Shearwater Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay so who wants to take bets on how many for sale adverts will be the first of the classified at one time? Currently there are seven. Can we hit double digits???

From the perspective of a single tank rec diver (and owner of a Galileo), I too believe that GTR for a single tank should be based on TTS and not just ascent. This is not only handy but could be an important safety back-up as well, If I, for some unexpected reason, go into deco, I would like to have GTR account for the stops instead of having to calculate on the fly, at depth, how the extra 3 or 5 or minutes on the TTS affects the GTR. The Uwatec algorithm does this (and even as Hatul said accounts for a variable ascent rate 60'/min up to 60' then 30/min and even a little slower above 20). So does the Oceanic, from the comments from the people using that...

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. It appears that I am part of a small minority on my approach to my GTR, SAC and TTS. For this information, I look at my SPG (or my Suunto AI) for my tank pressure and can easily translate minutes at a certain depth to my GTR. What is missing from my simplistic understanding of tank pressure to TTS, using my standard ascent rate and deco obligation. ;-)

The main problem with on the fly estimates of GTR is the much lower gas consumption as you get shallower. Calculating GTR beginning, say, at 120' through ascent and stops, based on SAC at that depth is going to be way off (on the conservative side--but maybe so much so as to lead you to believe incorrectly you do not have enough gas) and calculating SAC for 20' or 10' stops requires a level of math that no one is going to do physically at depth during a dive. Add to that the unseen but subtle narcosis that affects divers at that depth, plus, maybe, dealing with a current, dealing a buddy or team to alert them to your status as in mandatory deco and beginning the ascent, maybe vis issues, the stress of unplanned deco, and it is much better to have a computer that can accurately make the GTR estimate.

Of course, people faced with unexpected deco have been doing this gas estimation on the fly before AI, and lived to tell about it :). Still, because the function can be put into the computer, I think it should be put in. Just makes sense to optimize the function for maximum safety and benefit.

I've had a SPG on my left chest D ring for 6 years, I hardly ever look at it, but I could...
Snap. Me too. I only use my SPG when setting up my gear to check the tank pressure, as typically I'm on a dive deck so my computer is somewhere "safe"

I don't check my computer is receiving until I'm about to gear up (of course it'll have been checked before I go on the boat so I'll know silly things like battery life is okay)

I always look at my SPG when carrying out my test breaths before jumping, not because I don't trust my AI, but because it's habit, and a ritual.

@stuartv Not aimed at you, but my transmitters are on a 6" hose to prevent them being used as a grab, and to protect them against damage. The hose has a QD for the transmitter so I can remove them for transport etc.

I don't see the need to remove my SPG's, and frankly I'm too lazy any how. For me It's not a trust issue, I just don't see any real advantages to removing them. But that's just my way.

I'm still struggling to comprehend the SW way of assigning Transmitter and Gasses. I might just be particularly stupid this morning.

I can't criticise SW for taking baby steps with regard to AI. The other manufacturers have been doing this for a while and have had the opportunity to refine their methods. But of course different people will have different opinions based on their diving style.

I do use multiple transmitters (TX) on a regular bases, and I'll put my thoughts below. This is based on the Eon way - I'm NOT saying the Eon is better.

So with the Eon, the TX are assigned to gasses and you also put in your cylinder size. The only onerious part of this is ensuring you have the right TX on the right cylinder. My method is to write the last 4 of the Sn on the TX, they also have a letter (B) back gas (P) Pony etc etc. Not the best way but I can identify them. I would prefer different colours or some way to name the TX.

Where it does get complex with room for error: I may have an AL80 on my back with 32% and am slinging another AL80 as a pony because thats al thats available (on vacation this happens a lot)

My method to easily identify which cylinder is which, is that I would set my side sling as 31%. I use a lower percentage because if it was richer the computer would be constantly bitching at me to swap gasses to a better mix

The Eon makes a GTR calculation on each tank - it only displays one pressure at a time, so when you switch you get the GTR for that cylinder.

It does not give a cumulative GTR across all tanks, which is fine by me. I see the logic, and as SW have stated, it would be very complex.

Because I generally dive the same configuration 15L main, Al 40 pony the TX are always assigned to that cylinder size and all I need to do is change the mix.

If you could label the TX on the screen (rather than Sn to identify) surely this would be easy, given most people have the TX perminantly attached to a specific reg set? )

That wouldn't work for me, because my TX are on QD for safe keeping - but thats a self imposed issue and it's my responsibility therefore to ensure I replace the correct TX on a particular reg set.

Anyway just my thoughts and experiences

Okay so who wants to take bets on how many for sale adverts will be the first of the classified at one time? Currently there are seven. Can we hit double digits???

Double digits should not be hard - let's see what happens after DEMA when ppl get a chance to play with it.

I get a chuckle out of the "I just bought the prior one, I want an upgrade at the manufacturer's expense".....

I remember buying my Pertel1, and within a month, the Petrel2 was out (integral compass for those with a short memory). Sure, I'd have loved to have one that could do that, but I don't blame SW or the retailer, nor did I expect any opportunity for upgrading on their dime..

Looks like I may now be able to get either a Petrel2 or the Pedrix at a "discount". :rofl3:

Double digits should not be hard - let's see what happens after DEMA when ppl get a chance to play with it.
I suppose I could be convinced to put a Petrel 1 out there if anyone wants to trade for a Perdix AI.

I think Subsurface does not have a mobile device option, at this time, other than a companion app to let you capture GPS coordinates for dive sites. I haven't used it, so I'm not sure what all the companion app does.

This is not true anymore: There is Subsurface both for Android and iOS, you can find it in the respective app stores. The version is limited, though: At the moment, you have your log to display the information. You can add new dives manually but as of now, you cannot connect your dive computer. Also, the dive planner (and all deco information) is at the moment only in the desktop version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom