Shearwater im not happy at all

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't see a real problem with Shearwater here. You're frustrated, we get that, but why at Shearwater? Are you diving the Doria tomorrow? Don't you have a back up? Hell, I have back ups for my back ups. PDCs, lights, BCDs and more all have readily accessible backups.

As far as shipping goes, the shipper (on the return) is shearwater's responsibility in my mind. If shearwater chose UPS and UPS lost it, it's shearwater's problem.

IMO, it may be Shearwater's responsibility to track it down, but it is not Shearwater's "fault" that UPS lost it. So no need to be angry with Shearwater for that.

I don't see a real problem with Shearwater here. You're frustrated, we get that, but why at Shearwater? Are you diving the Doria tomorrow? Don't you have a back up? Hell, I have back ups for my back ups. PDCs, lights, BCDs and more all have readily accessible backups.
But do you have a backup drone? :wink:

But do you have a backup drone? :wink:
Well, my drone can back up. Does that count? :D I do keep extra parts for my drone on hand.
  • Gimbal w/camera (ordered and should be here soon)
  • Gimbal Plate
  • Ribbon cable for the camera
  • Rotors
  • Batteries
  • My Samsung 7 doubles as a backup viewer
  • Etc
  • Etc
FWIW, as I depend more on my drone to enhance my travel blogging, the idea of having a full backup drone appeals to me.

While UPS may eventually take control of the situation, they are well short of foolproof.

Over the past 5 years, we have found 7-8 items from UPS at our door that were clearly addressed to someone a block or two away. We have walked it over to the proper recipient each time. On two occasions, the box delivered to our door was not addressed to a real address, and the name on it was no one we knew. We were the closest address to what was on the label, so it guess they decided that was close enough and gave it to us. In those cases, we called UPS and asked them to come pick it back up. If we had tossed it instead, it would have been permanently lost.

My guess is that in each case, the driver was on a tight schedule, and the pressure to deliver all the packages on time led him or her to decide that delivering to the wrong address was preferable to taking the time to find the right address.

IMO, it may be Shearwater's responsibility to track it down, but it is not Shearwater's "fault" that UPS lost it. So no need to be angry with Shearwater for that.
True enough.

UPS also hasn't said they lost it yet from the sound of things. They don't have a record of it being delivered, so maybe it still will be delivered. Personally, things like this are why I like fedex. Not that they are infallible but I've been using them most of the time for about a decade and have had zero packages lost when sent via fedex. Sometimes their pricing is just over the top though. I remember Fedex wanting over $100 to overnight a video card to some guy in Canada. I didn't ship fedex that day, and luckily UPS delivered the package.

but not sure why they are dealing with Shearwater directly and not the dealer they purcahsed from

there have been some "quirky" things that the dealers really couldn't answer, and tech support has been exceptional in resolving/diagnosing, and once that "wormhole" is opened, it is either send it in to SW in Canada or to the repair center in the US. The dealers aren't repair centers. That being said, perhaps a dealer could have worked out a direct swap for a problem unit, but I don't know....

And, if, like me, the dealer is on the opposite end of the continent, what good does it do?

Sorry to hear that your brand new dive computer had issues. That is no fun at all.. . but from your description of events and timeline, it looks like Shearwater did an excellent job of responding to you, in a timely manner and by giving you a brand new computer. Considering that July 1 and July 4 are major holidays in Canada and US, perhaps you might have unrealistic expectations for delivery times? Update us when you receive your shipment.

as stated above, you also are dealing with Canada Day (7/1) and Independence Day (7/4) as National Holidays for the Company and the Delivery Service....

FWIW - my dry suit has been sitting in a FedEx facility for 3 days now, in what appears to be a days drive to San Diego..... Should that make me mad at DUI?

there have been some "quirky" things that the dealers really couldn't answer, and tech support has been exceptional in resolving/diagnosing, and once that "wormhole" is opened, it is either send it in to SW in Canada or to the repair center in the US. The dealers aren't repair centers. That being said, perhaps a dealer could have worked out a direct swap for a problem unit, but I don't know....
The dealer should be replacing the defective unit or providing a refund. Then the dealer can take the issue up with the manufacturer per whatever agreement those two have between each other. If it's matter of answering a functionality question, that's one thing but if the device doesn't function then it should be replaced or refunded in short order.

And, if, like me, the dealer is on the opposite end of the continent, what good does it do?
It's a good argument for using a local dive shop when possible... For what it's worth, this situation is exactly why I don't have a Ratio dive computer. They appear to be better (for my purposes) than the shearwater and scubapro computers I already own. I'm just not willing to risk that big a purchase without a store near my house (or at least an online store like amazon that takes customer service seriously).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom