Sharkwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my own copy at Costco last week. IT was just ten bucks. Best ten bucks I ever spent.

Saw it just a couple of days ago. While it is a topic that needs to be brought to the attention of a wider public, I was somewhat dissapointed with the movie:

1. Rob Stewart puts himself at the centre of that movie in a very narcisstic way.
2. The story is no real story but rather an accumulation of individual episodes put together in a weird and seemingly exaggerated plot, again with RS at its centre.
3. Very few underwater scenes.

Apparently a lot of people on this board really liked the movie. I don't want to discourage anybody from watching it, but I didn't like it very much.

I have been monitoring this movie for close to a year. A few months ago it FINALLY made an appearance in Atlanta. I gathered up several fellow divers and went to see this excellent film. It really touched us, I even cried in places. This was well done. I did order the DVD to constantly show anyone who listens. I love sharks, even have a tattoo from a photo I took of a Caribbean black tip reef shark. I hope this movie will inspire others to help save these amazing creatures. We have to do something before it is too late.

The movie is spectacular!! As a marine biology grad student whenever I guest speak in a high school or college about coral reef ecology I tell the students they should try to see this film! :14:

I am aware of the the slaughter, saw it Palua while on a liveaboard. It's horrific maybe this movie educate more people and something will be done.

I finally broke down and watched this movie last night. It was not nearly as graphic as I had feared, though I did in fact see enough to be disturbed enough to not have slept well last night. I have a hard time dealing with animal suffering (human suffering too, but that is another topic on a different board), and knowing that finning was a main part of the film, I hesitated.

I would in fact suggest everyone see this. However I do have a beef or two with the movie. For one thing, detractors will say 90% of all statistics are made up on the spot. I would have liked to see some studies quoted, and more pontificating by the biologists and less with Sea Shepard. Whether you support Sea Shepard or not, they are very polarizing and many people on "our side" are turned off by that group. They need to be mentioned but perhaps not stressed as much as they were.

Anyway, all in all I thought it was a good film...

It's a great film. I recommend it to everyone. I took my son to see it at the Boston Sea Rovers Clinic and it was, quite literally, a life changing experience for him, he and Rob Stewart e-mail each other regularly now. If you can't see it in a theater, buy a copy of the DVD. It was only $10 at Costco.

About 8 months ago a few members of the production crew came and gave a screening of Sharkwater at my college, followed by a Q&A session. One of the most interesting aspects of the latter was the discussion of their shoot in hong kong (if memory serves) and their interactions with store owners who sold fins. Some ranged from outright hostility to disingenuousness but they said they had a few who actually considered what they had to say... it shows there's at least some progress I suppose.

The film itself was a bit jumpy, but i think the visual impact of scenes like the fins drying on roofs outweigh any overly harsh criticism. RS isn't going to win best actor (though at times it seemed he was trying) but to echo a previous opinion I too understand the need for marketing. 8.5/10 overall in terms of effectiveness as a documentary.

Just my $0.02

I have ordered the movie, but I have not had the guts to watch it yet. I know how bad the shark finning situation is, and I'm afraid I will have a very hard time watching this, but it NEEDS to be watched. Not necessarily by us that know of the situation and promote shark conservation, but those who are not aware of how severe a threat this is, need to understand it. As graphic as I have heard it is, I do believe that kids should watch it, after all, we will be handing Mother Earth over to them for guardianship. They need to know what they are up against.
Maybe I'll watch it this weekend..........

Got it at Costco yesterday and watched it. I agree Stewart is a bit too much in his "actor- star" status but the message is gut wrentching. 15,000. sharks killed during the time I watched the video. I'v enjoyed sharks on 31 of my dives. What a shame they are being decimated at this rate. The Costa Rica incident made me crazy. Money talks but what about the ecotourism dollars. We need to find a way to communicate (and arrange cooperation) that they can't have it both ways./ If they continue to support the finning industry we won't go there and spend our dollars enjoying the environment. The money brought in by ecotourism surely dwarfs the bribe money kept by a precious few greedy and corrupt officials. Wish we could arrange some sort of boycott.

Back
Top Bottom