Shearwater im not happy at all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dealer should be replacing the defective unit or providing a refund.

Not when they aren't a Diagnostic/Repair facility....

What if it turned out to be a simple fix, or the re-seller, who doesn't really know the unit perceives it is working fine by some stroke of luck, and diver gets hurt using it without full diagnostics? What if he hands out a new one on his own accord, only to find there was a simple fix, and now there is a used computer... who eats that? Seems the entire path has been correct, timing has been "awkward", and there really isn't an issue at all as the unit is being replaced....

Whenever I read one of these "complaints" about Shearwater (And I agree with everyone else... UPS misplaced the damn thing...) but I like to substitute "Shearwater" with literally any other computer supplier...

"I sent Mares/USD/DiveRite/Cochrane my faulty computer and they sent me a brand new one never, but they did fix it in 11 months... and only charged me for parts and labour... Awesome service"

Shearwater has elevated the bar to such a level that they sometimes become the victim of their own high standards.

Perhaps this wasn't an ideal situation, but I can guarantee you that it's 25x better than anything else you would have received.

Shearwater makes terrible computers and they have terrible customer service. :wink: When it comes back go ahead and send it to me and I'll send you a Zoop...way better computer!

I can almost guarantee it's because of the two countries having holidays. I have package going to Canada that I dropped off on the 3rd and it just went through a transfer in Denver.

Shearwater makes terrible computers and they have terrible customer service. :wink: When it comes back go ahead and send it to me and I'll send you a Zoop...way better computer!
I'll up Ryan's offer. I'll send you a Vyper Air w/ transmitter, better than a Zoop. Almost apples to apple trade.

I guess it's been deleted by the poster or a Mod, but to the knob who suggested the OP spend money on some English lessons, I'd like to point out that OP lives in Montreal, Quebec, our largest province. Quebec is primarily French-speaking... And of course French is one our two official languages. Maybe whoever posted that comment could spend some money and go back to Grade 6. :)

Hi,

I understand your frustration. Something so new, especially a product from a reputable company, should not be defective when it just came out of the box.

As others have stated, we are dealing with federal/national holidays on both the US and Canadian front. Additionally, a 5 day turnaround that Shearwater quoted you means 5 business days to me. This means no weekends or federally observed holidays. Additionally, that does not include the time it takes to process and ship the computer to you via the courier they use. While it is an inconvenience, one must also understand that the computer being inspected by Shearwater is not the only one likely being sent in and being inspected; there are other customers to tend to as well.

My employer uses UPS exclusively, so Fed Ex isn't an option for customers. We do a huge amount of business with UPS (express mailing checks for loans, withdrawals, etc.) If a customer claims to have not received their check, there are official processes we have to follow before doing a 'stop-and-replace' of a lost/missing check, and sometimes it can't be done until UPS completes their investigation. There can be exceptions to our policies, like the $ amt of the check, and does the customer have sufficient remaining funds in their account that we can go after in the event they are lying if they try to have us issue 2 checks and cash both fraudulently. Do they work for an employer who we can pressure to recover funds via a customer's HR department ?

I never cease to be amazed how many people are 'unbanked' , meaning they don't use EFT, don't have checking/savings accounts, and actually need physical checks mailed !

Some of you ask what wrong for me it is obvious as a recreational diver and customer when i buy something new i expect it to work out of the box and if it is defect to get new one no question ask. Why i dont have a backup? sorry but i dont have another 1500$ to put on a computer for recreational diving and i think i shouldn't. We buy it from a local store but choose to contact shearwater before the store and shearwater instruct us to send it to them not back to store. A diving computer is a critic piece of my equipment maybe my expectation are to much but for me i would have expect to been told here is a return label stick it on the box and when we receive it if not abuse we will send you a NEW unit AZAP end of the story a happy diver....or go back to store we will give you a new one a happy diver....also a top of the line computer should not have to be a hassle to update as the app was not even able to connect and updated out of the box i lost a complete night try to updated it to learn later it was app bug they now fix.

-so what wrong first make me paid 40$ for return and take all the risk associated with shipping it back lost damage etc....
if my shipper fedex lost it i would be the one to deal with the hassle and wait for insurance and do claim sorry I shouldn't. Remember this unit is new just out of the box so i dont expect to pay for a return or take the risk with it it is a QC problem.

-next when i buy a new unit i expect it as a NEW unit not a refurbish so to heard about repairing my unit for me was not acceptable. To there defence yes they agree to give me a new unit after i ask and call.

-last wrong is to tell me they open an investigation and wait for ups to see what next....i was expecting sorry our shipper lost it we will send you another one and WE will deal whit ups....to there defence yes they did it yesterday after noon after i clearly told them i was piss....because im out of computer and i also waste to much time with it.

for my bad english to my defence im french native and never study english but i kick my ass and learn it my self so for the one who come and bash my bad english you could go to hell....

i dont want to loose more on this story. Shearwater could benefit from it and change there policy or continue as they want maybe some of you are confortable with the way it is handle good for you but i share my experience so other buyer know about it and shearwater know about it are not those forum made for it after all. Are they a bad company no i dont think so and i never tell so and i never bash them i only share my experience my situation is irritating and not the best and i tell it. i may change my mind with time after i use my computer but so far sorry im not happy whit the lemon i got as i only got problem with it since i open the box....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom