Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After doing that enough, wouldn't you start to trust the AI? And if they disagree, don't you think it's most likely the SPG that is wrong? I believe that AI is not known for giving erroneous readings. Generally, it either gives you an accurate reading or no reading at all.

Don't tempt me. Lol. I've battled this in my brain and would love one less hose to replace every few years, but I always come back to, "2 is 1 and 1 is none." The hose I do use for my SPG is short and hugs my body tight to my left chest d ring. So I figure it's there, but hardly noticeable. Why bother removing it, but it's still tempting. We'll see. Maybe one day I'll say screw it and remove it. I do agree, I'm running at 100% reliability on my AI computer.

Good observation. I wonder if it's happened before.
On that note.......it could make for an interesting valve drill experience if one were new to valve drills. This assumes that the transmitter were oriented the same way as the valve knob.
My single tank transmitter is on the right, same side as my tank valve, I have an SPG on the left side.

Don't tempt me. Lol. I've battled this in my brain and would love one less hose to replace every few years, but I always come back to, "2 is 1 and 1 is none." The hose I do use for my SPG is short and hugs my body tight to my left chest d ring. So I figure it's there, but hardly noticeable. Why bother removing it, but it's still tempting. We'll see. Maybe one day I'll say screw it and remove it. I do agree, I'm running at 100% reliability on my AI computer.
I've had a SPG on my left chest D ring for 6 years, I hardly ever look at it, but I could...

So, If I buy a Perdix AI, and already have a VT3, both on the same transmitter, do I still need to have my SPG?

Doesn't really matter, I've had the SPG for six years, I would probably miss it.

Hi Stuartv,

This is not quite correct. With our implementation, you can see pressure from either transmitter at any time. Either transmitter can be placed on the main screen, or two right button presses (one step past the compass) brings up an AI line, that doesn't time out back to the main screen. You can see a bit of this in a video we posted.

Not linking the transmitter to a specific gas results in a simpler system that is more flexible. The downside is GTR being limited to one gas. Although we find 1 gas GTR is ideal anyways. We tested more complex GTR with multi-tanks, and the setup required to cover different scenarios properly is too high. Our test engineers made frequent mistakes or forgot to change settings, which resulted in incorrect GTR. I hope to cover the rational for our design decisions in a future video.

We appreciate all the interest, discussions, and ideas. Many of us are at DEMA now, but we will provide more information once back in the office.

Best regards,
Tyler Coen
Shearwater Research
Tyler:

Thanks for video and your participation here in the forum. Many of us purchased the Shearwater non AI version and would love to upgrade to the AI version. Many of us have purchased this recently with our items still under warranty. Perhaps the company can come out with a program for folks to upgrade.

Thanks

Tyler:

Thanks for video and your participation here in the forum. Many of us purchased the Shearwater non AI version and would love to upgrade to the AI version. Many of us have purchased this recently with our items still under warranty. Perhaps the company can come out with a program for folks to upgrade.

Thanks
That seems like a somewhat unfair ask. The Shearwater warranty is 2 years, so how would you expect them to come up with a program to upgrade? What would they do with all of those used units? How would they make any money?

Like many companies, they don't publish a future product pipeline, likely as people might hold off on purchases waiting for a future product which could be detrimental to a relatively small company like Shearwater. They also don't appear to announce new products until they are fully baked and ready to ship - which I think is smart.

When you buy a new product, you take a risk that something "better" is waiting in the wings. Obviously, AI was not critical to you or you would not have bought a Perdix, so expecting them to assist all Perdix owners (it was just launched late last year) who might now want a Perdix AI is not realistic to me.

I plan on buying one and keeping the "old" Perdix as a backup. I'll then sell my Petral 2 which I had kept as my current backup after picking up the Perdix at launch last year.

Last edited:

I dived with both for a little while. Then I ditched the SPG. From my single tank rig, which is obviously recreational only. For rec diving, it's just not that big a deal if the AI dies (though it never has - 2 years now and still on the original transmitter battery). For most of mine, I know my SAC vs NDL well enough that I wouldn't even turn the dive.

I would like to see more than two transmitters supported and the transmitters tied to a gas mix so when I switch to my next gas it changes the transmitter for that tank on the main screen. Also a summary page showing all gasses and their pressures would be great for a quick sanity check. It would be cool if there was a sidemount switch has mode to switch between left and right tanks to switch the transmitter so you could have only the active tank displayed.

Gtr should be time on current tank at depth with surface time you would get more time when you switch to your next tank.

That seems like a somewhat unfair ask. The Shearwater warranty is 2 years, so how would you expect them to come up with a program to upgrade? What would they do with all of those used units? How would they make any money?

Like many companies, they don't publish a future product pipeline, likely as people might hold off on purchases waiting for a future product which could be detrimental to a relatively small company like Shearwater. They also don't appear to announce new products until they are fully baked and ready to ship - which I think is smart.

When you buy a new product, you take a risk that something "better" is waiting in the wings. Obviously AI was not critical to you or you would not have bought a Perdix, so expecting them to assist all Perdix owners (it was just launched late last year) who might now want a Perdix AI is not realistic to me.

I plan on buying one and keeping the "old" Perdix as a backup. I'll then sell my Petral 2 which I had kept as my current backup after picking up the Perdix at launch last year.

I agree. This sort of thing happens with many electronic product lines, it's inevitable that once you purchase a phone, tablet, computer, etc., a newer version is released. I haven't heard of any company for these products offering a buy back program for those that purchased prior to a new version release.

If I were inclined to sell my Perdix and use the money to buy an AI version, I would do so sooner rather than later.
That being said, I wouldn't do it. To me, the Perdix is worth more than $600, which is about what you'd get for a used Perdix; perhaps a bit less than that, considering a new one is less than $800.

I almost bought a new Perdix the day before the announcement of the AI...

Back
Top Bottom