Sharm trip report - a very long one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania

Cousin Itt
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As promised - the report.
So there were 13 of us. 9 are divers - one instructor, one PADI Rescue ,5 AOWD (with the expierience of 70 - 150 dives)and two fresh OWD.

So the first day were local dives - Middle Garden and Paradise. I quite like Middle Garden and it was good to have nice and easy dives after 4 months of no diving. The weather is great, sea temp +24 Centigrade. All of us happy to be back in water and back in Sharm.
In the evening we went to the old Sharm – I did the tour for my friends taking them to the best coffee shop and – to be honest – visiting some of the very few shops you can buy beer. We ended in the Sanafir hotel drinking with my Egyptian friends and watching preparations for the Pacha opening.

Second day - Tiran. First dive is Woodhouse Reef - the longest reef among the Tiran reefs - it has more than a mile of length. Our instructor during the briefing reminds us to look from time to time to the blue. And - he said - look at the sandy bottom because sometimes sharks like to rest there. None of us in fact thought it could really happened. After all most of us were here so many times and never saw a shark. But ... we started the dive and after 5 or 7 minutes one of us looked down and... yes - there was a white tip shark resting!!!! it was at the depth of appr. 40 meters. We went quite close to it and then the shark simply looked at us and swam away. Wow!!!! The whole gang was so excited!!! We continued our dive along the wall and after something like 20 minutes of the dive we saw the second white tip shark - bigger than the first one - swimming not far away from us. Excitement in fact turned into the ecstasy!!!! As I wrote most of my friends saw sharks for the first time and in fact to see 2 during one dive.... Unfortunately we didn’t filmed them – our camera’s housing is only for 30 meters and the sharks were deeper..... 
Second dive was Jackson Reef but from the other side of the reef than it’s ussualy done. The major advantage – no divers but us!!!! Those of you who go to Sharm very well know how it may look there. One of my Egyptian friends – an instructor – calls it jacuzzi dive – you dive in bubbles of other divers....
So Jackson from the other side is maybe less beautiful but much more quiet....And we met with couple of napoleon fishes – one was at least 1,5 meters big.
On the way back to the jetty we met a huge family of dolphins – there was around 30 of them. They do love to play with the boat and race with it. So instead of going back we spend half an hour playing with dolphins.

Third day – Ras Mohammed – Shark and Yolanda Reef

There was a bit of the current so the fresh OWD needed help – they all did their OWD dives in the fresh water and were not trained to deal with the current. During the briefing we told them to stay close to the bottom – at Yolanda, close to the wreck – it’s about 18 meters – but as all new divers they had problems with buoyancy so we had to help them a bit. We had a camera so we did some funny movies with the toilets lying at the bottom. Yolanda reef has its name from the Cypriot merchandise ship that crashed on the reef in 1980. It was full loaded with brand new toilets, bathtubs and sinks plus cases of whisky (where are they gone...) and BMW that belong to the captain of the ship. So the sanitary stuff now lay at the bottom – we immediately decided – the ones on the right are Ladies room, on the left – Men’s room. It should be funny on the movie.... On the way back we had a nice drift – we did nothing – the current was taking us straight to the boat.

Ras Gaslani – it’s a diving site you don’t find in the most of the guides. I don’t know why – it’s just the beginning of Ras Mohammad and it’s such a lovely garden!!! This dive was a nice and quiet but wait to hear the story of our second dive there....

Fourth day – Local again.
Ras Nasrani – The name Nasrani has a funny meaning in Polish so it makes us laughing. In fact Ras Nasrani is called local although it’s almost at the Tiran island. There for the first time I saw red anemones!!!!! The one I know (also from the Nemo) is brown but there were red ones....
Pinky Wall – a bit boring. It looked more like Croatia that Red Sea. But lovely drifts dive so it was a very lazy one. In the afternoon we all agreed to do Thomas Canyon next day. That meant no drinking and a decent, long sleep.

Fifth day. Thomas Reef – The Canyon.
First we were divided into two groups – those who do the canyon and those who cannot. This dive had to be carefully planned – after all it’s around 60 meters deep. So we changed our gears a bit – to be ready for such dive, were dropped in a different place that the first group and..... First you go down to 30 meters – this is where the first entrance is. You enter the canyon one by one slowly going down. This place is absolutely beautiful, full of lionfishes. We descended to 60 meters and spent there around 10 minutes. We did only the first arch – most of the guys used the air rather quickly. I was swimming with my girlfriend as a buddy and we are both lucky to have a good air consumption. So we were rather unhappy that we can’t do the second arch – but we didn’t want to go there only two of us. Slowly we ascended and at the end of the dive we saw a turtle having his lunch at the reef. It was not bothered by the divers and continued the lunch. Finally we had to go out. Wow, that was a dive!!!!!
This evening we had a party that was the Pacha opening in Sharm. It was an incredible party – you should regret you weren’t there. Snow falling from the sky, pool dances, British and Russian circus dancers and acrobats. There were so many things going on that it was difficult to notice all of them. Danny Rampling was the DJ- a globally well respected DJ. The guy knows how to play the music that for sure. Because of the party we agreed with our diving center that the next day we would start late.
So we did late. It was strange to see the always overcrowded jetty so quiet...
Because of the late night we did local dives. So here comes the last
Sixth day – Ras Gaslani again.
It started easy. With my friend we went down leaving our guys behind. But after some time we decided to go a bit shallower. And then we saw a turtle heading to the surface. So we stayed looking at the turtle that finally decided to go down again. It laid at the bottom and seemed to fall asleep. Meantime our guys came and started to film the turtle. This one must has been circus trained or something like that. Once it saw the camera started swimming along us, playing with us, touching us and so on. So we spent with it something like 20 minutes. Finally although with sorrow it was time to say goodbye. We swam farther. Suddenly two huge napoleons came and similar to the turtles were acting like models in front of the camera. So we were so excited – so many attractions during one dive. So sure that it was enough we slowly started to ascend. And then suddenly a manta came!!!! It was first time in my life I saw manta. It was 2 meters wide and about 1,5 meter long. This animal swims with such a grace. It’s the best ballet I ever saw.
When we finished this dive we were speechless. We couldn’t believe it all happened. We had to watch the movie immediately to make sure we didn’t dream about it.
And the last dive – Temple. It was in fact mostly for fun – I like Temple for its coral formations. Here we mostly did some funny stupid movies about...Teddy Bear underwater. We took him with us, taught him the frog kick, put him in the reef so it attracted fishes, taught him how to use a regulator and so on.....

And that’s the end. We are all safely back home ready to go back again. Some of the pictures would be soon – unfortunately our photo camera flooded. The movies also soon be ready but they need more editing, so be patient.

Mania

Nice to have you back Mania, and a great trip report :wink:

Where abouts is Pacha?

I've still got a whole 5 months before we return to RS.... :frown:

chippy:
Where abouts is Pacha?

I've still got a whole 5 months before we return to RS.... :frown:

Pacha is in the Sanafir Hotel - Naama Bay. some extra info could be find here:
www.pachasharm.com
Mania
PS. Chippy - I'm planning a weekend in Sharm in August but it all dependes on the charter planes and their schedules. And I have one question to you - as I wrote our camera flooded - probably there was a hair under the o-ring of the housing. Later on we flooded the camera with vodka - remembering that alcohol absorbs water and salt at the same time it doesn't destroy anything that is electronic. Do you think it will be working????

Possibly.......one thing that does work occasionally, is to soak the camera (minus the batteries) in distilled water for a while, and then leave it to dry thouroughly.

The vodka might work though!!

I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Thanks for the link too - i'll check it out. :wink:

By the way do you know what for us Poles it meant? I twas the biggest sacrifice to waste a half bottle of vodka....We were seriously concidering drinking it later on from the camera... After all it would taste a bit like margherita wouldn't it?
Mania

You mean you through it away afterwards :11:

Would have probably been ok with a dash of orange juice or something :wink:

mania:
Fifth day. Thomas Reef – The Canyon.
First we were divided into two groups – those who do the canyon and those who cannot. This dive had to be carefully planned – after all it’s around 60 meters deep. So we changed our gears a bit – to be ready for such dive, were dropped in a different place that the first group and..... First you go down to 30 meters – this is where the first entrance is. You enter the canyon one by one slowly going down. This place is absolutely beautiful, full of lionfishes. We descended to 60 meters and spent there around 10 minutes. We did only the first arch – most of the guys used the air rather quickly. I was swimming with my girlfriend as a buddy and we are both lucky to have a good air consumption. So we were rather unhappy that we can’t do the second arch – but we didn’t want to go there only two of us. Slowly we ascended and at the end of the dive we saw a turtle having his lunch at the reef. It was not bothered by the divers and continued the lunch. Finally we had to go out. Wow, that was a dive!!!!!

Mania

The second arch on Thomas Reef Canyon is probably the best place for diving near Sharm. :wink: I was there a week ago. By the way, Mania, with what dive center did you dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom