Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How can you not count the bolt snap? I haven't even been diving that long and I've already experienced: Cave line holding a bolt snap to a light frayed and let loose during a dive and I lost that light. A bolt snap gate got so stiff that I clipped it on without really registering a problem, but when I went to unclip it in the water, I fought with it and was finally bare able to get it open. The bolt snap is certainly a low risk source of trouble, but then so is the HP hose, the O-rings, and the SPG itself. If you're counting any of those, I would count them all.

If the cave line breaks, the worst you have is a dangling SPG, so you tuck it into your waist strap. If the gate were to stick, and you really couldn't unjam it, I suppose you could cut the cave line. You don't need to call the dive. It's not a big deal.

If you use your Shearwater with any of the middle row fields set to not display (i.e. blank), then your point is fair. Otherwise, with the PAI, you would be replacing a middle row number with your pressure reading. So, no MORE numbers than before - only 1 different number.

Okay, I wasn't aware of that. I figured they crammed another number in. I wasn't even aware the center row was configurable. For the kind of diving I have been doing, I would be glad to get rid of maximum depth or PPO2 or whatever is there and leave black space.

Regardless, do you ever do anything while diving that requires 2 hands for more than a moment? Say, hold onto something with one hand while taking a picture with the other? Or use both hands to hold a camera rig? If you never have both hands tied up at the same time for more than a few seconds, then I'll buy your final point. But, when you ARE using both hands, please tell me how cylinder pressure on computer is not MORE convenient than a clipped off SPG.

No, I haven't done anything that requires 2 hands for more than a moment. I have recently added a GoPro to my repertoire, but I keep it clipped off in a pocket most of the dive because I don't like the idea of having both hands occupied with something like a camera all the time. I take it out now and then to take short videos. I suppose I could mount it to my mask or something, too. My training says that I really ought to keep my right hand free most of the time, so I am ready to donate gas with it. I think if I were to get seriously into photography, I would come up with some plan that goes beyond my present training, such as having a buddy/assistant stand by at the ready while I operate the camera. I really haven't given any thought to how to handle a camera. I realize that half the divers in the world seemingly pick up a camera after OW certification and never give it a second thought.

Please provide data to backup your implicit assertion that modern AI, using current generation PPS transmitters, is not as reliable or more reliable than an analog SPG.

I was hoping to couch my words so as to avoid the implication that I was taking that position. Reliability of AI versus a mechanical SPG has been discussed before, and I have been persuaded that there are just as many failure modes with a mechanical SPG, and that some actual SB members say they have indeed experienced SPG failures, just as some others say they have experienced AI failures. Simplicity, not necessarily increased reliability, is what's attractive to me. As I said, I think a mechanical SPG is just as simple if not simpler than AI, albeit in a different way.

Oh, and as for the Datamask, well, if there were a HUD like that that would work with any mask, I would definitely be considering it. I would not pay a lot extra for it, versus a Perdix AI. And I wouldn't want something that is built into a mask that may not fit me well or may have to be replaced. But, something like that, that would clip onto the masks I have and work with my gauge reader lenses sounds great!

That you would be attracted to yet more electronic dive stuff does not surprise me in the least. Not me.

Lol... there are numerous threads linked there that are 7-14 years old (only 4 that are 1 year or less old)... and if you actually read them, many do not support the case that AI is less reliable than SPG - they are just discussions on merit of one versus the other (and based on older AI tech)...

Is that true--that AI technology has improved? I am asking seriously. One would hope it has, but I know nothing about it. All I know is that I have seen posts from time to time from someone lamenting some aspect of AI--maybe the posts are now years old--but have rarely seen anyone complaining about their SPG. Some have reported SPG failures after the question was raised in a poll or something along those lines, but generally I just haven't seen complaints from anyone dissatisfied with their SPG. Believe me, when AI has evolved into the new standard that essentially all divers are taught to use, and SPGs are considered vintage dive gear, I will be on board with AI. I don't think we're there just yet.

@Kevrumbo: I'm just curious. What instruments do you dive with? What are all the depth gauges you dive with? And what are all the timing devices you dive with? I'm assuming you dive with more than 1 of each of those, and I'm curious how many and what they all are. If it makes a difference, and you don't mind taking the time, please break it down by single tank recreational dives versus technical dives.
Petrel 2 dive computer on my right wrist, Suunto SK7 compass in a bungied boot on my left wrist, analog SPG in BAR units on a 24" hp hose clipped to left hip D-ring and a Uwatec 330m Bottom Timer or Liquivision Xeo in gauge mode in my left pocket as back-up --all for both single recreational and doubles technical backmount diving. For doubles sidemount, my SPG's are on 6" hoses streamlined along the tank (i.e. not bungie tied or protruding out forward like "lollipops" or "curb feelers"). For X-Scooter/DPV dives, I'll add the Bottom Timer to my left forearm since I primarily trigger & drive the scooter with my right arm & hand. I have another SK7 compass mounted on the scooter. My left hand also carries my primary light, which I have the skill to temporarily clip-off to a shoulder D-ring or to thumb hold with my right hand while I check the SPG every five or ten minutes with my left hand, including while scootering on-the-fly as needed.

The Petrel 2 screen is always set in Tech mode: the middle field display has the Average Depth; the ppO2 display is blanked (because after analyzing my gases, I always know the ppO2 at MOD of what I'm breathing); and the GF99 readout enabled. The bottom field display for the NDL readout is set to alternatively indicate "delta plus 5min" in decompression mode, which shows the cumulative effect on total-time-to-surface (TTS) if I stay at the current depth for an arbitrary 5 extra minutes (like a deepstop, or perhaps an extended deco stop at 21m/70' on Eanx50 for example).

GF hi/lo is set to 30/85 on the Petrel and is a realtime back up contingency to what I know on pre-dive deco profile planning, along with back-up tables written on wetnotes in my right pocket. I can electively extend an O2 profile at 6 meters depth, realtime during the dive on the Petrel, by changing GF hi to a lower value like 70 or 60 because of cold water deco inefficiency and/or extra time needed for decompressing slow tissue supersaturation.

The reason I don't require AI functionality -either direct hose connected or wireless- is that for AL80 (11L) and HP100 (12L) cylinders, my depth in meters indicates my nominal pressure DCR (Depth Consumption Rate) per 5 minutes for single tank; and pressure DCR per 10 minutes for manifolded doubles. In other words, if I'm at 30 meters depth, I'll consume 30 bar; 40 meters depth means 40 bar; 20 meters depth means 20 bar etc. So in effect, my depth gauge is my de facto "AI" display telling me my DCR per five or ten minutes intervals. And I always know what my actual remaining pressure is within 15bar, and in relation to my Minimum Gas Reserve (MGR) aka "Rock Bottom", or Modified Third's Turn Pressure, confirmed with a quick check of the SPG at every five or ten minute intervals of elapsed dive time (my gas management & consumption pre-dive plan is always in terms of Pressure -not GTR "Gas Time Remaining"). [My volume Surface Consumption Rate (SCR) range is 15 to 22 liters/min which is 0.5 to 0.8 cuft/min]

If my DCR increases due to hard exertion, then I stop whatever physical activity that is causing it, or if I cannot --I end the dive regardless of whether I'm near MGR/Rock Bottom, or even at the beginning of the dive with a relatively full tank, or anywhere in between. IOW, if you're breathing hard and you're spiraling into Hypercapnia, whatever instantaneous info an AI/GTR is indicating is moot & superfluous, because your body is already telling you long before of an unsustainable physical condition at depth (hyperventilation, increased WOB, and CO2 narcosis). . . Abort and end the dive.

Last edited:
Rock Bottom, yes, that's what my wife/buddy and I try to use. I just don't see how an AI computer is really going to make it much simpler for us by calculating GTR or Rock Bottom or anything else.

I think you have misunderstood my point. For the likes of you, and your wife. You understand Rock bottom and your SAC etc. But for the majority of divers (including a fair few on SB) these concepts are alien. They have have no exposure to them, and even if they were included in training, they were forgotten (because of the information overload)

Personally I think its a useful step for people like these to have this information available to help them. It's no different really from the NDL.

I accept that the few times where I've relied heavily on the computers info and calcs, have been quite extreme, and while I didn't need the computer, the fact I had it with that info freed up mental bandwidth for other more pressing thoughts.

Being a data geek I have been able to analyse my gas consumption for instance and make improvements or prove to myself that my subject analysis during the dive was wrong (or right) I like that, but not everyone cares, and that's okay.

I totally get and agree with too much data being displayed and how it can become confusing/hard to read. On my Eon I have multiple pages, each being customisable. So for instance I have one screen with my NDL/deco as the primary data, and it'll have max depth total dive time accessible, purely because that the screen I'll end the dive on and the info requested on the boat.

My gas screen will have more gas info, my compass screen and timer screen have info pertaining to that point in the dive

(Obviously important data such as gas contents and NDL are always shown if that isn't the primary data. I have all the basic info at a glance not needing to change screens - but at different points of the dive I want my computer to have info displayed differently.

I don't need my compass or timer that often on a dive, so why should I waste screen space on them

I've set mine up, around my personal preferences - others would do it differently. I like the choice of what info I want and the way its displayed. This isn't to say the Eon is better, just to make a point how data can be shown more productively

I think you have misunderstood my point. For the likes of you, and your wife. You understand Rock bottom and your SAC etc. But for the majority of divers (including a fair few on SB) these concepts are alien. They have have no exposure to them, and even if they were included in training, they were forgotten (because of the information overload)

Personally I think its a useful step for people like these to have this information available to help them. It's no different really from the NDL.

I accept that the few times where I've relied heavily on the computers info and calcs, have been quite extreme, and while I didn't need the computer, the fact I had it with that info freed up mental bandwidth for other more pressing thoughts.

Being a data geek I have been able to analyse my gas consumption for instance and make improvements or prove to myself that my subject analysis during the dive was wrong (or right) I like that, but not everyone cares, and that's okay.

I totally get and agree with too much data being displayed and how it can become confusing/hard to read. On my Eon I have multiple pages, each being customisable. So for instance I have one screen with my NDL/deco as the primary data, and it'll have max depth total dive time accessible, purely because that the screen I'll end the dive on and the info requested on the boat.

My gas screen will have more gas info, my compass screen and timer screen have info pertaining to that point in the dive

(Obviously important data such as gas contents and NDL are always shown if that isn't the primary data. I have all the basic info at a glance not needing to change screens - but at different points of the dive I want my computer to have info displayed differently.

I don't need my compass or timer that often on a dive, so why should I waste screen space on them

I've set mine up, around my personal preferences - others would do it differently. I like the choice of what info I want and the way its displayed. This isn't to say the Eon is better, just to make a point how data can be shown more productively
For those who don't know the concept of Rock Bottom/Minimum Gas Reserve and Ascent Strategies, here's a good video describing it:

If you still want a wireless AI, then fine . . .still, just use the above concepts in the video.
  • @Diving Dubai, you know already understand what works for you and your buddy using 15L and 12L cylinders, along with pony safety bottles. But go ahead and at least read the plan below anyway and see if it makes sense . . .or try it on a dive with your EON Steel.
Here's another easy very conservative gas planning example & exercise for a novice OW Buddy Team to the Basic Open Water NDL Limit of 18m/60':

Pre-Dive Plan: Given an Emergency "Stressed" 30 liters/min per ATA Surface Consumption Rate (SCR), with 18 meters depth NDL, and with an arbitrary conservative controlled and slow 0.5 minute stops (30sec) every 3 meters ascent rate to a Safety Stop --let's calculate the "Rock Bottom"/Minimum Gas Reserve requirement value to get to the surface starting from 18meters (same as 2.8 ATA):

Depth(ATA) x SCR x Minutes = Liters
2.8 x 30 x 1 = 84
2.5 x 30 x 0.5 = 37.4
2.2 x 30 x 0.5 = 33
1.9 x 30 x 0.5 = 28.5
1.6 x 30 x 2 = 96 [2 min Safety Stop]
1.3 x 30 x 0.5 = 19.5
1.0 x 30 x 0.5 = 15

Sum Total: 313.4 liters gas needed to ascend to surface for an emergency contingency.

Divide the above total by the metric tank rating of the Scuba cylinder in use; for this example let's use the AL80 tank again which has a metric rating of 11 liters/bar. So 313 divided-by 11 = round up to approx 30 bar.

That's 30 bar to get you to the surface --to get yourself and sharing gas with an Out-of-Air Buddy you will need at least twice this amount: 30 x 2 = 60 bar. Therefore your Rock Bottom Reserve pressure is 60 bar showing on your SPG --if there is no emergency air sharing contingency at that instant with your SPG reading 60 bar actual, just continue the dive but start a easy nominal ascent to the shallower depths between 5m and 9m. Finally, be at your 5 to 6m safety stop with your buddy with no less than 50 bar showing on the SPG.

Your usable gas for the dive is your starting pressure subtracted by the Rock Bottom Reserve --so 200 bar minus 60 bar equals 140 bar usable. Let's use 20 bar of this 140 to get squared away in good trim & buoyancy on the descent to 18m which leaves 120 bar usable. Now if your dive plan calls for returning to near the vicinity of your original point of entry (like a beach dive for instance), then turn the dive back around when you use half of 120 bar or 60 bar consumed [Rule of Halves].

So for a dive with a nominal volume SCR of 22 liters/min per ATA on a 11L per bar (AL80) tank, your resulting pressure SCR will be 2 bar/min per ATA [22 divided-by 11 equals 2bar/min per ATA]. Your depth in meters, which converts easily to ATA (simply divide-by-10 and add 1) becomes your multiplier depth factor for your 2bar/min per ATA pressure SCR.

18 meters depth is 2.8 ATA (divide 18 by 10 and add 1 equals 2.8 ATA); your 2bar/min per ATA pressure SCR at depth -or Depth Consumption Rate (DCR)- now becomes 5.6 bar/min. [2.8 times 2bar/min equals 5.6 bar/min]. So 10 minutes at depth 18m on an AL80 (11L/bar) tank in nominal conditions, you would expect to consume 56bar of gas (10min times 5.6 bar/min equals 56bar), and your SPG reading to show a delta of 56bar less for that 10 minute elapsed time interval. . .

Okay, you splash in to start the dive with 200bar and a 60 bar rock bottom. You use up 20bar on descent --initial exertion, inflating your BCD/wing etc. -so you now have 180bar with 60 bar rock bottom at present depth 18m, a net usable of 120 bar (180 minus 60 is 120 bar).

Leisurely kicking out for 10 minutes, an easy swim looking at all the cool marine life around -- you already know by the end of this 10 minute interval and confirmed with a SPG reading that you've used up 56bar, close to half of a net usable of 120 bar, so you decide to turn the dive coming back around on a reciprocal course. You should now know you have roughly 60 bar of usable gas left before encroaching on your Rock Bottom Reserve, and realize that you must start a nominal ascent from 18m at the end of the next 10 minute interval. (Note: 20 minutes elapsed bottom time at 18 meters depth is well within NDL).

Alright, so while turning back, you see a turtle and decide to chase it for a few minutes, huffing & puffing on your reg, until it dives down below your operational depth of 18m; because of this unplanned turtle excursion & physical exertion, you immediately check your SPG and it reads 60 bar --bingo! Rock bottom has arrived so start ascending to the shallower depths & eventual Safety Stop . . .or if your Buddy just happens to blow his/her tank neck O-ring at that instant with a catastrophic loss of all remaining gas supply --you know you've got enough breathing gas margin for a controlled air-sharing Emergency ascent profile as described above.

Be aware that depending on environmental conditions and physical exertion (cold water, stiff current, long surface swim, thick surface kelp forest, heavy workload at depth etc), you may have to reserve a greater Rock Bottom Reserve --perhaps as high or even over 100 bar on the 11L/AL80 tank to be conservative. (Even better just abort the dive, wait another day or find another easier site to dive!)

Last edited:
@Kevrumbo

Those gas plans are too liberal for me.

I use 50l/min for the panicked diver and 25l/min for the buddy - because everyone's SAC peaks. I use a max ascent rate of 3.3 m/m to allow for stops and waiting etc.

So where as your plan is for 305l total gas consumption, for the same depth mine is 705l

No sane computer manufacturer is ever going to use my conservatism.

After my incident we re-thought. In my normal location my Al 40 pony is for depths to 25m, Anything more then I sling an AL 80 - My pony is fitted with a primary Reg on 40" hose and an Alternate on a 60" hose. While we got to the surface including stops and some deco with a bit of gas left, it wasn't enough - a few more minutes delay could have meant a different set of choices. No one has ever died from carrying too much (breathable) gas

I use this from hard earned experience. In challenging conditions for sure, This is why I laugh inwardly at the debates on pony size etc. All sound great from behind a keyboard not so great in a real life SHTF moment.

@Kevrumbo

Those gas plans are too liberal for me.

I use 50l/min for the panicked diver and 25l/min for the buddy - because everyone's SAC peaks. I use a max ascent rate of 3.3 m/m to allow for stops and waiting etc.

So where as your plan is for 305l total gas consumption, for the same depth mine is 705l

No sane computer manufacturer is ever going to use my conservatism.

After my incident we re-thought. In my normal location my Al 40 pony is for depths to 25m, Anything more then I sling an AL 80 - My pony is fitted with a primary Reg on 40" hose and an Alternate on a 60" hose. While we got to the surface including stops and some deco with a bit of gas left, it wasn't enough - a few more minutes delay could have meant a different set of choices. No one has ever died from carrying too much (breathable) gas

I use this from hard earned experience. In challenging conditions for sure, This is why I laugh inwardly at the debates on pony size etc. All sound great from behind a keyboard not so great in a real life SHTF moment.
50 liters/min is not physically sustainable even for a panicked diver at depth --he/she will quickly lapse into unconsciousness after a few minutes due to gas density work-of-breathing leading to dynamic airway collapse, and metabolic CO2 retention and poisoning (Hypercapnia). CO2 also produces cerebral vasodilation which makes a diver more susceptible to Oxygen Toxicity Seizures.

Divers swimming at 15 - 18 meters/min require a ventilation rate of about 17 liters/min or less. Experience indicates that breathing less than 28 liters/min of gas during technical and cave diving is tolerated without symptoms of CO2 accumulation. However, as gas consumption increases above 28 liters/min, especially as gas consumption approaches 56 liters/min, there is increased likelihood of CO2 accumulation and resultant deleterious effects (see Carbon Dioxide, Narcosis, and Diving | Global Underwater Explorers).

See also this excellent video:

Last edited:
I missed a couple hundred posts here, so I don't know if this has already been addressed...

Interesting thing about the Two Transmitter limit on the Perdix. Unlike my Atom or TX-1; the Shearwater will display both transmitters' data simultaneously. That may come in handy if (probably when) I go into sidemount. A single screen on the wrist showing when best to switch regs.

Hard for you to say, because you don't know what you're talking about.
  • You have an inconsistent mathematical construct in terms of units: you cannot assign a unit of Volume to a value of Pressure. "25 psi/min" is not a Respiratory Minute Volume (RMV) term.
  • Also a given RMV or volume SAC rate is consistent across all tank sizes so your argument, "25 psi/min from an AL80 is a lower RMV than 25 psi/min from an HP120 is exactly and perfectly correct", is not only exactly wrong & incorrect, but makes absolutely no sense.

I had let this go, but since I've let you tempt me into another useless response, let me explain this to you in more simple terms.

I said "25 psi/min from an AL80 is a lower RMV than 25 psi/min from an HP120." You said that is wrong & incorrect [both!].

If your SAC is 25 psi/min and you are using an AL80, then you are consuming 0.64 cu-ft of air per minute (if you are on the surface).

If your SAC is 25 psi/min and you are using an HP120, then you are consuming 0.86 cu-ft of air per minute.

Thus, your RMV is higher with an HP120. The same comparison is true no matter what depth you're talking about. It also doesn't matter whether you assume 25 psi/min is corrected for the surface or is the actual rate at depth. I just chose depth of 0 for convenience of the calculations. At any depth and any consumption rate, if the rate of change of tank pressure over time is the same, then using an HP120 means your RMV is higher than if you're using an AL80. 25 psi corresponds to a specific volume of gas from an AL80 and it will always be less than the volume of gas that is correspondent with 25 psi in an HP120. Period.

What I said before is perfectly accurate and correct. Apparently, you are the only one that couldn't understand it, so again I encourage you to seek help with either reading comprehension or basic gas planning.

Petrel 2 dive computer ... and a Uwatec 330m Bottom Timer or Liquivision Xeo in gauge mode

Let me make sure I understand the points you've been making. I'm going to kind of summarize, to please set me straight if I get this wrong.

A Petrel 2 sells for $850. A Xeo runs $620. A 330m Depth Gauge is $260. So, you have/use roughly $1700 worth of electronics for your diving. Possibly as low as around $1100 worth on any given single dive.

The issues you have with the Perdix AI are practicality, economy, and reliability.

You have mentioned AI dropouts, meaning temporary loss of signal, numerous times. You have also referred to the AI functionality as being "electronic", implying that it has a battery and an O-ring for the battery compartment, extrapolating to the conclusion that it is less reliable than a simply, physical SPG.

You have also said that you don't really need an SPG. An SPG is backup, to confirm your primary SPG in your head.

You have also said (I think), that you calculate your ascent plan in your head and use the Petrel 2 as backup to confirm the plan you come up with.

Now, if you used 2 mechanical depth gauges and 2 wind-up mechanical timers (along with your physical SPG), I could give you kudos for at least being consistent. If you even used one mechanical and one electronic, I could still find consistency. But, I cannot see any consistency in your actual statements.

Maybe this is my inexperience showing, but I feel like the single most important piece of data a diver needs is their depth. Next most important is a timer. But, I can count off a close approximation of seconds in my head. So, if I know my depth and roughly how long I've been down, I can work out some kind of ascent schedule in my head and then follow it somewhat closely.

So, if depth is the single MOST important piece of data, and an SPG reading is not really that important, where is the consistency in saying that you need a physical SPG for the reliability (but you don't need any redundancy), but you are fine with having 2 depth gauges that are both electronic? Both are subject to batteries dying. Both are subject to flooding. Tech divers plan for two failures, right? What if your 2 failures are your 2 computers? You then rely on your buddy? Okay, that is the accepted answer. But, in that case, why is it a problem to have an electronic SPG? Having an SPG is not nearly as important as having a depth gauge and timer, right? If it totally dies, it's no big deal, right? So, who cares if it has a 1 or 2 second dropout every now and then? If an SPG is SO important you need the ultra-reliability of being physical, then why don't you have 2? If it's not THAT important, then what's wrong with having one with occasional brief dropouts? I don't see consistency here.

The single most important piece of data you can have is depth. But why? Because you need to know your depth to determine and control your ascent. If you trust an electronic gizmo (for your primary and backup, no less) to tell you your current depth, max depth, and average depth, and your time, then why would you say it's not okay to trust it as your primary and backup source for your ascent plan. Calculating an ascent plan in your head is subject to mistakes. I assert that it's a LOT more likely to result in a mistake than having a Petrel or Perdix calculate an ascent. But, if you think that a Petrel COULD make a mistake on calculating an ascent (and yet you trust it to tell you your average depth), then why not use a second computer to calculate an ascent and compare the two? If one of them has a problem where it's giving a significantly different ascent than the other, and you can't decide which one to follow, THEN you could use your mental gymnastics to calculate an ascent on your own, to help you decide which computer to follow.

How do you do your pre-dive planning? Do you run any kind of desktop computer software to tell you what your ascent should be? Does it tell you what your gas requirements are, too? Or do you do all of that just using pencil and paper? If you do any of that on a computer, how do you know that it's any more accurate than what a Petrel tells you in the water?

Like I said, maybe it's my inexperience showing. But, I just can't find any consistency in your statements. Using $1100 - 1800 worth of electronics to tell you your most important pieces of data then railing against a single, much cheaper (in comparison) electronic device to tell you a much less important piece of data just doesn't seem to fit together in my brain.

You keep mentioning "economy" and this all starts to seem like a bunch of FUD to rationalize a position that really boils down to "I think AI is too expensive for what you get (and that makes me grumpy)!"

You have a $600+ computer that you use as a backup, in gauge mode, fer cryin' out loud. How practical or economical is that? Most people use computers to maximize their bottom time. The alternative for them is using tables where any kind of multi-level dives would be cut way shorter if you had to end your dive based on tables. But, you actually figure your ascents in your head, not based on tables. So, why have a computer at all? If Ratio Deco or whatever it is you do is All That, where is the economy or practicality in having anything more than 2 of the 330m Bottom Timers? And if electronics is not reliable enough for an SPG, why not have at least 1 mechanical bottom timer, instead of 2 electronic ones?

Nope. No consistency at all. But, given you can't even understand that using 25 psi in a minute out of an AL80 is a higher volumetric consumption than using 25 psi in a minute out of an HP120, I guess I shouldn't expect any more.

Last edited:
Is that true--that AI technology has improved? I am asking seriously. One would hope it has, but I know nothing about it. All I know is that I have seen posts from time to time from someone lamenting some aspect of AI--maybe the posts are now years old--but have rarely seen anyone complaining about their SPG. Some have reported SPG failures after the question was raised in a poll or something along those lines, but generally I just haven't seen complaints from anyone dissatisfied with their SPG. Believe me, when AI has evolved into the new standard that essentially all divers are taught to use, and SPGs are considered vintage dive gear, I will be on board with AI. I don't think we're there just yet.
I have no direct info, but would be amazed if AI technology has not improved in 14 years as electronics and signal processing/software are always leaping forward.

Also , keep in mind that folks like to complain on internet forums - not claim they are pleased with things - so going by gripes on internet forums is not always a good indicator of the satisfaction of the overall user community or if broad issues exist. Also, many people do not like change and see new tech as an assault on established tech. To me, that is silly, AI is an alternative to a SPG for tank pressure monitoring that happens to also provide additional data/capabilities that an SPG can't. If that is interesting to a diver, then they go for it - If not, they can continue to do things as they like with their proven, reliable SPG. If one wants to use both AI and an SPG, then go ahead. I just don't get the pontificating from some on how all of us should dive and how we should spend our money.

Many of us rec divers don't actually plan gas requirements for our dives in advance like the tech divers do (nor do we really need to) - rather, we plan/execute our dives based on our available gas. We get on a boat or do a shore dive with an AL80 or AL100 filled to a certain psi and drop onto a reef. We are not doing deco, so we watch our depth, NDL and gas pressure and turn the dive and ascend at pre-determined pressures with enough reserve to do a 3-5 minute safety stop and still hit the surface with ~500 psi. So for us, having the tank pressure on our wrist where all of our other info is already displayed is a nice feature. For me, I'll still keep my SPG as a backup to avoid having to thumb a dive in the unlikely event the AI malfunctions. It's not more complicated than that.

BTW - I had an SPG issue last summer with a reg set that was only 1 year old. On the second to last day of diving in Grand Cayman, I noticed a stream of small bubbles coming out of the swivel connector on the HP hose while underwater and vapor coming out at the surface (was humid) - it was a small enough leak that the Dive Master and more other experienced divers I was diving with said it was not a real/immediate concern - but I kept a close eye on it while diving that day and the next and stuck very close to my buddy in case it got worse. When I got home, I had it repaired - was told it was an issue with the O-ring in the swivel/spool.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom