Sharm in February?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley...ya, I remember my dive instructor friends in Sharm being very fond of their drysuits during wintertime.

2½ years ago I was fun diving 2 weeks in late March and was ok comfy in a 5mm and no hood.
But when working in Sharm that might be different.

Well, fortunately I live in Denmark...plenty of 7mms and drysuits to be had.
You think I should bring a drysuit? Or will a 7mm (or some combo wetsuit) be sufficient?
I am 187cm and 100kgs (think Danish peasant stock), so I am not exactly a skinny guy.

As for accomodation...I will probably pm you, Crowley, when we get a bit closer to my departure date...I hope that will be ok?

Do remember that the dive instructor/guides in Sharm live and dive WARM waters year-round so 23c to them might seem like freezing while its hotter than people many places in the world will ever see on their local day-to-day dives..

Do remember that the dive instructor/guides in Sharm live and dive WARM waters year-round so 23c to them might seem like freezing while its hotter than people many places in the world will ever see on their local day-to-day dives..

This is true and for sure, our acclimatisation to hot weather and warm water does make us feel the cold more readily than those hardy souls who visit us from the frozen realms of Scandinavia, for example, but actually, 22 degrees is pretty unpleasant for everybody - and it's been 26 in the water this week and the group I've been diving with, some in 5mm wetsuits, have been complaining about the cold. Regular visitors are bringing at least 5mm + hood, plenty of semi-drys being brought over, although so far the only drysuits I've seen were being worn by techies, and mostly in Dahab, where the water is a degree cooler than Sharm and the nearly permanent wind and the lack of shelter at some of the dive sites makes them much more desirable.

As I posted before, the general consensus is that we are in for a chilly winter. The water is already 3 degrees lower than the same time last year (26 compared to 29), and the temperature has dropped to the point where guests as well as staff are already turning up in the morning with light fleeces and long trousers - although it's the wind, rather than the actual air temperature, which makes the long sleeves a necessity.

Topper - me personally, I don't think a drysuit is necessary to dive here through the winter, and actually most of my friends and colleagues that own them admit that they go dry mostly to deal with the cold when exiting the water. They are an expensive luxury, I think, and they only get used for maybe 2 months of the year (possibly longer this winter!), whereas I wore my semi-dry for maybe 18 of the 22 months I have owned it, and never once was I uncomfortably warm in the water when I used it. Once the temperature hit 27 I started diving back in board shorts and a 3mm vest top + hood, although the hood was mostly for keeping my rather unruly hair under control! :D

I've just replaced my well-worn semi with the exact same model, but I'm going to wait until the temperature drops another degree before I start using it. I suspect I won't have to wait very long! :D
I think combo suits are ideal for Sharm because it gives you much more flexibility throughout the year. Friends say it's dropped as low as 18 degrees here and I have personally seen 31 in Na'ama Bay which is a pretty wide change, and a combo suit saves you having to buy three different suits to cover the variation.

If you already own a 5 or 7mm suit then bring it along and see how you get on. There are some good shops here with some quality suits and as a member of staff, you get a discount in all of them so you might save a few Kroner if you buy when you arrive.

Cheers

C.

It was a rather chilly summer as well as far as water tempratures goes, wasnt it?
When I was in Sharm this june the temps where only 25-26c most places (with 23c at some sites) and last year thats the temp we had in april..
Jumping in with a 3mill full suit gave a bit of a chill, but was fine once I got the over the first shock.

Btw, whats the prices like down there if I want to get a 5mil shorty? Cant find any shops up here that sell shortys for some reason :p

February id say go for a 7mm with a hood. And make sure you bring a fleece and beanie hat to keep the wind off inbetween dives. The water isnt that warm and the air/wind won't feel tropical either,

As above, this year has been a cold year, air temps never reached the usual highs and the water didnt heat up as much and has dropped faster. Its down to 24c here already and drysuit is being repaired as a matter of urgency or im going to have to stop working. Customers in rental 5mm suits are already requesting max 45 minute dive times due to cold.

Rental 5mm suits, lets be honest, is not quite as good as private ones though. Rental suits do get a lot more of wear and tear than personal ones..
We did have a dive in straits of tiran, cant remember for sure which reef, but probably jackson or woodhouse, where people started surfacing at 45ish minutes in june as well as it was down to 23c in the water and there was a noticeable thermocline.

Different tolerances to cold. Im borderline dangerously cold in 24c after about 40 minutes to the point i cant signal properly and sometimes have to hold my reg in. That's in a 7mm suit with hood.

Dropped to 25 in Sharm today - even in Na'ama Bay which tends to stay a bit warmer - and I had 26 in Tiran last week. I bought a new semidry in Dahab last week; it hits the water tomorrow! For all those who think that people who live in the desert get cold too easily I can promise you, there was not a single person on the boat today complaining of being too warm! The guy with the brand new 7mm semi said he was quite comfortable... until he took it off.

Wheeeeesh I am not looking forward to the winter! Fortunately I am taking the whole month of February on holiday to go somewhere slightly warmer - Switzerland! :D

Lol, going skiing or something? :p

I've never been skiing and have no real desire to try it, apart from the whole thing with the gluehwein. :D

Just a vacation - I haven't left Egypt since I got here in 2009, and it's starting to make me twitch! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom