Shearwater Perdix 2 Silicone protective frame?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Beg to differ. I also have a Petrel2 with a chunk/chip missing from the battery compartment. They may be tough, but definitely are not indestructible.

The the silicone cover does help reduce shock, as evidenced by untold billions of silicone phone covers. No need to be so ridiculously contrary on an obvious issue.
Phones are a really bad analogy as they are effectively designed and built to need a case (e.g. iPhones with a glass back are just asking to be cracked) - built-in accessory/money making thing in my opinion.

I see no value in adding extra bulk with a silicone sleeve on my Perdix 2 or Teric and am not concerned if I get a scratch (have not though). However, as others have said, it’s your money/your decision so buy what you want.

Beg to differ. I also have a Petrel2 with a chunk/chip missing from the battery compartment. They may be tough, but definitely are not indestructible.

The the silicone cover does help reduce shock, as evidenced by untold billions of silicone phone covers. No need to be so ridiculously contrary on an obvious issue.

My apologies that you take offense with my "contrariness". I simply disagree with you. Completely. A Shearwater is built to a completely different standard than a smartphone. Any person with a lick of sense can see that. I have no clue why holding a different opinion makes me "ridiculously contrary". I guess I could call you ridiculously obtuse? It is not an "obvious issue". Far from it.

As I said, your computer ... your money. Do with as you wish.

The cover also lets me quickly identify my Perdix when there are several in the rinse tank....and tells others not to touch it. Mostly I like the bump protection...the silicone softens the blow when the computer hits something.

If you like the bling, go for it. If you think the bump protection is really doing much of anything beyond the protections already built into the design of the computer, IMO you are mistaken. But as I've said many times, it's your computer, do as you wish. I'm only here on the "silicone sleeve fanboi thread" to share an alternative, and I believe predominant, point of view. That's what an online forum is really all about, isn't it?

Since the OP stated that "... I'm the kind of person who doesn't like scuffs on my gadgets.", it does work for that purpose, so offering him the alternative to not using one will not prevent what he wants to avoid, so a reply for such wasn't really needed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Since the OP stated that "... I'm the kind of person who doesn't like scuffs on my gadgets.", it does work for that purpose, so offering him the alternative to not using one will not prevent what he wants to avoid, so a reply for such wasn't really needed.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So just shut up and quite sharing an alternative point of view? Got it. I'm done. Enjoy your bling.

My apologies that you take offense with my "contrariness". I simply disagree with you. Completely. A Shearwater is built to a completely different standard than a smartphone. Any person with a lick of sense can see that. I have no clue why holding a different opinion makes me "ridiculously contrary". I guess I could call you ridiculously obtuse? It is not an "obvious issue". Far from it.

As I said, your computer ... your money. Do with as you wish.
I've done about 1,500 dives on Shearwater computers since 2010 and have the repair bills for cracked screens, cases, and floods due to damage. I bought a couple of cheap silicone sleaves to help reduce the wear and tear. You'd be surprised how often a shearwater wired up to a CCR gets loose and hits the deck, bench, etc. Cheap insurance.

Any person with a lick of sense can see that.

So just shut up and quite sharing an alternative point of view? Got it. I'm done. Enjoy your bling.
There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and insulting someone who disagrees with you.

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and insulting someone who disagrees with you.
I never insulted anyone to any greater extent that I was insulted for having a different opinion.

I've done about 1,500 dives on Shearwater computers since 2010 and have the repair bills for cracked screens, cases, and floods due to damage. I bought a couple of cheap silicone sleaves to help reduce the wear and tear. You'd be surprised how often a shearwater wired up to a CCR gets loose and hits the deck, bench, etc. Cheap insurance.

10+ years for me, 423 dives & 5 different Shearwaters. Never a single repair.

Back
Top Bottom