Sharkwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After seeing this thread i got the movie last night.
I think it was a pretty good documentary.
The dude with the boat rocked! That is a meaningful job there.

Deff makes you think though from seeing this. It was hard watching them at the end throwing the sharks back into the water and watching them just plumet to the reef. It was horrible. :(

I took my wife and kids to see it at the IGFA fishing hall of Fame theatre last year... it may still be playing there. My daughter (8 years old) and my wife both loved it and they talked about it for a month to anyone who would listen to them about the sharks...

I didn't know it was available on DVD already... I'm picking up a copy!

Wys

:DOutstanding documentary. Although it is definintely disturbing. As an instructor I always get the question "What do we do if we see a shark?". I always tell me students "Enjoy it because the way thiings are going yu wont be able to see one again" When they ask me why I go into my shark conservancy routine. The world needs some sort of agency to enforce shark finning laws where ever they are established. That there is the problem as we saw on the film.
BTW i'm going shark diving in Sept.:D

I bought a copy recently and would have liked to have seen more swimming with the shark shots.

I live in Asia, and have to deal with sharks' fin soup more than once a year - it's considered a delicacy and a sign of wealth so is always part of celebratory dinners.

Until this long held attitude is changed, sharks will keep losing their fins. A few of us are slowly building up resistance and each time there is a company dinner (where you just know sharks' fin soup will be on the menu) the number of us ordering an alternative is growing. It used to be just me.

More importantly, a couple of Chinese couples I know bucked with tradition and refused to serve the soup at their wedding - this did not go down particularly well with their parents but if we can educate the younger generation and get them to join the boycott, there is more chance of success.

I've also been disappointed with the lack of sharks on recent dive trips to Thailand. I used to see them on almost every dive but on my last 2 trips have not seen a single one. :(

I bought a copy recently and would have liked to have seen more swimming with the shark shots.

I live in Asia, and have to deal with sharks' fin soup more than once a year - it's considered a delicacy and a sign of wealth so is always part of celebratory dinners.

Until this long held attitude is changed, sharks will keep losing their fins. A few of us are slowly building up resistance and each time there is a company dinner (where you just know sharks' fin soup will be on the menu) the number of us ordering an alternative is growing. It used to be just me.

More importantly, a couple of Chinese couples I know bucked with tradition and refused to serve the soup at their wedding - this did not go down particularly well with their parents but if we can educate the younger generation and get them to join the boycott, there is more chance of success.

I've also been disappointed with the lack of sharks on recent dive trips to Thailand. I used to see them on almost every dive but on my last 2 trips have not seen a single one. :(

Thank you for your post. We all can do our part, and I am happy to see that what you are doing is slowly catching on. All of us globaly need to support the organizations that are fighting to keep the sharks from becoming endangered. I had the pleasure of meeting Rob at our film festival here in Savannah and what started as a simple documentary on sharks became his crusade to save them. We all need to support his efforts!

Just know we consume more "shark" products unknowingly due to lack of truth in labeling. We as consumers need to hold manufacturers and suppliers responsible. http://www.shark.ch/Preservation/index.html

Happy diving and protecting my shark beauties!
Carolyn:sharks:

Last edited:
I have seen this movie. It was a real eye opener as I had no idea that the problem was so bad. The movie was presented really well and was actually depressing for me :(

Paul Watson (capt. of the Sea Shepherd) was also in the news recently, I can't recall exactly what for though.

I have seen this movie. It was a real eye opener as I had no idea that the problem was so bad. The movie was presented really well and was actually depressing for me :(

Paul Watson (capt. of the Sea Shepherd) was also in the news recently, I can't recall exactly what for though.

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society - News Releases

They are always in the news, but Paul fights the good fight!

Carolyn:sharks:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom