Shearwater Perdix 2 Silicone protective frame?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Should I get one of those silicone bumper cases for my black titanium Perdix 2? It's in excellent shape and I'm the kind of person who doesn't like scuffs on my gadgets. 😂
Do they work? Any downsides? Which ones you have good/bad experience with?
If you can tolerate the slow shipping from China, AliExpress will have the same cover at 10-20% of Amazon prices

If you can tolerate the slow shipping from China, AliExpress will have the same cover at 10-20% of Amazon prices
I've started ordering from them also recently. The shipping delay is not even half that bad in most cases.

If your computer doesn't have the required scratches and scrapes, you're just a poser. You don't want to be a poser do you? :wink:
Maybe Shearwater could offer a pre scuffed and scratched edition? The SAS version? The Commando? The Sea Hunter (homage to Mike Nelson).

I strongly suggest a silicone cover. I have cracked the screen of a Petrel by dropping on a tile floor in my house, which prompted me to buy covers. I've also been rolled over rocks and barnacle shells in the surf a time or two. You might not be the type that bangs their gear around but tell that to the steel boat ladder swinging in 5-foot swells.

I strongly suggest a silicone cover. I have cracked the screen of a Petrel by dropping on a tile floor in my house, which prompted me to buy covers. I've also been rolled over rocks and barnacle shells in the surf a time or two. You might not be the type that bangs their gear around but tell that to the steel boat ladder swinging in 5-foot swells.

The Petrel did not have a protective bezel. On those models the silicone sleeve might have made sense, although I never used nor needed one on the 2 Petrels I owned. If you were to drop a Perdix in such a way that the screen is going to crack, a silicone sleeve isn't going to do squat. With the protective bezel, screen protector film and indestructible body of today's Perdix models, the only thing these silicone sleeves prevent are purely cosmetic scratches and scrapes. I stand by my view that they are a silly waste of money. But use them if you wish. It's your money and your computer.

The Petrel did not have a protective bezel. On those models the silicone sleeve might have made sense, although I never used nor needed one on the 2 Petrels I owned. If you were to drop a Perdix in such a way that the screen is going to crack, a silicone sleeve isn't going to do squat. With the protective bezel, screen protector film and indestructible body of today's Perdix models, the only thing these silicone sleeves prevent are purely cosmetic scratches and scrapes. I stand by my view that they are a silly waste of money. But use them if you wish. It's your money and your computer.
The cover also lets me quickly identify my Perdix when there are several in the rinse tank....and tells others not to touch it. Mostly I like the bump protection...the silicone softens the blow when the computer hits something.

Beg to differ. I also have a Petrel2 with a chunk/chip missing from the battery compartment. They may be tough, but definitely are not indestructible.

The the silicone cover does help reduce shock, as evidenced by untold billions of silicone phone covers. No need to be so ridiculously contrary on an obvious issue.

Back
Top Bottom