally settled on shock cord with a ellipse toggle to fasten.

I own 2 Perdixes. It is the first dive computer I've used where you really don't need to read the manual, unless you are going to change GF (I haven't) or similar. It is brain dead simple to use and navigate. All other dive computer manufacturers should look at what Shearwater is doing.

The support by Shearwater historically is second to none.

I love my Perdix! There are a couple of things I would like to see improved. First, I'd like to see a seconds display instead of rounding to whole minutes. This would be helpful in knowing when I need to anticipate moving from one stop to the next. Second, I wish there were more options in configuring the middle row of displays in tec mode. At the end of the day, however, I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything else on the market!

i think
First, I'd like to see a seconds display instead of rounding to whole minutes. This would be helpful in knowing when I need to anticipate moving from one stop to the next.

if I recall the word TIME has segmented line that moves from T-I-M-E so each dash = 15 seconds
check manual

yes it has page 11of manual

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom