Sharm Safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notwithstanding the civil strife, which is mostly centered in Cairo, I would not hesitate to venture into Upper Egypt....or to Sharm el-Sheikh. Ultimately, though, you have to be comfortable with your decision and if the unknowns are going to be a distraction, I would simply pick another destination and bump Sharm down a couple of spots on your bucket list.

I was just in Sharm. I'm an Egyptian so I don't know how different it is for tourists but the place was crowded since it was an Egyptian National holiday and there didn't seem to be any security issues.

I am surprised that an ambassy would fing Cairo safer that most touristic places in on the red sea. All Egypt is not entirely safe, and you are taking chances. I am still going ther but on liveboard. They are pretty inexpensive and an excellent $ per dive ratio. it is much more difficult for a guy with a dynamite belt to swim to a liveboard than to explode himself in front of an hotel.

I'm planning a liveaboard in late September. I am not worried one bit. I don't see why anyone would be. As sensationalistic as news coverage is, if there was something to worry about, there would be incidents going on. Traveling anywhere has the same requirements: don't cause trouble, be respectful, don't flash wealth, and chances are, no one will bother you.

Thank you for the thoughts, insights and suggestions! My husband and I have decided to charge ahead with our Egypt plan for next year. We're so excited. We're looking at between 10 days and 2 weeks for the trip so we'll have lots of time for diving and playing tourist. Now the planning begins!

I spent 10 days in Sharm in April 2015. No problems, lots of security.

Enjoy your trip!

GJS

Got back a fortnight ago from El Quseir and I will never go again in April, the flight from Luxembourg to Hurghada was full mostly families from neighbouring France with screaming small kids, at least 40 of them on a 737 and the parents didn't care much, a real nightmare, it wasn't so bad last year in April.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom