Shears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SquintyPete

Contributor
Reaction score
Being the cheap person that I am, I have seen a way of going around spending 20 bucks for a set of EMT shears and a pouch.

I saw in my local Wal-Mart Sporting Goods section a set of Camp scissors w/ a bright orange handle.

Had some webbing type material and sewed a pouch for the material with a vertical or horizontal "belt" loop.

"Scissors" were less than 5 bucks. And hey it’s got a can opener and other "tools" built in.

It’s not much but it’s my first successful scuba project to be completed. The Float/flag is nearing completion, but due to crappy sewing maybe restarted.

Smear some silicone grease on the hinge pin, even if the packet said stainless steel - usually the blades are stainless, but the pin is just steel, and will rust the first time it sees water.

You can pick up scuba shears for around $3-$4 - as you found out, just don't go to a scuba shop! They're usually just repackaged EMT shears.

Look at me, posting to the Binford room.

I stole this idea from someone. Last dive I actually had occasion to deploy the shears. Worked like a charm.

K

Shears Quick Draw

I've ditched the boltsnap from my homemade sheath, and now just ziptie it directly to the pocket bungee. There's no need to unclip the sheath from the pocket, and it means a little less stuff in the pocket to sort through. Plus it makes it harder to forget your shears if there's ALWAYS a pair in there.

great, another Bolt Snap to put up on eBay.

You suck.

K

NO WAY - I just checked out your profile.... where's the grub? The diet coke?, the blue sky. I'm deeply disappointed, man.

I don't lurk here - propellers spinning way to fast for me in this room.

Its that tubing at Home Depot - It's in the plumbing department by where the Ice Maker installation stuff is kept. They sell it on the roll - its 3/4" tubing.

Ben's "zip tie it directly to the ring" idea was genius. I highly recommend it.

I gotta go - I'm getting a flannel rash from this place.

K

Mo2vation once bubbled...
Ben's "zip tie it directly to the ring" idea was genius. I highly recommend it.
It's patented. You can PayPal me the $1 royalty :D

Scubaroo once bubbled...
It's patented. You can PayPal me the $1 royalty :D

I just picked up a PVC cutter at Ace Hardware (small hardware chain).

It looks like pair of garden shears, but will cut 1 1/5" PVC pipe and is unbelievably sharp.

I haven't had to cut my way out of anything yet, but I can't imagine getting stuck in something it wouldn't cut.

Back
Top Bottom